Dallas’ West Commerce St. USA’s Worst For Car Theft

DALLAS (1080 KRLD) – Don’t park your car along West Commerce Street in Dallas.  At least, not if you want to keep it.

The neighborhood is the worst in the U.S. for auto theft, according to new data from the insurance industry.

Nearly one in every four cars in the area gets stolen.  The rate for the neighborhood is 223 cars stolen per 1,000.  The national average is three per 1,000.

If you’re doing the math, the theft rate on West Commerce is 74 times the national average.

You might recognize the area as being down the street from the Dallas County Jail and Criminal Courts complex.

Apparently, the proximity to the jail is not a deterrent.

Nationwide, car theft was down across the country in 2010.

1. Hannah Andersen says:

Gosh, that’s where you have to go to pay your parking tickets, isn’t it?

2. Lonestar says:

It is best to Not Do Dallas.

3. Shannon Malone says:

Wow…I consider myself lucky that my car wasn’t stolen whenever I had to serve on jury duty this past summer….

4. Amy says:

My car was broken into last night in this area while dining at Smoke. This is news I wish I would have had yesterday…

5. Frank says:

You car is probably safe in the lots around there.It is a scary place down past the courthouse/jail.

6. Elmer says:

The area is also just down the street from little Juarez.

7. bDK says:

Then I guess they would want to have more police presence there. Or would that make too much sense?

8. stupidis says:

when theyre released from jail and are broke they haft to have a ride home, convenient to have cars paked nearby . police cant patrol, out giving tickets on freeway.

9. Frustrated says:

My pickup was stolen from the jaill parking lot. Called 911 to report it. Sheriff’s deputies all around couldn’t do anything about. Five police cars drove right past my location of their way to somewhere else. Two hours later, finally had to have a friend pick me up and take me to the Central Business District station to the file the report.

10. Paul says:

Where are the ‘bait’ cars when you need them???

11. Dr. Chipotle says:

If you check the link provided, it turns out this neigborhood is the mostly industrial area between Hampton and Westmoreland and Singleton and I-30, about three miles from the courthouse.

12. MartyR says:

Chipotle’s right. The cited 75212 area code section of West Commerce is wholly contained between Hampton and Westmoreland, completely inside the Lonestar Industrial Park.

Comments are closed.