Questions Raised Over Exploding Cell Phone
CEDAR HILL (CBSDFW.COM) – Just home from the hospital, Aron Embry describes what happened to him outside his home Thursday morning, “It basically exploded it caused some damage.”
Embry, 30, from Cedar Hill is talking about his new cell phone. He says he was calling his father on the new Motorola Droid 2 phone when he heard a loud pop.
“I didn’t feel any pain initially,” says Embry “I put the phone down and felt something dripping and I realized it was blood.”
But Embry didn’t head to the hospital right away; instead he went to Bray Elementary School in Cedar Hill where his wife works.
“He drove himself to my school so I could take pictures,” says Kara Embry.
Embry explains that he didn’t think it was that big of a deal, but his wife thought it was. After seeing his injuries she asked someone to call 911.
“I never in my wildest dreams thought of something like this happening,” says Kara.
KRLD’s Austin York Talks With Embry
Motorola says they are not aware of anything like it happening either. The company released a written statement.
Motorola’s priority is, and always has been the safety of our customers,and all Motorola products are designed, manufactured and tested to meet or exceed international and local standards for consumer safety. While we haven’t had the opportunity to examine the device, it appears to have a broken display. We have no reason to believe the phone “exploded” as it is still operational and intact. We believe this is an isolated incident and are not aware of any similar issues. We have contacted the consumer and will investigate this thoroughly.
“We will reach out to the consumer and investigate this thoroughly,” says Motorola Spokesperson Jennifer Weyrauch-Erickson.
Kara has the same phone as her husband, and now refuses to use it. They both upgraded and got the phones earlier in the week.
“I’m very worried about using the phone,” says Kara, looking at the phone.
Her husband did have to have some stitches, but says he has no hearing loss at this point. “I’m just fortunate to be standing here,” says Aron.
Embry says doctors told him he had no internal injuries to his ear.
He doesn’t have health insurance and now worries about his medical expenses, which he’s already been told have reached about $4,000.
Cell phone repair experts are raising doubts about Embry’s story. They say cell phones don’t just pop or shatter.
Vihn Le owns a cell phone repair shop in North Dallas. “Doesn’t make any sense to me.” he said. Without inspecting the phone himself, Le says it looks like it was dropped. Embry says it didn’t.
Le says in all of his years of experience, he’s never seen or heard anything like this. “For all the components inside the phone, there’s not enough voltage inside the phone to cause it blow up.
But Embry insists, “Evidently, it is possible. It happened to me.”
Embry says the phone never stopped working, and is still receiving emails. But he says he’s “definitely not going to use it in this state.”
Embry says he’s hiring an attorney and may take further action.