Smoking Ban Supporters Say It Would Help Economy

By Robert Wood, NewsRadio 1080 KRLD

AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) – Groups supporting a statewide smoking ban say there would be a big economic boost if that bill were to pass.

The boost is so big it even surprised the guy who did the study, UT School of Public Health Dr. Shelton Brown.  “$404 Million in total cost savings if we had smoke free in the workplace and in public places.”

A big chunk of that money comes from health care savings but there’s also a big amount that comes from increased productivity. Brown says some people will quit smoking because of the statewide workplace ban and that means fewer smoke breaks and more time on the job.

1. Lonestar says:

2. Garland says:

What would be the boost if the people that did these studies stopped doing drugs and actually worked at productive jobs? By the way I don’t smoke.

3. RON says:

This country was founded on the tobacco industry but say you got you wish and smoking was banned and everyone quit.YOU WOULD ACTUALLY HAVE TO PAY YOUR OWN TAXES.

4. bugger says:

I never understood why companies had smoke breaks.

5. Mike dallas texas says:

Heck yeah , if it is another law then goody lets write it ,

6. Diane says:

Just more junk coming from the grant junkies. In their zeal, they too got surprised when they seen the results. Just punch in some numbers and come up with hypoethicals. Actually, I wish they would just prohibit tobacco in all forms once and for all. The States and Federal Government survives on tobacco money and the smokers. Watch the money well run dry and then all this nonsense and junk science would go away.

7. Sara says:

Hers what this smokers says F Off, you dont pay for my cigs, you dont oay for my health insurance, hell you dont pay for anything that belongs to me.

Comments are closed.