Dallas Mayor Disavows ‘Key’ Presentation To Vick

DALLAS (AP) – The Mayor of Dallas says he did not sanction giving Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick a “key to the city.”

Vick won The Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year award this past season, his second in the NFL since serving 18 months in prison for operating a dogfighting operation.

Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway presented the key at a ceremony in Dallas last week.

In a statement issued Monday, Mayor Tom Leppert distanced himself from the gift.

“The action taken was not sanctioned by my office and was not an official ceremonial honor on behalf of the city of Dallas,” he said.

He said “official keys to the city” are presented by the mayor or an elected official designated by the mayor and are reserved for “an elected official of international status.”

“Clearly, this was not the case in this situation and one without my knowledge or approval,” he said.

In his own statement, Caraway said the key was “ceremonial.”

“These ceremonial gifts are different from the official keys to the city presented by the mayor,” he said.

As for honoring a convicted felon, Caraway said, “I care deeply about animals” and “am deeply sorry to offend anyone who loves animals.”

He acknowledged Vick’s past but noted that “since making some bad choices, Michael Vick has devoted time to speaking to children about staying in school staying away from drugs, making positive choices about picking friends and the importance of education. That was the focus of the event.”

Leppert said he has asked the city manager to “propose guidelines to prevent this situation in the future. Caraway said he would “welcome a clarification of the guidelines.”

Comments

1. Margaret says:

Are you kidding me? How does one hand NOT know what the other is doing? And WHY would ANY official give a football player from ANOTHER city the key to OUR city… And a convicted FELON to boot! I guess we reward criminal behavior now. That makes me SICK! SHAME on Dallas!!!

1. rng2 says:

How could he (Tem Dwaine R. Caraway) give a key to the city to Mike Vick?? Did he consider all texans prior to his decision ? Or did he just see one color? Mike Vick is a convicted felon. I know for a fact here in texas your cannot get a decent job with a felony record. You can’t vote , or get a passport for several years. But you can get a key to a city … WOW …. Our local state government is more corrupt than i thought it was…. god bless america ….the land of the free… what a freakin joke

1. Roger says:

Who really cares cares about this. People hase bigger things to worry about than some key being givin to M Vick. Get a Life. That goes for all of you

2. Richard says:

Caraway is as big a moron as Vick and yet another example of why I choose not to live or do business in Dallas. We’ll be hearing next that he gave another key to Charles Manson. But his constituents will just put him back in office again regardless of being a total embarrassment.

3. RML says:

Agree 100%!!!

4. malvin says:

Must you bigots persercute this man all his life. Not all of us feel the same way about Mr. Vick. He is now doing great things and should be commended for his successes. The message you send young brothers is there is no hope of redemption for past mistakes. Stop passing judgements and get a life. As for the man who resuced a “Vick dog” good for you. Mr. Vick owes you nothing he has paid his debt to society.

1. Youcant says:

Name 1 good thing he’s done for the people of Dallas?
        Youi can’t.

2. Megan says:

I agree totally with you Malvin.

2. llg says:

I agree 100% Margaret, this thug should be in prison not making tons of money and given a key to any city!! Disgusting, but just says pro sports has become a thug loving profession!!😦

1. D-Vine says:

Isn’t Thugs another way of calling a black man the “N” Word. Clever but not original. Tell me is Big Ben a Thug? Should he be allowed to play football making tons of money, playing in a superbowl? Get a grip people, Vicks a convicted felon because the system does what it always does to blacks. he didn’t murder anyone, he didn’t steal billions and leave people pennyless. You want justice serve push hard for Big Ben’s conviction like so many good american did for Vick’s conviction. You have a serial rapist runninng loose in NFL cities. Don’t believe it let you blonde, blue eyed daughter around him

1. Parent says:

I sure wouldn’t let my Blonde, Blue Eyed Daughter close to Vick.

3. Toni says:

Really… You couldn’t pick a more deserving person one who cares for the elderly the weak the poor….. You had to pick an ex con a dog killer a person who hasn’t learned his lesson he just learned how not to get caught … Way to go mayor want to B

4. Nancy Wood says:

This thing with Vick has nearly ruined all football for me. I cannot listen to any sports reporters without hearing something about Vick. Does the NFL not have any dog lovers? Apparently not. Vick has not changed, he has just learned how to avoid the questions and get what he wants (money). Such horrible acts of cruellty how can anyone think he is rehabilitated. Abusers of children and/or animals cannot be rehabilitated, proven fact. He should be dropped in a pit without any weapons and let the dogs he abused take care of him. This key to the city is a joke, why does Mayor Leppert not revoke the award? Seems simple enough to me to just call Vick and say, “We made a mistake, the key is not valid in the City of Dallas.” Now how hard would that be to do?

5. Nancy Wood says:

6. Tiffany R says:

Radio host and Mayor, Get over yourself and small mindedness. Michael Vick served his time. Made NUMEROUS apologies in his actions and words. Yet If Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan or Mylie Cyrus came here.. All of their PAST transgressions would be overlooked. As a matter of fact…less not we forget Mr Coke-head himself Charlie Sheen. Ya’ll would have been over joyed just to see him. What Hypocrites

1. Mis cellaneous says:

Don’t include me in your “Ya’ll would be overjoyed……..”. They’re all a disgrace.

2. Amanda says:

You are completely out of your mind – two major differences between the people you named and Mike Vick? 1. they aren’t convicted felons and 2. they weren’t awarded the key to the city! Are they idiots? Yes they are. Are they embarassing? Yes they are and so is Michael Vick. His so called “apologies” don’t mean he should be awarded for his pathetic, mean, nasty behavior. Bulk up your morals and stop making it ok for people to behave poorly. Bring back honor and dignity!!!!!

1. tiffany says:

Actually They have been convicted of things, but I guess drug usage is ok, huh? And your right I do have a better example. What about Rothenburger..or what ever his name is …He was ALLOWED to play in the bowl knowing full well that he was “only” suspended for his rape of that girl….really? Suspended.. if it was anyone else, someone of color, they would have went to jail………who did you root for in the superbowl?

7. Tiredofitall says:

It would be nice if Leppart would finally step up and admit that he does not nor will he ever have control over Caraway. Caraway has always done things out of protocal & thinking of no one but himself. He feels of himself as untouchable & above simple morals and ethics. But then again, when the Mayor, City Manager & City Council have always allowed Caraway to act in this manner without being held responsible – who can blame him for continuing and grabbing another bad headline. City officials know who really is in charge.

8. RJ says:

Everyone needs to step back and BREATHE! Do I agree with the actions of Mike Vick…absolutely not. The reality of the matter is he was the “fall guy” for the dog fighting operation b/c he was the one who bankrolled the operation with his friends. That being said, he acknowledged his wrongdoing and served his time accordingly. He got out of prison and returned to his profession of choice (football) and he has attempted to be a positive role model to children. I honestly don’t believe he would harm animals on purpose, he was just guilty of surrounding himself with the wrong people and making bad decisions. I applaud him receiving this award, even if it was unofficial. We need more people like Mike Vick, that being someone who makes a mistake, goes to jail and is able to return and get their life going in the RIGHT direction. Just reflect on how many people don’t get a fair shake after being incarcerated, no matter how minor or major the offense.

1. R.D says:

I agree with RJ. Mike has paid the price. He is not the one to be criticized.

9. Mis cellaneous says:

Yes Miss D-Vine, Big Ben is a thug and yes he should be in jail. Vick served his time but a key to OUR city? I don’t think so. He has no connection to Dallas and to my knowledge has done nothing for the citizens. I’m still scratching my head…I just don’t get it.

10. amichael says:

Either the Dallas Govenment has a few points shy of an 80 IQ or the Mayor of Dallas Pro Tem is a few points shy of an 80 IQ. What are they thinking? You cannot tell me that the Mayor did know of this……..come on. We all know where their priorities are. Wonder how many autographed memorabilia they received. Hope it was worth it!!! Just another way to embarrass Texas. Thank you Mayor and Mayor want-a-be

11. Heino says:

Dallas is such an embarrassment – an of out of control city government with corrupt city officials. If you’ve ever heard their city council meetings on 101.1FM, you’ll get some insight into why nothing ever gets done, why people like Dwaine Caraway think they can do whatever they want, and why the rest of them are in prison. It’s a total mess of a city. Thank God I don’t live there.

12. Meg Freeman says:

I am appauled Dallas would give Michael Vick a key to the city. I don’t understand why they would do such a thing and as far as I’m concerned Michael Vick has a long long way to go before he can redeem himself. I am outraged! Thank you Jody Dean for bringing this to my attention I would not have known about this if I hadn’t been listening to you on the news this morning.

13. Joni says:

Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway was trying to find some way to meet Michael Vick, plain and simple. What better way to make sure he showed up than to bestow an “honor” on him like this unofficial key to the city. It’s no different than Tashard Choice asking for his autograph after the game. Caraway is just a fan who used his office to get himself some face time with Vick. It just happened to be in public much like Choice’s situation. Pathetic.

14. Duane says:

Good Job Mayor Pro Tem

15. Kathy T. says:

If anyone deserves a key to the city, it’s the people caring for the injured and traumatized animals Michael Vick tortured for all those years. Mr. Vick deserves no accolades for being in prison, he does deserved to be reminded how lucky he is to be an ex-con with a job waiting for him. Face it, if he couldn’t play football, there’d be no city key for him–he’d be lucky to have a key to a restroom.

16. Shellena says:

Michael Vick, keys to the city????-somebody, quick, change the locks!

17. George says:

Fake keys to the city or not, what did Vick do for Dallas? I get that he’s trying to clean up his image and all, but giving him even a sandwich from Dallas is out of left field. Was Vick even in Texas when he did any speaking or public appearances before this?

18. Randy says:

This is SAD! I am so glad I do not live in the city of Dallas! Although I do live in a northern suburb…Dallas has dropped the ball SO many times, (such as not building a stadium) , that this ONE more act just adds to their in-competencies!

19. Heino says:

“in-competencies”! Classic! LOL!

20. Wrong says:

Just another black thinking blacks can do no wrong.

21. Bummer says:

Caraway is no better then vick s c u m b a g.

Comments are closed.