Memorial Held In Oak Cliff For 8-Year-Old Leukemia Victim

By Marianne Martinez, CBS 11 News

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – It was an unlikely place to find grace.

In the parking lot of an Oak Cliff Sonic restaurant Sunday afternoon, there were tricked out low-rider cars, rappers and tattoo artists.

But, there was also a lot of heart and support for a family coping with the loss of a little girl.

Eight-year-old Maritza Ruiz was diagnosed with leukemia in September. She died two weeks ago, leaving her family emotionally and financially devastated. Family friends helped organized a fundraiser to pay for the little girl’s funeral expenses.

“I think there’s a lot of good people in the world today,” said Maritza’s mother Sandra Ruiz. “I just thought it was going to be a little bit of help to bury my baby and it turned into all this.”

An entire community came together to help. Low-rider clubs put on a show, attracting dozens of onlookers and generous donations.

“I couldn’t imagine if it was my kid. I would want the same thing for people to show the support for me, too,” said Abbey Slade, who sold her hand-made hair bows and donated the proceeds to Maritza’s family.

The donations totaled about $2,900, which was more than enough to pay for Maritza’s funeral. The generosity of strangers has inspired Maritza’s parents to donate the remaining funds to other families struggling with cancer.

“My little girl is smiling at us and enjoying the show,” said Julio Chavarria, Maritza’s father. “She gave us a task to do and that is to help others.”

Comments

1. Louie chacon DUKES CC says:

Wanna thank u for coming out me and vana did a great job sponsoring this familia wich happen to be our good friends..changed alot of peaples lifes including mine.i have six kids of my own and cant even imagine something like this happen to me…much love to all who came…DUKES CC DFW

1. Denise Mays says:

Thank you Vana & Louie….It was an honor to be in the presence of this huge family….I felt this little girls spirit SHE WAS THERE!

2. Gabriel says:

Sorry I missed this, I had no idea until I saw the news last night. I lost my older sister to leukemia about 30 years ago, was devastating for my family. It’s nice to see the community turn out in support of the Ruiz and Charria’s daughter.

3. Dj SkillZ From dallas Lowriders says:

YESTERDAY WAS A SUCCESS AND I WANNA THANK EVERY 1 WHO CAME OUT AND HELP THIS FAMILY IN NEED IT WAS HONOR TO ME TO BE A PART OF THIS EVENT AND TO HELP OUT THE FAMILY AND ANY OTHER TIME THERES ANOTHER FAMILY WHO NEEDS HELP ILL BE MORE THAN GLAD TO HELP OUT…THANKS TO VANA AND EVERY 1 WHO WAS A PART OF THE EVENT

1. Pure Envy Car Club I & II says:

You are welcome from Pure Envy Car Club I & II IT WAS AN HONOR!!

4. Pure Envy Car Club I & II says:

What a huge success!! I immediately wanted to be apart of this and was excited until the day arrived. The parents of Maritza Ruiz has opened our eyes. It was an honor to be a part of the memorial fundraiser. God Bless her family and friends. Call on us anytime!! Thank you to my car club for the huge turn out. I appreciate you!

Comments are closed.