Suspicious Arlington Fire Set To Cover Stabbing

Updated March 21, 2011 @ 9:25 p.m.

ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – An Arlington woman’s death has been determined to have been caused by multiple stab wounds, and not from a fire at her apartment that killed her infant son.

Arlington police said Monday that the deaths are being treated as homicides. Police spokeswoman Tiara Richard said, “As firefighters pulled the female victim from the apartment building, they noticed she had injuries that weren’t consistent with the fire itself, and so those injuries were suspicious in nature.”

Family members identified the dead as 26-year-old Mechelle Gandy and her 1-year-old son, Asher. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s office confirmed their identities. Late Monday night, they said the cause of death was multiple stab wounds, ruling her death a homicide.

A police statement said that the fire was reported around 10:15 p.m. Sunday at a bottom-floor apartment unit in the 2200 block of Presidents Corner. Firefighters pulled Gandy out of the burning apartment. She later died. Her baby was found dead in the home.

Her grandfather, Donald Gandy, said that she had only recently moved into the apartment complex after getting a new job.

Police initially said that the baby was a girl, but Richard later Monday updated information on the victims to say that the infant who died was a boy.

Police at the apartment complex Monday morning towed away a white car believed to be related to the investigation. Authorities have not commented on the vehicle.

A vigil was held at the apartment for Gandy and her son Monday night. Arlington police are asking anyone with information on the case to contact them.

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

1. Holly Ford says:

Mechelle is my cousin. She was such a loving and awsome person to know. She was the life of the party and was always there for you when you needed someone. I wish i could have met her son Asher as we live so far away now. Michelle and Asher will never be forgotten!

2. 2sister says:

I’m sorry for your loss.

3. bethany says:

Mechelle you will be missed and im so sorry I never got the chance to meet asher.he was a beautiful little boy…r.i.p

4. Tom says:

RIP What did the baby die of?

5. Sharon says:

So grateful to have known little baby Asher, what a beautiful, happy baby boy, I only met Mechelle once, what a tragedy. My thoughts are with Mechelle and Asher’s family during this difficult time. R.I.P Mechelle and Asher.

6. Lana says:

I’m going to miss them soo much RIP Mechelle and baby Asher

Im going to miss seeing your beautiful smile everyday

7. Julie Woods says:

We Love you Mech! Our prayers are with you , Asher and all your family! You will be greatly missed!

8. C B says:

I can’t even fathom being as evil as the trash who did this. A baby boy, too? The subhuman debris who did this is an animal, and should be put down as such.

1. Lana says:

I Agree

9. fayela says:

i lost two sons i couldnt imagine someone to be so cruel to intentionally take a babies life any life at that but a sweet innocent baby, rip angels

10. Julia Renee Wilson says:

Mechelle (while pregnant with Asher) and her close friend Lolo attended me and my spouse’s wedding on September 5, 2009. We all had a great time.

We were Mech’s customers at Red Robin, located in the Arlington Highlands. We loved being served by her. She had a professional but down to earth style and always kept us laughing and feeling appreciated.

My spouse and I were terribly shocked about Mech and her son’s death. Last night was very hard for us to sleep due to thinking about this misery.

I pray that Mech and Asher’s spirits are comforted in Jesus’ love. Rest In Peace!! We love you both!!!!

11. Lyndsay says:

I will never forget the first time I met Mechelle at Bostons! I had just recently moved to Texas and she made me feel instantly welcomed into the group!. Mechelle was a wonderful person with an amazing personality. I know that all of her friends, family, and anyone that ever had the chance to meet her will miss her dearly!!

12. Katrina Brinlee says:

I worked at Red Robin and met Mechelle through our circle of mutual friends she was a happy person and even happier when she found out she was pregnant. She and her precious son deserved so much better than this. To the person or persons responsible one way or another you will be punished . As we all will see judgement one day you will feel the wrath of what you have done!!!

Comments are closed.