Community Gathers In Burleson To Help Officer Fight Lymphoma

By David Olshansky, CBS 11 News

BURLESON (CBSDFW.COM) – In November, Joshua Police Officer Zach Mazey wasn’t feeling like himself. And after repeated trips to the doctor, he and his department got the news: He had been diagnosed with aggressive lymphoma.

On a fun-filled Sunday afternoon, the community gathered at Fresco’s Cocina Mexicana to raise awareness of the important cause.

“(We’re here to) show our support for Officer Mazey,” said Gina Nemitz, a secretary with the Joshua Police Dept.

At the age of 28, Mazey dedicated his life to fighting crime and protecting the community. That community came out in droves Sunday to help him overcome the fight for his life.

“It’s a career you get into because you care about people and you care about your community,” Mazey said. “It’s nice to know your community cares about you back.”

A portion of every customer’s bill will be donated to a fund for Mazey. Just last week, they raised more than $10,000 through a softball fundraiser.

“I can’t tell you how tremendously blessed I feel and how overwhelming it is to see the support that I’ve had,” Mazey said.

The Boston-native joined the force in September. He has no family in Texas; coworkers, however, beg to differ.

“We’re his family,” said Chief Annabeth Robertson. “We’re here to support him, help him through this.”

Through it all, Mazey has been able to put the diagnosis in perspective.

“It’s not easy, and it’s not pleasant, but as I’ve said before, I’m blessed this hasn’t been as bad as it could be,” he said.

And he had a smile planted on his face for much of Sunday afternoon. Click here for more information.

Comments

1. 2sister says:

I hope he is able to beat this thing. I have loved one struggling with cancer. My prayers are with this officer.

2. Logan says:

Hello,

I would like to help officer Macey. Please let me know how and where I should send a check.

1. Erika says:

Our heartfelt appreciation to CBS 11 for covering this! Cheers to Fresco’s Burleson for being so gracious. The generous musicians who gave their time and talent for this function were awesome! And the community who stopped in to show support. We Thank all of you from our hearts.
      Facebook:Officer Zach Mazey Benefit Page
      Pinnacle Bank
      456 S Broadway Joshua
      TX 76058 p:817-556-2417
      or2961 SW Wilshire Blvd
      Burleson TX 76028 p:817-558-2700
      Or any Pinnacle Bank, let them know it is for the Zach Mazey Benefit Fund!
      You can also mail donation to: Joshua Police Department 102 S. Main St., Joshua, TX 76058 817-558-3194

3. jeremy says:

I think this is great I wonder thou why more news stations don’t have something about this. Oh wait they are only concerned about Dallas.

4. Gina says:

Facebook:Officer Zach Mazey Benefit Page
    Pinnacle Bank
    456 S Broadway Joshua
    TX 76058 p:817-556-2417
    or2961 SW Wilshire Blvd
    Burleson TX 76028 p:817-558-2700
    Or any Pinnacle Bank, let them know it is for the Zach Mazey Benefit Fund!

5. Citizen says:

I think this is awesome what everyone is doing to help him. I would not wish this disease on anyone, however I do think it is very interesting how nothing like this was done for the Grandview officer who was badly injured in the line of duty or the dispatcher who quit work after getting cancer. Maybe it’s because the city manager is the Sheriff’s daughter? And her best friend is the Chief of Police? Hmmm?

1. Ashley says:

Citizen, you should be ashamed of yourself for typing this comment! First off, there were SEVERAL fundraisers for the Grandview Officer, Justin Frazell was involved in one of them, getting ALOT of radio/tv/newspaper attention! There were donations taking up for the Dispatcher that RETIRED! He did not quit because of Cancer, he was retiring regardless of his medical condition! THe city of Joshua came together to make these things happen! If there was lack of fundrasing for someone else in need, thats shame on their departments. This is not the place to point that out! Thanks to everyone who has helped “Team Mazey” through monetary donations and prayers. Please continue your prayers for him!

6. Leona says:

Dear Citizen…Shame on you!!! helping someone in need has nothing to do with politics! how dare you make this about anything else but helping a friend in need… And FYI fundraisers were done for the Grandview officer, know your facts before you speak!

Comments are closed.