Fort Worth Police Officer Shoots & Kills Suspect

By Robbie Owens, CBS 11 News

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Police in Fort Worth are investigating a “complex incident” involving an officer who shot and killed a man in a car that had three children inside. This fatal altercation took place Monday night near a gas station along Cravens Road, after the officer tried to perform a routine traffic stop.

According to a release, undercover officers were in the area looking for a man involved in drug trafficking. The release says that this “information was based on citizen complaints, officer observations and the individual’s criminal history,” which includes arrests for possessing weapons and narcotics.

The police located and stopped the car. During the traffic stop, police said, it was determined that the driver, 32-year-old Charal Thomas, had four existing warrants. He was told that he was being placed under arrest. According to Sgt. Pedro Criado with the Fort Worth Police Department, the driver then said that he would not go to jail and locked the car.

The release says the responding officer reached in the window to unlock the car when Thomas rolled the window up, trapping the officer’s arm. Thomas, according to police, continued to drive toward the freeway with the officer dangling from the car.

“The officer was able to place his feet on the driver’s side running board, unholster his service weapon and order the driver to stop.  The driver refused to stop.  The officer believed that, at the speed they were now traveling, he would have been run over and killed if he did not immediately stop the driver.  The officer aimed his weapon at the driver and shot the driver several times,” the release states.

Thomas was pronounced dead at an area hospital. The officer involved in this incident is recovering at a local hospital. Fort Worth Police Department officials are not answering further questions about the incident.

Police said the passenger, 46-year-old Cordell Davis, jumped out of the SUV into a nearby lawn. Officers quickly arrested him for outstanding warrants.

“I thought I heard maybe 35 shots,” Davis said. “The glass was hitting me in the face; if I didn’t jump out or fall out I feel I would’ve been shot and killed too.”

There were also three children inside of the car at the time of the shooting – ages 11, 8 and 7. None of those kids were hurt. They were released to family members after questioning.

Meanwhile, as reports of the shooting started to spread throughout the neighborhood, police officers and community members related greatly differing accounts.

“The police shot him and killed him,” Cliff Sparks said, repeating the story that he had heard. “He had his kids in the car.”

Those who knew Thomas were stunned by his death.

“He wouldn’t harm anybody, so I don’t know why he lost his life tonight,” said Mike Jefferson. “He’s a good guy. And it just don’t make no sense, the way Fort Worth Police Department handle us around here. It don’t make no sense at all.”

On Tuesday, more than 100 friends and family members gathered at a memorial where the shooting happened. They prayed and demanded justice, saying that the officer should not have opened fire because there were children inside.

“They didn’t have to kill my dad with us in the car, they should’ve let him drive the car and take us to the house and do what they have to do,” said Deslond Gordwin, Thomas’ 11-year-old daughter who was in the car at the time.

The investigation is ongoing, police said. It will include a detailed search of the SUV.

“I couldn’t believe they were shooting at us like that with the kids in the vehicle,” Davis said. “If I wouldn’t have fallen out, I would have been dead.”

The release adds, “according to the officer, he was aware of the children in the back seat and the passenger and, fearing for his life, aimed his weapon at the driver in order to stop him.”

More from Robbie Owens
Comments

1. darrell says:

following this from an earlier story im still hoping for more details, but just how do you get “attached” to a vehicle? if the victim never exited the vehicle and was trying to escape, im sure he didnt reach out and grab the officer. did the officer do something that placed himself in harms way? this was a senseless and avoidable death looking at the information currently provided. unless the victim had pulled a gun on the officer, the officer never should have fired into a vehicle full of kids.

1. Alli Anderson says:

darrell you can be “attached” my uncle was killed in the line of duty when some idiot grabbed his hand and took off holding him and dragging him before letting him go. Before you go spouting off about this is an avoidable death wait till all the facts come in. I know the officer involved in this and he had EVERY right to do what he did.

1. darrell says:

Alli, my condolences in regards to you uncle.
        with all respect to the officer involved and the entire police force, i indicated in my statement that my opinion was formed on the information available. “attached” can occur by many different methods and of yet i have not heard any details other than what has been contained in this and the previous article. unless you know facts that havnt been made public yet then please allow me to make my final opinion when i also know those facts. i respect your opinion wether i agree with it or not and i respect the fact that you can state it. please be courteous enough to allow me the same respect. thankyou

2. Cliff sparks says:

no he killed a good man this man had his kids in tha car with him fort worth police is wrong i have tha naaacp looking in to this so who ever u r u keep sucking tha police ass

3. Mr. D says:

I am so glad the NAACP was called!! They were already called I am sure, just like the Texas Ranges and other LAW inforcement agencies. If the guy tried to kill a police officer with his children in the car, IDIDOT!!!! If the cop was wrong prosecute the cop and even give him death if warranted!! Not everything is about race, oh wait, simple minded people it is always about race!!!

4. Nikki Henry says:

Just because you know the officer doesn’t mean you know exactly what happened. The people who know what happened are the surviving passengers in that SUV, the officer and the slain suspect. He had an obligation to try every other alternative before firing into a car with children in it. Let’s not rush to judgement on either side, what until the investigation. Just being a police officer doesn’t automatically make him correct, and neither does being your friend.

2. jenna says:

I agre with you and I would like to know more myself… my prayers are with Rah Rha’s family

1. PJ says:

Why is this a racial situation? Why is the NAACP even involved, CLIFF! If you were getting robbed, who would you call? If your car was stolen, who would call? If someone broke into your house and kidnapped someone in your family, what number would you dial? The fact still remains, REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENED, THE VICTIM BROKE THE LAW! WHEN YOU BRING HARM TO ANY POLICE OFFICER, EXPECT THE WORST. We are all human, RACE is not! The victim was not a very good Role Model in front his kids, PERIOD! If you break the law, you pay the price.

3. james says:

#1 you have no idea what went on that night.
      #2. The driver rolled the window up with the officers arm stuck in the jam.
      #3. Know the info before you open your mouth and look like a dip shi%…

4. PJ says:

What kind of role model was the victim being to his kids. He was basically showing them to do whatever you have to and get away from the police. you are supposed to do what the officer asks or tells you to do, period. That is what makes him a police officer. if you break the law, you pay the price! If you put an officer’s life in danger, you should expect the worst. i agree that it was an avoidable death. The day you put on a police badge, you are in harm’s way everyday. The victim should have obeyed the law!

5. ANONYMOUS says:

Did you not read it? When the officer asked the suspect to step out of the vehicle (through an open window) the suspect said ‘I’m NOT going to jail’ and locked the door. The officer reached in to unlock the door and remove the suspect (because the suspect was not obeying a LAWFUL order) and the suspect grabbed the officers arm, rolled it up in the window and held on while he accelerated.

Moral of the story, black guy dies because he made a white cop fear for his life, so the only possible outcome is the white cop is a racist and didn’t have any right to defend himself.

1. darrell says:

Anonymous, did you not read my comment or any of the other comments ive made on this subect?

6. I-Hate-Black-People says:

Having your arm stuck in a window of a car that is accelerating to high speeds towards a very large highway isn’t reason to fear for your life? You MUST be black. Shut the hell up and find something else to do with your time. The driver got what he deserved and you need to just stfu and come off of it because nobody cares about you or your opinion. I’m pretty sure the only reason you have ANY opinion is because you and that driver were both black. I bet if the driver were white you couldn’t care less.

1. darrell says:

LOL well good morning “BUBBA”. well I-H-B-P, im actually a conservative white guy about middle aged. its people like you who remind me of the ignorance most of us outgrow at around age of 14. while you are fumbling in your little closeted world of insecurity try to feel along the wall and see if you can find a switch. if you find it, DONT flip it on. we wouldnt want to brightness of the light to blind you any further than you allready are. you have a nice day child.

2. NoObamaIn2012 says:

Hey darrell… if the officer was attached to the car in any way, the suspect drove away intentionally and knowing the officer was attached to the car the suspect is now subjecting the officer to serious bodily injury or death. In addition, the suspect has placed his passengers in danger of serious bodily injury and dealth.

The officer had every right to use deadly force to protect himself AND the innocent passengers in suspects vehicle. Which he did safely and effectively without any harm to the passengers.

Darrell if you were that officer what would you have done to save yourself and the passengers in the vehicle from death or serious bodily injury? Ask the suspect to stop? Offer to buy the suspect dinner? Offer to let the suspect go?

3. darrell says:

if i am the officer and i can “detach” myself from a moving car with children in it without having to kill someone, then yes, i would let the suspect go. but either way you look at it, by killing the driver all you have done is “gaurentee” you now have a moving vehicle with children in it that is out of control.

1. NoObamaIn2012 says:

I work at Walmart in the electronics department and I heard about this on TV while I was working. What you say makes absolutely no sense and you are being completely rude. If you want me to listen to your asinine opinions you need to prove to me that your opinion is worth listening to. I have seven children myself, I know what it’s like. Don’t judge me.

1. darrell says:

Noobama, i wouldnt even consider judging you. any opinions i may have formed about you were determined when you entered the conversation. have a nice day.

2. Travonne says:

My name is Travonne and I have no idea how this actually took place. My prayers are with Rah Rah and his family and mainly his kids,because they will have to live with this for the rest of thier lives. One question I have is why did the police officer shoot and not Tazer? That would have stopped him in the same way the gun did.

1. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

Notice no one is talking about getting his children any counseling. Know why its the Fort Worth Way terminal injustice.

2. Aburm91 says:

Oh my god Travonne, if you are going to leave a comment at least read the article, you seem to have forgotten the fact that tasers cannot travel through glass, and that would be alot better to he his muscles sieze while on gas pedal..

3. Quit Whinning says:

Your an idiot darrell, the officers arm was rolled up in the window and he could not escape. He was about to be killed on the side of the car. You have a real h__d on for the Police and need to get some help, otherwise you’ll end up in a pine box.

1. darrell says:

QT the officer was able to free his arm prior to shooting the suspect. i have no issue with officers, i have an issue with justice. you may end up in a pine box, since ive got more class my box will be oak.

4. STFU-Darrell says:

Versus a vehicle already moving at the same speed with a driver that’s distracted by trying to harm a police officer slamming on the accelerator. I bet if the suspect was white this wouldn’t be as big of a story.

1. darrell says:

STFU, taking out the race issue would not have altered any of my comments.

4. texas heartland says:

Seriously people! The officer had probably opened the car door and was reaching inside to force the suspect out. When the creep started driving, the officer was dragged along with them. He has every right to shoot to save himself. This is ALL ON THE DRIVER of the car. Nobody else is to blame. Why anyone would want to be a cop with so many idiots out there is beyond me but I say God bless them all!!!

1. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

Blame the victim in your case the creep. Now lets wait for the spin that this was a rookie officer and he made a rookie mistake. A glitch in the system now this rookie will get leave with pay as he continues to work his off duty jobs endangering other Fort Worth citizens

5. Chris Caldwell says:

Darrell you are the type of person that want them there when somone is stealing your property. And if someone was dragging you in a car and shot them you would hollar self defense. I also think it is funny how people always say that a person would not hurt nobody, he is a good person, and I don’t understand why he was shot. He had warrents and he drove off. Thats not a good person; thats a criminal.

1. Brittany Sanders says:

because he had warrants?? that makes him a bad person?? Nobody knows what prompted him to drive off. We were not there so we cant say he just drove off for the hell of it. Only people that really know what transpired between that victim and the officer are the ones that was actually IN the car

1. Bree says:

He had several warrants then proceeded to try to flee that sets A GREAT example for your children. Instead of manning up and doing letting the officer do his job he instead tries to flee. HE GOT HIMSELF KILLED MAKING THE STUPID DECISION HE MADE.

2. Captain Obvious says:

Hmm… yes, any sensile good person would run away from the police, endangering HIS CHILDREN. Obviously this is grade-A parenting. Anything that came to this guy is well deserved, he could have easily killed his children, or the passenger, but oh for God’s sake no one cares about the police officer, the possiblity of him having kids, or a family, but Oh, we feel so bad for the guy who runs away from the cops, had warrants out for his arrest, and was reported by neighbors, and an undercover cop. Great guy there.

2. Lisa Williams Turley says:

I agree. They want to blame the police because a mother (who cannot convince me she did not know that her baby daddy had those many warrant) let her kids go out with a person we now know has been involved with the court system and police 4 times at least. Yes that is very responible. They want to blame the police because a FATHER and i use that term lightly, decided to go into a drug area with his kids in the car. Yes let blame the police because a father decided to run form the police with his kids in the car. Blame the police because he did what we like to call human nature and defended his life. Yes let blame him for doing the same thing the daddy did, put himself first, and defend his life.

6. Brittany Sanders says:

the officers should shoot to gain control of an UNARMED suspect. But FWPD always shoot to kill. So now another father has been taking away from his children forever all because the officer wants to earn some type of stripes. SMH

1. Noobamain2012 says:

Brittany Sanders — he was a wanted person and had a weapon – the car. And he used weapon against the officer. It’s all in the Texas Penal Code…… Maybe the officer had children also? Should the officer had died instead? No.

1. Charamyne1 says:

He may have been wanted because of warrants but had no weapon. If you knew him, you would know that he had to reach for his crutch in order to get out the car, which he kept on the passenger side. May when he did the officer thought he was reaching for a gun. If you want people to speak on facts than you do so. some comments are so ignorant. Was any of you there? Did you see it happen? Are you relying on what statement the officer made? The other person in this is dead and all there is left is what the officer says, unless there is video. If there is no video than how do we know he’s not covering for his own actions that may have been wrong. I don’t live there but I knew him when he lived in MO, where he is from. So I really don’t care how many get upset by what I say but I have the right to MY OWN OPINIONS and you dont like than scroll DOWN!!!

2. Mr.D says:

Until you have had a loved one who is a Police officer killed in the line of duty you should not speak!!! If he drove off dragging the officer (still not all know in fact). He feared for his life!!! He retaliatied as a cop should for his safety and his own life!!! The guy trying to run (Need facts) with kids in car, IGNORANT!!!! And a Criminal if he had warrants!!! The dictionary is around, read the definition, if he had warrants he committed a crime!!!!!

3. Quit Whinning says:

Their probably better off.

4. Craig H. says:

Brittney, Cliff & Charamyne1& Princess…..Really??? Having warrants out on you means you’ve made bad choices and just made another by endangering the life of your own children… Thomas obviously didn’t have his childrens best interest at heart or he would have got out instead of driving off! Then you have to wonder about the Mom that allowed her children to be out with someone who is evading arrest… and Lord please free us from the naacp!!! And death in whatever form is almost always witnessed by someone…Just because you are a kid doesn’t exempt you from seeing it! It is unwise to block your children from all things bad.. Yes they need protection from some bad things but not ignorance of them happening. His children could have learned a valuable lesson that night but now thanks to the ignorance of many “racist” people who are “cop” haters his kids wont have much of a chance. Everyone must face the repercussions for the choices they’ve made! Please stop the stupidity! Please pray for Thomas’ family and the Officer. They all need God’s grace to get thru this tragedy!

1. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

I AM YHVH DEITY god translation is governing oppressive device, good OLE deception, group of demons, government of deceivers. The deceivers kill in the name of god. god is immaculate deception, ignorance and fear. god is about forgiveness so they continue annihilating. There are no protectors amongst god followers.

7. george says:

Very SAD. Very complex indeed. How can u withdraw your gun and shoot 8 times while being dragged? Answer: a stepside and hanging on to the review mirror.

1. Princess says:

That’s what I’m saying George. It makes no sense. Because if he was being “dragged” how could he accurately withdraw his weapon and discharge it accurately multiple times without anybody else being injured or shot??? I’m just saying if we shoot everybody who does something “wrong” we’ll all be dead eventually. Stuff like this is why America’s death by handguns rate is one of the highest in the entire world. There is always an alternative to taking a life. Hell they didn’t even shoot the guy who pulled a gun and had the JPS clinic locked down a couple of weeks ago.

8. Princess says:

I agree that the suspect was wrong for not allowing the officer to take him into custody. He did ultimately cause the actions leading to what happened. With that being said though, the officer could have just tazed the suspect instead of shooting him multiple times. Or he could have just let go of the truck and pursued the suspect in his own vehicle. It’s not like all the police patrol cars, SWAT teams, and police and television helicopters would have let him go anywhere. And in response to a previous comment a pursuit only becomes high speed when the officers choose to follow at a high speed. Believe it or not some police depatrments actually do call their officers off chases for the safety of the public. It’s not like anyone in a high speed chase could get away nowadays anyway….There is always an alternative to violence. The most important and sad thing is that 3 children witnessed their father being shot to death while they were in the backseat. Right is right but that is just wrong.

9. Firewheelhondo says:

Plain and simple………if the guy would have complied with the cop’s request he might have gone to jail but he would still be alive today. He would have had 3 squares and a bunk he didn’t work for like the other criminals. Whether the cop was “attached to the car” is immaterial; if the driver would have complied and simply stepped out of the car he would be alive today. Period. What is so hard to understand about that?

1. jenna says:

Whats hard to understand is why did the cop fire a gun into a car with children in it – why did he kill somone when that person had no gun? how do you get “attached” to the car? did he jump on it? if so thats his problem and gives him no right to shoot and kill someone. there are a lot of details left out and I would really like to know them.

1. The One says:

Sigh.. Jenna, I know it’s hard to understand, but car can be considered a deadly weapon. I know Hollywood can have people jump off cars going 60 mph, though if you are going 30 mph and hit something, especially an area on your body that is unprotected, i.e. your head, could result in instant death. The officer was trying to unlock the door from the inside, therefore when the Criminal rolled up the window, the officer became “attached” to the car. He had every right to shoot that criminal, for endangering his life, you shouldn’t feel sorry for that stupid man who endangered his innocent children, the passenger, and himself. The police officers are the ones we should feel sorry for, they are the ones who have to deal with these ingrates every single day, then recieve flak for defending their own life.

2. Craig H. says:

AMEN AMEN AND AMEN!!

1. Craig H says:

by the way the Amens are to Firewheelhondo not jenna

10. jenna says:

This is so sad!! The office should have NEVER fired into a car with children in it…

1. Princess says:

I agree with you Jenna. Those three kids saw the whole thing. It just makes me sick to my stomach knowing that they’re going to have to deal with that for the rest of their lives. This is how we are bettering our society. By showing our children a life ending violently in person.

1. M.J. says:

You guys are ridiculous….so ridiculous…do you really believe that the officer is supposed to die so the children won’t have to deal with this…what about his family? According to all the charges against this guy and what he CHOSE to do with his children in the car, they’re better off with him out of their lives. I feel bad for the kids but I would have done the same thing if I were being drug by a car. His arm was stuck in the window and he had a choice to either die being drug or shoot the driver and he did a damn good job by not hitting any of those kids and keeping them from getting injured. People like the driver are what’s wrong with society, not the officer.

11. texas heartland says:

Seriously people, was the officer not supposed to do his job because the crook had children in the car? Should we give a pass to all the bad guys that have chiidren with them? This officer did his job. Nobody but the bad guy was hurt or killed unless you count THE OFFICER who was hurt doing his job!!! I dont think this cop got up this morning thinking “gee I think I’ll kill someone today”. This happened suddenly and because the driver failed to do as he was told AFTER breaking the law knowing he already had warrents out for his arrest. Feel for the family but more so for the cop.

12. Mrs. D says:

Everyone has a opinion and none of them matter, If he was just in shooting the man than so be it and if not then again so be it, either way he has to deal with the knowledge of what he did for the rest of his life. Even if he was in the right he will forever be tortured by the knowledge that he killed a man and a father. So why dont all you nay-sayers just leave him alone. Do you think that he went to work that morning thinking to himself,….”hmmm what can i do to “justly” kill a man today?” I seriously doubt it. Honestly if I was being drug by a car and the driver didn’t seem to give a flip about the fact that I was in serious danger being drug along by the vehicle he was driving and I had a gun I would probably do the same,….start shooting that is, and seeing as how I was being drug along by a car I would count it a blessing that I could aim well enough to only hurt the driver. But all you who think you wouldn’t do the same go become a police officer and get drug by a car and see what you would and wouldn’t do then come back and air you opinion.

Oh and the man knew what he was doing when he made the choice to not stop and allow the officer to free himself. HE is the one who knowingly put his children in harms way, unless then man was an idiot and had no idea the officer was armed and had basic human instincts to protect himself.

Last note, if the officer was “attatched” by his own free will and could of simply let go of the vehichle or could of used a less brutal force to get this man to stop the car like a tazer the the officer is an idiot and a should be prosecuted. But current facts paint a diff picture sad as it is.

13. FWRESIDENT/SAD says:

LOL YA’LL PEOPLE KILL ME YOU SAY HE DRUG THE OFFICER BUT TELL ME WHY IS FWPD NOT SHOWING THE TAPE HMMM SUSPECT TO ME. THIS WAS A DISABLED AND HE DID NOT DESERVE TO DIE WITH HIS CHILDREN WATCHING. THE OFFICER DIDN’T USE THE PROPER PROTOCOL. HE DIDN’T CALL FOR BACK UP AND WHAT POLICE OFFICER YOU KNOW GRABS THE CAR. smh YA’LL BETTER STOP BELIEVING THE MEDIA AND THE POLICE THEY WILL LIE ASAP JUST LIKE A POLITICIAN.ALSO YOU ARE CALLING THE MAN AN IDIOT AND YOU DONT EVEN HAVE THE FUILL STORY. THAT OFFICER WAS SUPPOSED TO GET IN HIS CAR AN GIVE CHASE OR USE HIS STUN GUN INSTEAD HE CHOSE DEADLY FORCE.SAD

1. Mr. D says:

Hello!!! I was just wondering how you know protocol? You must be an officer? And you do not know the full story either unless you are FWPD Oh by the way the video does not get released until investigation done, but since you know protocol you would know this right!!! I think we have found a winner!!!!

2. Quit Whining says:

You don’t have the full story either >>>>>>>>>>>>

1. Mr. D says:

If you are talking to me read my other post before you say something about knowing the full story!!! Research will pay off before speaking

3. Alli Anderson says:

You don’t know what the hell you are talking about FWRESIDENT.

1. Not everything is taped and you just can’t get it right away.
      2. He was disabled because of a previous gunshot to the leg.
      3 How do you know if the officer used proper protocol? Were you trained as a Fort Worth Police Officer?
      5. You don’t have the full story either so why are you spouting off? Is this drug dealer such a good father to have taken 3 of his 5 or 6 children with him to a drug house? It will eventually come out that he had drugs in the car you watch.
      6. How could the officer have given chase if he was being dragged by the suspect? Other officers were giving chase.

Let’s say that you were the officer and you just had the window rolled up on your arm, your “attached” to the car, the suspect takes off speeding down 2 blocks, your beiung dragged, you can’t get free and you fear for your life. You can’t get to your taser (not a stun gun moron). Besides aren’t people arguing that tasers kill? You have all the extensive training in the world in shooting and have to practice all the time. You know what your doing. This suspect has a criminal record of drugs, came from a drug house, you pulled him over for warrants. He had basically told you he ISN’t going to jail (probably would have been for a long time), he takes off (he himself putting his own childrens lives plus the lives of innocent people in danger). while you are hanging on for dear life. What would you have done? I for one would of done what the HEROIC officer did. Would you have just said pardon me could you stop the car and roll down the window and let me go and I will buy you dinner? I dobut it. You would of thought only of yourself and saved your self. The officer went one step futher he not only thought of himself and his family but he thought of the public. Everyone knows that if he would of just let the suspect go and something would have happened (like an accident) than there would have been a public outcry AGAINST the police officer and police department for letting it happen. Everyone is saying how tramatic it is for the kids to witness their dad being killed. Would it have been less tramatic to see their dad run over and kill a police officer? Also if officers let people go that had kids in the car than EVERY criminal would be taking kids with them everywhere.

So think about that. Before everyone starts bad mouthing the police officer they need to be patient and wait till all the facts are released. Give the police department time to investigate (it takes longer than a few hours to thorughly investigate an incident like this) and than feel free to say what you think. But until you have all the details keep your opions to yourself.

1. Lisa Williams Turley says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK.

14. Mike Faircloth says:

Crazy.

15. darrell says:

latest news says that as the victim began to flee the officer reached through the open window to unlock the door and the victim rolled the window up on his arm trapping him to the car. YES. at that point the officers life is in danger.
    shooting him 3 times and killing him still isnt justified when all he had to do was shoot out the window to free himself. it serves the same purpose and no one has to die.

16. Lorraine says:

Everyone talked about the officer shooting the driver in front of his children. No one says the driver was showing his childrren how to drag a police officer so you wouldn’t get caught. I know he wasn’t showing them intentionally but that’s what he was doing with them in the car. GOOD FATHERLY IMAGE.

17. bob says:

🙂 all he had to do was get out of the car. But NOOOO “im not going to jail for the 7st time” bla bla bla ya it sucks that someone died but better him then the Officer🙂 GOOD SHOOTING

1. Agreeable says:

You nailed it bob.

2. knol says:

12 shoots….c’mon Freudian slip, the Officer used this as away to do what he really wanted to do and that is kill the dude, he just shot him too many times, so its hard to cry defense, 12 shots is excessive no matter how you look at it.

18. joanne says:

All of these people who believe you can be a “GOOD” person, AND have seven warrants, AND drive a car, WITH anyones’ kids in the car, AND not submit to a police officer, AND drive off, AND take him with you, AND deserve to be allowed to continue driving with the officer outside the car, AND eventually drag the officer to DEATH are living proof of why we should all not only HAVE guns, but probably also should be carrying them to defend ourselves against all of these sickos in our society!

19. Ben says:

show the video cam from the police car showing that he was dragged…i dont believe it…i do believe that the suspect was probably reaching for his crutch and the officer thought otherwise (a weapon was being reached for) and reacted in that way not knowing that the suspect was actually handicapped missing limbs…the warrants must had not been major where was backup…and if they were… where was back up… arent they always called for major incidents..Maybe the suspect became alarmed that his kids would be hurt and tryed to get them out of harms way not caring about his safety if in fact the officer did misjudge the situation at hand…i was not there and will probably not ever know the entirety of the truth…but i do know the police force are well known for covering up their mistakes…and they do discriminated against certain neighborhoods more than they do alot others

20. Ben says:

the truth lies in the children who will probably never ever trust a police officer again if in fact fowl play did play apart of the officers behalf…the kids will forever be fearful and carry this trauma around with them for the rest of their life…it just dont add up to me..again where is the video cam fom the police officers vehicle…some truth lies in that as well

21. Susan says:

The simple truth is, if the man had simply complied with the officer and done what was asked, he would still be here today. If he could not exit the vehicle without a crutch, he should have told the officer what he was doing. Put yourself in any police officer’s shoes. In a simple traffic stop, you are approaching a vehicle of someone you know nothing about. You have no idea if you are going to be shot the minute you reach the driver (or before). If it is night, you have limited visibility of what you are approaching. Yes, police officers are trained for these situations, yes, they are paid to do this job. I do not know all of the facts of this case, as no one else does who was not there, but I do know, the ultimate blame lies with the man who could have prevented his own death and the ensuing trauma to his children by simply using common sense and following the same rules as any other prudent person would do when confronted with this situation. As a mother, the last thing I would do is take any chance of harming one of my children in any way.

22. fbama says:

1st of all you monkees werent there so shut your trap… he pulled off and hit 50 MPH quick…. FWPD rules state you cannot taze a driver so stick that up your butt. NAACP go to Africa! Yall kill each other there with machetes. If you put the police in danger and drive off you die! And if you think you can get off the car and live tell me where and when to meet you and I will drag you!

1. Craig H says:

WOW! Awesome fbama!!!! Make sure they don’t bring a gun along for the dragging!

23. Wayne says:

Some things in this world NEVER change. And racism against BLACK and WHITE will go down in history as being the downfall of a once powerfull nation.

1. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

I AM YHVH DEITY Wayne It is god that keeps fills all humans with racism. god – good OLE deception, government of deceivers, group of demons, governing oppressive device

2. not wayne says:

Don’t worry Wayne, I believe that idiots such as the “victim” here will bring the downfall of this nation well before racism does🙂

24. Alli Anderson says:

To all of you who think the officer was wrong and the susupect was right…read on ..here is some food for thought.

1. First off this is not a racism issue. This is a situation where a man’s (The Officer). life was endanger.
    2. To all those that are saying poor me officers pick on the blacks of our coummunity. Well excuse me the MAJORITY of the community is black. When a call in the community is made or if the officers are patroling that community to better serve and keep that community safe, more than likely it will be a black person that they deal with. Don’t act like it is only the black community’s that officers patrol. They patrol ALL kinds of community’s.
    4. There was backup already. Undercovers were there, plus they had more than 1 officer per car. The other officers ONSCENE responded and were trying to help the officer.
    7. If you don’t believe the officer was dragged than you are an IDIOT. What else would you call an officers hand in a rolled up window and the suspect driving 50 mph with the officer on the outside of the car?
    8. The suspect was shot while reaching for his cane…BS..the suspect was driving his vehicle fast, dragging a human being.

Let’s say that you were the officer and you just had the window rolled up on your arm, your “attached” to the car, the suspect takes off speeding down 2 blocks, your beiung dragged, you can’t get free and you fear for your life. You can’t get to your taser (not a stun gun moron). Besides aren’t people arguing that tasers kill? You have all the extensive training in the world in shooting and have to practice all the time. You know what your doing. This suspect has a criminal record of drugs, came from a drug house, you pulled him over for warrants. He had basically told you he ISN’t going to jail (probably would have been for a long time), he takes off (he himself putting his own childrens lives plus the lives of innocent people in danger in the SUSPECTS COMMUNITY). while you are hanging on for dear life. What would you have done? I for one would of done what the HEROIC officer did. Would you have just said pardon me could you stop the car and roll down the window and let me go and I will buy you dinner? I dobut it. You would of thought only of yourself and saved your self. The officer went one step futher he not only thought of himself and his family but he thought of the public. Everyone knows that if he would of just let the suspect go and something would have happened (like an accident) than there would have been a public outcry AGAINST the police officer and police department for letting it happen. Would you rather see one person who is clearly breaking the law die or 3 children plus others? The officer knew what he was doing that is why the KIDS are ALIVE today. Everyone is saying how tramatic it is for the kids to witness their dad being killed. Would it have been less tramatic to see their dad run over and kill a police officer? I forgot the COMMUNITY doesn’t like officers and who cares if one dies? Remember this is YOU that the community hates. Would you care if the public thought nothing of you being killed? Also if officers let people go that had kids in the car than EVERY criminal would be taking kids with them everywhere as a GET OUT OF JAIL CARD.

Friend of Officers

25. William G says:

The driver refused to get out of the car, and locked the doors. The cop reached in to unlock the door when the driver raised the window, trapping the officer. he then drove off, refusing to stop.
    The officer at that point was completely justified in their use of deadly force. So what if kids were in the car? The driver shouldn’t have been a dumb ass and put the kids in harm’s way. I’m sorry, if I’m that cop, and some idiot is trying to drive onto the highway with me hanging out the window, I”m going to empty my gun if needed to stop the moron.
    This is natural selection at it’s finest; this future “Darwin Award” winner got what he deserved.

26. Preservelife says:

At the end of the day it will continue to be alot of controversy over this very sad situation. Most of you on here don’t know Ra Ra and none of u know the officer so the same as you say the officer was right, we say it shouldn’t have happened the way it did. Atleast we actually know the person were defending. “personally” and if he wasn’t a good person half the community wouldn’t have been present at his memorial.. Right is is right wrong is wrong and something isn’t right about this situation. The truth is being withheld, but one truth is for sure none of you were there and neither were we. And the truth will never be entirely certain. Those children know though. Know let’s just say it wasn’t a racial issue “Despite some of these screen names here today” let’s just say ok he did say he told the officer “he was’t going back to jail” and showed signs of resiting. Why was the officer tryna unlock the door instead of drawing his weapon right then before the car was even able to be placed in drive? Hmmmm, Granted i don’t know “PRTOCOL”, but from my understanding police are suppose to exercise the safest approach to every situation. Vowing to keep everyone safe as possible even the suspect at hand. Or did a liscence to kill come a long with that badge. There job is to uphold the LAW and preseve LIFE. But ok just to humor u let’s just say it happen they way they say it did. What window goes up faster then a moving arm?🙂 No really enlighten me. Even better how the HELL did he accurately shoot the driver of this SUV going at speeds of 50mph. Not likely, I gotta even better one how did he get to shoot him multiple times? Shouldn’t the first shot breaking the window freed his arm and he fell from the car, unless he’s bending bullets like Angela Jolie in WANTED, He should’ve only been able to get one accurate shot at the suspect if that. And if back up was there, undercovers were there why did it even get a chance to get that far. The situation should have been highly controlled. But hey if this is what were calling JUSTICE now days i hate to see what we shall call PEACE in the years to come. My prayers goes out those children and his family.. Im also glad the officer wasn’t seriously hurt eithier.

PEACE,

1. Craig H says:

Preservelife… Half truths wont solve anything and “half of the community” was mostly nosey not caring about truth just wanting their chance to be in the spotlight! Sad but true!
      2 drug dealers driving around teaching children how to buy drugs and run from the Law….So you think that is a “GOOD MAN AND FATHER”? Are you insane or just nuts?
      Just because you can have kids don’t mean you should!
      Just for your benefit…Since the officer is traveling at the same speed and direction as the SUV, he would have to shoot the glass to free his arm but hang on till the vehicle stopped to help control it so the passengers are protected!

Obviously logic and common sense are not your strong points but I’m glad you care enough to take a stand for something!

2. Alli Anderson says:

Preservelife,

How can we believe you when you clearly stated “:none of u know the officer so the same as you say the officer was right”. Did you not read how I signed my post friend of officers? Yes I know that officer and I have known him MANY years. I know several of the officers that were there.

Yes you can shoot going 50mph, especially when you have to jump on the running board.

No offense but that officer is alive and can tell what happened, RaRa is not and you can only PRESUME what happened.

Face it RaRa was wrong in taking off and dragging the officer.

If RaRa was the saint your making him out to be and you CAN speak for him than let everyone on here know what was so wrong with him just simply getting OUT of the car and being arrested? Its probably because he thought he was too good to abide by the law and pay the piper. He knew he was guilty and would go to jail. I’m sure he was thinking I’ll show the MAN.

1. darrell says:

Alli, with all respect to you and the police department i take offense to something you said in your response to Preservelife.
        as a white combat vet ive seen first hand what proper training will reward when a split second life or death descision needs to be made. enough said.
        you made the following remark in your reply:

both of those statements assume individual thoughts none of us will ever know. the investigation continues. i know rah ray was no saint, i am not defending him. im questioning the decisions made, the process by which they were made and what if anything constructive should be changed.
        personally, i think your too close emotionaly to the situation to be objective.

2. Alli Anderson says:

Darrell,

Didn’t mean to offend you I simply meant:

1. When I said “If RaRa was the saint your making him out to be and you CAN speak for him than let everyone on here know what was so wrong with him just simply getting OUT of the car and being arrested?’

i meant that all of these people that claim to know him are acting as if he never did anything wrong, that he was just some poor black guy that the police picked on. His friends and family and some of the public are acting as if he wasn’t dealing drugs. He has a record for it and he was coming from a known DRUG house!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Preservelife is speaking on belhalf of the suspect so I simply asked him what the logic of the suspects actions by fleeing in stead of just simply getting out of the car and complying.

2. Its probably because he thought he was too good to abide by the law and pay the piper.

Which means that fleeing the scene IMPLY;s that he thought that the law does not apply to him. I’m sorry but if someone flees the scene it shows guilt. And guilty people think they don’t have to abide by the rules and the don’t or won’t pay for their crime (which pay the piper means).

3. He knew he was guilty and would go to jail. I’m sure he was thinking I’ll show the MAN

This simply means he knew he was guilty and he didn’t want to go to jail, otherwise why would he flee. If he didn’t do anything wrong why wouldn’t he just simply stay and prove it?

As for showing the man…anyone who reads these articles or responses or watches the news footage, can see that his community, friends and family are making it into a race war? All I hear are the police are after the black man, the police pick on the black man. Why are THEY making it a black thing? If the black community find it so bad that an officer killed a man while kids are in the car why don’t they just simply state it as a citizen or human being? Why does it have to be they did it because he was black? You and I both know that if it was another race this community would not be standing up and protesting the way they are. They wouldn’t stand up and say they killed that man in front of his kids because he was white or because he was hispanic. Sometime or another every race has died due to a police shooting. The police do not kill just because of someone’s race, its other reasons and this reason was the officers life was endanger. So if this community really feels this way I challenge you to stand up and protest if and when some other race is involved!! Show suppport for others, don’t just pick and choose your fights only because the person is black.

As for your comment “let me put that on the other foot from the officers mind. now this punk drug dealer has just made me mad. im just going to kill him.”

You and I both know that officers don’t do that. Officers are not immature, they are very patient, level headed people.

Let me ask everyone…Do you think an officer wakes up everyday and goes to work saying I’m gonna kill me someone today? No they don’t, they DON’T wanna kill or injure anyone, besides the fact that they would have to live with that knowledge the rest of their lives (as a vet or any armed forces would). No their main goal is to do their job fighting crime, protecting the public and serving the citizens of the city and than to come home to their families and loved ones as they had left them. In one piece physically and mentally.

The question begs; Why didn’t this father just simply comply and get out of the vehicle? He didn’t have to run. He put his life and his children’s lives endager not the officer.

Would people be making this a racial issue or be this intense if it was a black officer? From looking at past incidents the answer to that question is NO! You wouldn’t have days on end of public protests or this story in the news. There would be just one article stating what happened and than it would be dropped.

Those family and friends of RaRa should be mourning right now, not out causing controversy.

Before you say they have the right, I can tell you, I had a relatives death be very public like this, it was a wrongful death, he was an officer and he pulled over a suspect (for the record he was white) for a dui. While the suspect grabbed and held onto his arm, dragging him, before dropping him and running over him, My relative didn’t get the chance to shoot the suspect, I wish he had. This suspect had his 2 children in the backset and wife in the passenger side. Do you think a community step up and shouted about a father dragging and killing an officer with children in the back seat. No they didn’t. My family DID NOT act out like this. We simply mourned, waited for the results of the investigation to come out, and went through the necessary steps. It can be done. It doesn’t need to be made into a circus.

27. TROY says:

IF YOU DO THE CRIME, BE PREPARED TO DO THE TIME.
    IF YOU DONT RUN FROM THE POLICE, THEY WONT CHASE YOU.
    DONT SELL DRUGS!!! ESPECIALLY WITH YOU KIDS IN THE CAR.

28. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

File that Internal Affairs Complaint within 180 days so they don’t have to change the dates. The police will use coercion, collusion and subterfuge like they did in Lancaster Police Officer Craig Shaw case. All they had to provide was an autopsy and a ballistic report. Tiffany James was quoted as saying the police over said he shot the wrong person and began crying. The question remains are there in Texas Medical Examiners with integrity. In this case hearsay does not give the officer a good enough reason to stop the vehicle or engage any of the occupants in the vehicle. This is a clear case of racial profiling. Police can’t manufactured a case. Lookout for the Fort Worth way (racist collusion) like I experienced in my Civil Action No. 4-05-CV-711-Y when Sgt. Arnellas, Ofc.Chris Fearneyhough and J.D.Garwacki (weed & seed) tried to kill me

29. Tiffney Lee says:

First of all, the report says the officer reached into the victims vehicle to unlock the door….Dummy…why would you reach into somebody’s vehicle…Oh thats right, because the STATE says you can. Bottom line is if he hadn’t reached in the vehicle the incident probably wouldn’t have turned volatile. The people are getting sick of this type of murder and brutality.And there is no such thing as a GOOD police officers. They are here to PROTECT AND SERVE the interest of the STATE which is a CORPORATION funded by citizens..The very citizens it oppresses….One might ask who is the real victim? Certainly not the officer…he still has his TACKY little life. Meanwhile, three children are without a father, cousins are without cousins….a family is devastated. I

And while no one is a SAINT, certainly not peace (disturbance) officers this officer will have to answer to my GOD!

1. Lisa Williams Turley says:

You know what is tacky. People blame other people for thier mistake. Mistake #1 Don’t let your kids drive around with a known drug dealer. I don’t care if it is your baby daddy.
      #2 Don’t bring your kids to your drug spot daddy because you are so concern for their welfare.
      # 3 Don’t run from the police with your kids in the car. (Because remeber they are so crazy just shoot people just because)

People lets put the blame where it belongs. Mom & Dad. Since the mother was so concern about the kids. Looks like CPS should have been taken the kids.

2. Craig H says:

Tiffney Lee …I guess we serve different Gods, because mine said to obey the laws of the land! Read a king james or niv bible sometime…. It will help!
      There wasnt a murder commited!
      Your actions dictate the response.
      Three children were without a dad, long before the shooting.
      Did you forget about his outstanding warrants? He did not value his children, since he tried to run, placing his life above theirs!
      Wake Up!

1. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

So JESUS was without a FARTHER long before he died for man sins. I AM YHVH DEITY god translation good OLE deception, governing oppressive device, group of demons, government of deceivers. god is (sin)thetic. no truth or self trust.

3. Alli Anderson says:

Tiffany,

Wow you have some problems, you should seek help.

Please next time you are robbed or have a crime commited against you, DON’T call the police, because as you state there is no such thing as a good police officer, because people will know your a hypocrite.

The suspects family is not the only one that is devasted. There is more than one family that is invovled. The officers famil y is also devestated.

As for reaching in the vehicle what else was the officer to do? The SUSPECT locked the door?

At least some people on here are mature enough to CALMLY have a healthy discussion and see both points of view, which you clearly don’t.

30. Janice says:

I would love to comment on this. Has anyone thought about the life of the officer? On the news all you see is people griping and complaining about how police officers do wrong, but who are the first ones THEY call when THEY need help or in any danger? If this person who was shot would have obeyed the officer and stepped out of the vehicle then none of this would have occurred, but instead HE chose to leave. The children were in the vehicle with a known FELON and his people want to complain? Come on! How about people taking RESPONSIBILTY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS FOR ONCE AND QUIT BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE! That is what is wrong with this world. My husband is an officer and I’ve had to worry about idiots like that person running over or shooting him on a daily basis. How is this for a concept; how about wondering on a daily basis if you were going to make it home but instead have to put up with idiots like that one that was killed. Tell me is THAT ok?

1. Craig H says:

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AND AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Thank you Janice!!!

2. Alli Anderson says:

Well said Janice! I have been saying that on here all along, just in more words..lol.

31. SAD says:

Rip rah rah u will be missed forget all these people on here they dont know u and dont understand😦

32. darrell says:

Alli, thankyou for your reply. again, im sorry for the lose of your uncle.

sometimes our emotions get the best of us, im guilty at times as well. i appoligize for my statement as also to you and anyone in lawenforcement it may have offended. no normal person wants to have to kill someone. i know first hand how it can touch the soul. my sympathies to the officer and family for the tortured time im sure they are going through.

some would make the issue neighborhood against police had the officer also been black. i try to exclude race as an issue before i make opinions but it is not allways an option. for those who try to make all issues something racial i would like to gather them all up and just hang them. collectively they do more harm than they do good to our society.

mistakes were made my many here. rah rah’s decision to flee started a chain of events that possible could have been avoided and its sad that anyone had to die or be harmed. hopefully we will learn some lessons here.

i dont know what events in life put rah rah their that day perhaps there are lessons to be learned there as well. my sympathies also go out to his family and friends at his loss. hopefully lessons learned will lead to improvements.

33. Nissa says:

IF the moron driving had simply complied like any normal person he would still be alive facing what ever charges HE deserved by his own actions being a criminal. I don’t care if his granny was in the car, he was trying to kill a police officer. He got what he deserved. Maybe his kids now know what a loser dad was! HE put THEM in danger, not the cop. I’m so sick of these kind of stories. People go on tv and say what a great guy he was. NOT. He was a career criminal and the world is a better place without him!

1. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

Yes just like all the black ancestors that in the name of god were raped , slave breed, castrated, burned, tarred and feathered, roasted, chopped, lobotomized, bounded and gagged. I AM YHVH if god is in you; you are full of ignorance and fear. This is why JESUS SWEPT. YHVH YOU Have Victory Hallelujah! intelligence and fearlessness.

1. Craig H says:

National Whistleblower Allen Carlton
        So I gather you cant spell or think clearly… (WHAT ROOM DID “JESUS SWEPT”?
        I bet it was SUPER CLEAN!
        You definately don’t know black history very well!
        Their problem started with other blacks who did the things you said and sold the less fortunate blacks to others!
        NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE POLICE OFFICER AND THE DRUG DEALER!

34. Zoro says:

Even if the cop had not fired his gun, RaRa would have been executed anyway for draggin the cop to death. Before his execution, a thousand cops would have wanted him dead. RaRa was a dead man driving anyway, so why shouldn’t the cop save himself from a torturous death?

35. jane doe says:

nissa your B____ leave his kids out of this!!!! they have no control over who or what their father is or has done. Nor do they bear any resonsiblity

EVERYONE should stop judging them both!!! We have not heard all the details yet. I dont care what kind of person he was” if “the cops was wrong then he’s wrong. Deadly force should be a last resort no matter what or who it is !! n
    We all know cops are human and there are good ones and bad ones just like everyone else. That does not automaticly make him rightor wrong. The TRUTH needs to come out

36. keith smallwood says:

When you look at police force and tactics, you essentially have total control of your use of discretion at any given moment. I don’t agree with how the police officer handled himself as a public servant and I am terribly upset by his actions. Whatever happened to (deontological ethics?) Here lately, I have been noticing how police officers here in Texas, seems to me, be carrying out some sort of retribution of some kind. This is entirely unacceptable and should not be tolerated. What is the matter Dallas; Fort Worth and Greenville, Texas??? Come on Texas, is this how we treat our fellow man??!!

Accordingly, Deontologists who are also moral absolutists believe that some actions are wrong no matter what consequences follow from them.

37. Concerned Citizen says:

I have just a few unanswered questions
    a.) If “RaRa” was under survelliance why didn’t the undercover officers know his kids were in the SUV with him. They were on their way to one of the childrens birthday party. Her birthday was the day he was killed.

b.) Why is Officer J. Romer’s account the only one being told. What happened to the 3 kids and one adult who were also in the vehicle as well as the two undercover officers?

c.) Was the officer in uniform when he approached the vehicle, because the SUV was not registered to RaRa Thomas. Therefore, stopping him based on the license plate would not make sense would it. So did he properly identify himself to Mr. Thomas before he told him to exit the vehicle? Because undercover officers don’t do traffic stops do they. Is it possible Mr. Thomas thought he was being car jacked rather than stopped by the police. Remember, the transport van was unmarked.

d.) Rethink the arm trapped in the window scenario. How could Officer Romer have one arm trapped in the window, another holding on for dear life because the vehicle was supposedly going 30 to 40 miles per hour. Then manage to let go of the rack that kept him from being drug w/ the one free arm and shoot 12 shots in less than 2 short blocks. Hmmm, this guy needs to reinact that scenario in his own head again, doesn’t make sense. Is his arm or wrist broke, otherwise there are bullet holes are all through his story. You can be wrestlng to free one arm, while being drug @ 40 mph, yet manage to shoot 12 shots all at the same time…

Justified or Homicide, you listen then decide…

1. Craig H says:

reply to Concerned Citizen… Let’s get this straight…Police pistols don’t hold 12 rounds and the speed traveled plus the officer’s position on the foot rail wouldn’t allow a one armed reload. Ra Ra ran a stop sign and was pulled over by a uniformed officer (and at the request of the undercover cops). He took his kids on a drug run and the “mother” said the birthday was the next day….
      Cops are human and make mistakes just like we do, but this wasn’t one of those times.
      This only raises one question to me…Are you on crack?

38. National Whistleblower Allen Carlton says:

reply to Craig H … So I gather you cant spell or think clearly…
    hench the title National Whistleblower Allen Carlton

NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE POLICE OFFICER AND THE DRUG DEALER! It’s a NEXUS

Think so god (good OLE deception) bless. YHVH is to god as Kunta Kenta is to toby.

1. Craig H says:

What is YHVH??
      I see you still have the same trouble explaining your thoughts….

On to better pursuits, Any takers on the idiots marching in tonites protest against the police officer?

Comments are closed.