DISD Teen Diagnosed With TB Before Dying

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A Dallas Independent School District student diagnosed with tuberculosis has died. Health officials say the teenage girl died from an unrelated illness, but they’re still going to test her fellow classmates and teachers for TB.

The death of the 17-year-old student caught friends and classmates at North Dallas High School by surprise. “I couldn’t believe it,” one teenager said.

Those who knew the high school senior say she had been sick since at least October; that’s when she stopped going to class. It wasn’t until December that doctors diagnosed the girl with tuberculosis. The realization came just days before she died from an unrelated illness.

The TB diagnosis concerns student Lejla Pracic. “Everybody is kinda freaking out, it’s like, because if I cough do I have it? Have I been having it and not knowing it,” she asked.

The letter sent out to parents this week, which warned of the potential spread of TB, has caused some alarm. “I feel kind of shocked, upset really,” parent Angelo Leija told CBS 11 News.

The timing of the notification is what bothers mother Melissa Mosqueva. “Oh, I’m very upset,” she said. “We just got letters this week. I think it [student diagnosis] happened sometime before winter break.”

Officials with the Dallas County Health Department say they’ve just now became aware of the case and plan to visit the school later this month to offer free voluntary skin testing for TB on students and teachers.

“We’re not where people should be panicking… they should be concerned,” said the Director of Dallas County Health and Human Services, Zachary Thompson.

It’s that ‘concern’ that has plenty of student’s eager to be tested. When asked, “Are you getting tested?” one teen responded, “Yes. Definitely, definitely.”

Health department officials say students would have to have had prolonged exposure to the infected student, like being in enclosed environment with them, to be at high risk for infection. They say, realistically, very few people are at risk.

Anyone who wants to be tested right away can head to the main office of Dallas County Health and Human Services at 2377 North Stemmons Freeway.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Lil david says:

Its people like Schrodinger that are the problem with the world.To make such an idiotic comment like he did is just plain stupid.

1. Psychgirl says:

I agree!

1. Lil david says:

Thank you Psychgirl.I just cant believe that intodays times we still have such idiotic people out there making such racial remarks.

2. Psychgirl says:

There’s really no need for that… we don’t truly know the source. You sound pretty ignorant by the way.

3. L. Paschen says:

I was diagnosed with active TB on 7/1/10, and was misdiagnosed several times. My doctor thinks I contracted it when volunteering for Katrina, with the Red Cross. TB is alive and not just on the borders. I’am not an immigrant, just a caring individual that is blessed to be alive, because when I started taking the medications they injured my Liver and I almost died twice. I pray that none of the other students or faculty tests positive. It is the most misdiagnosed and loneliest disease there is. I was isolated from my loved ones for 6 months. I’m in the process of writing a book about my personal journey through TB, I have to take the TB meds or I would be dead as I have a holey lung. God bless everyone

4. Hemroidious says:

schrodinger, Shame on you for commenting something that might be true. And please, don’t say that there are things other than illegals coming across the border like drugs, diseases and criminals. Your comments may be true but they are idiotic according to people who know more than you do. Ok?

1. Monica says:

And you, really? You have nothing better to do than support an inaccurate comment?
      “schrodinger” is not commenting something that “might be true” it’s called libel. He doesn’t know anything and her loved ones are suffering enough as it is for some idiot to start running their mouth off about something that they know nothing about.

1. Lil david says:

5. Lil david says:

Hemroidious your name says it all.

6. Monica says:

Shame on you, you have no idea who this girl is, there are a lot of people who are missing her right now and you’re just running your mouth off as if you knew her, her friends, and family.
    And you owe someone ten bucks because what you believe is completely inaccurate.

7. Hemroidious says:

I know, I’m so sorry. so sorry for saying bad things. I’m so so very sorry.

No, HA! HA!, I’m not sorry! I was just kiddin, yankin your chain, pressin your button.
    Haaa! Haa!…, I’m not so sorry!
    hemoroidious is my name and pain is my game. Ha! Ha!

8. Raffzuniga says:

Getting upset about it doesn’t do any good. I don’t think the school has a way of knowing who has TB among students. It is not a required vaccine. It is the health department’s responsibility to safeguard the health of the public. If they knew the girl had TB when she was in the hospital and did not inform the school, then they should be liable for the epidemic if it spreads. I feel sorry for the loss of the young lady. I cannot imagine how mournful the family right now knowing that more students are exposed to the disease their child had.

9. Raffzuniga says:

10. latinsoldier1186 says:

wow, got curious about my high school and this is what I find, I feel sorry for the young girl and her family and friends, too bad she suffered, it’s surprising that such a disease is appearing in Dallas. for those that don’t understand the test for TB is not painful it’s just a little prick under the skin. I suggest for everyone to get tested. I unfortunately have to get tested due to my career. you ignorant fools should try joining the armed forces before making fun of unfortunate kids. risk is the game pain is what you go through to have a life. for all the students stay safe and maintain your health

Comments are closed.