Fried-Food Winners Announced For Fair
Two delicacies have reached the pinnacle of fried-food stardom at the State Fair of Texas.Three judges named fried beer the most creative item and the Texas deep-fried Frito Pie the best-tasting item in the 2010 Big Tex Choice Awards.
Another item that was popular with the judges was the deep-fried chocolate. You’ll be able to find the fried beer in the Coca-Cola Food Court and the fried frito pie will be at the Bert’s Burgers and Fries stand in Cotton Bowl Plaza near the entrance to the Midway. The State Fair of Texas starts September 24th.
Here’s a summary of all of the food entries:
* Fried Beer™ – Beer-filled pretzel pocket is deep-fried to a golden brown. One bite, and the escaping beer serves as a dipping sauce. 21 and over, ID required.
* Deep Fried Frozen Margarita – Sweet and creamy funnel cake batter is deliciously coupled with margarita ingredients. Fried, dusted with a tangy lemon/lime mixture and lightly spritzed with south of the border flavor, it’s served in a salt rimmed glass. 21 and over, ID required.
* Fried Lemonade – Lemon-flavored pastry is made from Country Time® lemonade. First baked, then fried, this taste-tempting treat is glazed with a mix of lemonade, powdered sugar and lemon zest.
* Texas Fried Frito Pie – A generous portion of savory Texas chili accented with a hint of sharp cheddar, encased in everybody’s favorite corn chip. Lightly battered and fried to a golden brown perfection. With its smooth medley of hot, meaty, crunchy, salty, cheesy, oozing goodness, “Texas Fried Frito Pie” transports you back to the golden age of fair food.
* Fernie’s Fried Club Salad – Super colossal 12″ spinach wrap surrounds generous layers of juicy diced ham and chicken, shredded iceberg, crunchy carrot strips, ripe cherry tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar and hickory smoked bacon. It’s deep-fried until lightly crispy and then topped with deep-fried sourdough croutons on a stick and served on a bed of shredded romaine lettuce. Choice of creamy ranch, thousand island or Caesar dressing.
* Texas Fried Caviar – Texas version of a southern good luck staple. Black-eyed peas are fried and laced with special spices blended with Old Bay® Seasoning. Available in regular or spicy.
* Fried Chocolate – A white chocolate mini candy bar and a cherry are stuffed into a mouth-watering brownie, dipped into delicious chocolate cake batter and deep-fried to perfection. The finished product has a warm just-out-of-the-oven taste! Topped with powdered sugar and a rich cherry sauce and served with chocolate-flavored whip cream.
* Deep Fried S’mores Pop-Tart® – Pop-Tart® with a sensational chocolate, peanut butter, s’mores flavor is lightly battered and deep fried. Hot out of the fryer, the sinfully diet-busting treat is drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with whipped cream.