A person with knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press that Brett Favre has informed the Vikings he will not return to Minnesota for a second season.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the team had not made an official announcement. The person says the
40-year-old Favre called coach Brad Childress to say his injured ankle is not responding as well to surgery and rehabilitation as he had hoped.
With Favre, of course, nothing is ever necessarily final. He also told the Vikings last year he wouldn’t play, but ultimately changed his mind and joined them immediately after they broke training camp.
Favre hurt his left ankle in the NFC championship loss to the New Orleans Saints. He had arthroscopic surgery in May.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)