Wal-Mart Parking Lot Dragging Victim Dies; Suspect Arrested

Updated March 14, 2011 at 10:20 a.m.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – What began as a purse snatching at a North Texas Wal-Mart store has led to a capital murder charge.

A 76-year-old woman, who was dragged by a pickup through a parking lot, has died from her injuries. Fabra Leavy was dragged 40 yards before she fell to the ground and was run over on March 9.

Leavy was able to talk afterward and told investigators the man driving the truck grabbed her purse and took off while her arm was still caught in the strap.

On Saturday, police arrested 28-year-old Rogelio Belmonte of Denton for the crime.  He’s sitting in the Dallas County jail, charged with capital murder. His bond is just over $500,000.

The incident happened at the Lake Highlands Wal-Mart on Forest Lane and a video surveillance camera captured the entire thing.

Investigators found the pickup involved in the attack and began watching it. As police watched the vehicle they saw a man and a woman, both in their early 20s, get in the truck. The two were taken in to custody and are being questioned by police.

1. Elainehawk says:

This person, should face the death penalty or at the very least spend the rest of their life in jail. anyone that would even grab a purse from someone in the first place deserves maximum punishment, they obviously donot have a conscience

1. Ladayshana Walker says:

execute execute execute thats no excuse that lady was minding her own business.

1. Carla G. says:

Get A rope!!

2. Ani says:

I was so saddened to hear about the assault on Ms. Leavy. I can’t begin to even fathom how the need for a fast buck could justify the killing of a lady that could be anyone’s mother or grandmother. Praying for her family, and praying that the man who did it will be caught and prosecuted.

3. clairbloom says:

Why I believe in the concealed weapons law.

1. Myndee says:

2. Joseph says:

She would have had the weapon in her purse. Don’t exaggerate the usefulness of concealed weapons. And remember, the person driving the pickup truck would have a weapon as well, and his would have been at the ready.

1. T Fuller says:

you anti gun folks always have the most redicules arguments. First, the criminal would likely already have a record so would not be issued a legal carry permit. Tell me one instance of an undeserved shooting by a legal carry person! ? just one???

2. Iceman says:

Yes, if she had a concealed weapons permit, she might have had a gun in her purse where it would not have helped in this situation. But maybe some other witnesses who were law abiding permit holders would have seen this happen and emptied a few clips into the cab of the truck which would have stopped the thief dead in his tracks. Your stupid comment indicates the criminal would have played by the rules in the first place and had a legal permit for a gun. Criminal don’t bother to get permits, only guns if they want them.

3. Julie says:

@TFuller–do you really think if the perp wasn’t able to get a legal carry permit that would prevent him from carrying a gun in the first place?? You really think everyone who has a gun has a permit for it?? If you do,you’re either stupid or naive. Joseph was right–her gun would have been in her purse, had she had a concealed permit–and then in the hands of the criminal. And also–it’s “RIDICULOUS’. Open a damn book, ffs.

4. Myndee says:

This makes me SICK. I hate a thief. Who with any kind of soul wants to steal from an old lady? These people are evil. I hope they fry for this.

5. Amber says:

This is terrible to hear how could someone do this to a elderly woman. That’s one reason why when I go to stores don’t try to talk to me, don’t try to offer me anything, don’t ask me for nothing. Not interested. U hate to be like this but people have ulterior motives that can get u hurt or killed. This again is sad. I agree with the first comment they should get the max punishment.

6. lulu says:

My heart goes out to this womans family. As for the people that did this HOW COULD U NOT FEEL SORRY FOR DRAGGING AN OLD LADY???????

7. D.BURNS says:

The penalty should be death by dragging…just like they did her!

1. Donta says:

I agree

2. Cheryl Richardson says:

OMG!! I totally agree!…A public dragging is what he deserves. He ran over her. If he don’t get the death penalty, which he should, sentence carried out immediately, he should live a horrible nightmare in prison.

8. Randall Towry says:

I point you to the scriptures, which says in the last days people will so what seems right in their own eyes. This man or woman was more enamoured of money than life. This elderly woman did nothing worth death but the actor/s had NO regard for life, and should be judged accordingly, as scripture demands!

9. Stephanie says:

really? the cop gets dragged kills his assailant and he’s power hungry? get real!

1. RevJL says:

difference here is that the people protesting the cops are just media hungry ghetto rats that see their opportunity to get their faces on TV …….. they don’t care about justice …… just getting on the evening news.

10. LComfort says:

Death penalty X 2

11. Michelle says:

Barbara, I think it was very sad that the police officer shot the man in front of his children, but what should he have done (what would you have done) let the man keep dragging him until he was badly mained or killed? I am sick and tired of people always defending the person who was breaking the law and not defending the person who is trying to enforce the law. Something is definitely wrong with a lot of people’s perspective these days. The perpetators have more rights than the victims!! What a world we live in!!!

12. Mike says:

That’s why he shot him, because he had a family to go home too. The same thing should of happened to the man that killed this woman. Of course people as Barbara don’t have the intelligence to know the difference.

13. BecauseICare says:

You must be as stupid as you look in print. Morons like you keep the prisons doors open.

14. Dyanii says:

Well. that will be somthing they will remember not to do! So they wont grow up be a thief or a druggie! Remember what you said about cops next time your man hitting you! wait don’t bother let your man knock some brains in to you!

15. Danny says:

Amen brother,we’re living in the last days !

16. Appallled says:

I’ve seen the Lake Highlands neighborhood and parts of Dallas fall very quickly in the last few years. My take is that it’s our visiting “friends” from New Orleans who’ve taken up permanent residence here. They’re not like those who went before. They’re malevolent and need to be put down like the Jamaicans and others who terrorized Dallas in the past. I’m packing from now on. I’ve shopped at that same Wally-Mart, for Chrissakes.

1. Dyanii says:

17. meme says:

Damn I was just there today

18. Cin says:

What a LOSER!!!!!! Hope they find the low life that did this horrible crime…

19. Sonny says:

KILL THEM NOW!!!!!!!!! Save tax payers money!!

20. preppieone says:

They are POS’s and to think their parent’s are so proud of the garbage they raised and unleashed upon our society… They were raised to milk the welfare system–Im sure!

21. PreppieOne says:

The POS’s were welfare recipient’s — their POS’s parent’s didn’t teach them how if you want something WORK FOR IT!

22. Cindy H. says:

What a very sad tragedy! I was hoping Ms.Leavy would survive and recover. The sub-humans who did this to this innocent old lady should get the death penalty. What a sad story!! I pray that she is in heaven now in a better place. Those evil sick people will get payback from God and the justice system!

23. Mili V. says:

Chop Off Their Hands Off For Stealing & Then Jail Time Come On America When Are These Criminals Going To Learn….

24. Cathleen says:

Anyone remember the dragging death of a little boy? NEVER leave your kids in the car….for a SECOND!!

25. Jean says:

Death Penalty!!!!!!!!!

26. Jon Anthony says:

Repeat as needed.

27. Juana says:

LOSER PUNK POS. A waste of oxygen. Rot in hell!

28. RevJL says:

If he is “ILLEGAL” …… automatic DEATH PENALTY should be mandated across this country !!!!!!!

29. Amy says:

My deepest heartfelt sympathy goes to her family. I pray these men will get punished according to their crime.

Walmart must up their security with armed police officers with several patrolling the parking lot constantly. They usually have at least one officer in each store and only one security guard riding around in a car. From my understanding the security guards are not armed. There must be a STRONG police presence to help prevent this from happening again. They need to take the safety of their patrons very seriously. Yes this costs money but it is worth it! WALMART ARE YOU LISTENING?

30. Lewis says:

I just read a whole lot of hate, you cannot fight evil with evil
    Luke 6: 32-36 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

1. Amy says:

While your quoting of the Scriptures is correct, the Bible also talks about murderers not entering the Kingdom of Heaven. These murderers must be punished for their crime and still can repent. I do not hate them but hate their sin. When someone hurts another person as these men/women killed this precious defenseless lady, they will “reap what they sow”.

31. Tom says:

Apparently when you drag an elderly lady it’s the death penalty, but when you drag a cop and he defends himself it’s excessive force? If she had shot the suspect would she be the subject of demonstrations?
    This guy, however, should at the very lest be sentenced to natural life, and at best, shoot him the juice, Bruce!

32. Kim Dar says:

This lady did not deserve what she got. I learned several years ago when I saw a lady being knocked down at a shopping center in order to steal her purse to NOT take my purse with me when I go shopping. I take my drivers license, my grocery list, a pen and my credit card all placed in the pocket of my jeans. When I do have to stop on the way home from work, when I leave the store, I do not carry it on my shoulder, but in my hand between me and the cart. I always put my purse in the car first and then unload my groceries. That way there is nothing for someone to grab. When are the bad guys going to learn that there are cameras just about everywhere and someone will recognize them and then they are in deep dodo. Hope he gets what is coming to him, but that doesn’t change the fact that Mrs. Leavy is dead.

33. markus says:

I am just amazed that a woman would find this guy attractive. Does he come home at the end of the day and present the stolen purses to his honey. What a guy!

34. Beanz says:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH APPALLED. I lived in that area for about a year. I was ready to move 3 months after I got there. That whole area is polluted with Katrina’s trash. I wouldnt be surprised if one of those bayou hoodlums was responsible for this. And before you go playin the race or political card-Im Black and VERY liberal. I just know that most of the people that came up here from New Orleans were hood rats.

35. shadeofafreeway1@aol.com says:

This story just breaks my heart. Poor woman, out to do some quick shopping – normal day, nothing special – and BAM…her life is OVER. Very sad way to go.
    I’m glad the boy was caught. I don’t want to know his motive. It will only make me madder. Two lives wasted! Stupid kid!

I stopped carrying a purse. Turns out, I don’t need one anymore. 2 cards and a phone fit in my front pocket.
    Not that being purseless is THE solution to what happened here but I feel like less of a target now.

Blessings to her family.