Dallas Letter-Writing Campaign Fights Education Funding Cuts

By Marianne Martinez, CBS 11 News

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Nine-year-old Julia Hunt knows exactly what she wants to do when she grows up.

“I want to write books or be a reporter in the newspaper,” the third-grader said.

On Sunday, she practiced both by writing a letter about an issue that’s been in the news: Dwindling public education funding.

“I will just think they are trying to take away our education,” she said.

Julia asked Gov. Rick Perry to avoid cutting public education funding. It was part of a letter-writing campaign at a North Dallas Taco Cabana restaurant on Sunday.

A parent group called Stand Up for Dallas Schools organized it. Daysi Rivas learned of the event through an e-mail.

“I came here to support the education for my kids,” Rivas said, who has a son in the seventh grade. She is concerned about the possibility of increased class sizes.

“I think he’s not going to get the attention,” Rivas said.

Lori Foster, who has two children in DISD schools, said legislators need to find a permanent solution to education funding.

“Even if they use the Rainy Day fund to fill it this year, we’re going to be right back in the same boat in two years,” she said. “There’s a gap in the budget that created this hole and they have done nothing to fill that hole.”

As for Julia, she said she hopes lawmakers listen to her words so when she grows up, she’ll have the skills she need to keep on writing.

“For a writer, you have to learn how to type and write well,” she said.

1. 2sister says:

That is a very unnecessary comment. I don’t agree with going to a country illegally, but there is a nicer and more sensitive way of stating your opinion.

2. nobody knows says:

I can say this — the rest of you voters got exactly what you expected when you re-elected Rick Perry. Rick Perry wants to shut down everything the government provides and make the entire state a privatized enterprise.

I hope you people are proud of WHAT you elected, because you’re certainly getting it.

1. Dan says:

I’m much more embarassed by my Obama vote.

1. tODD says:

I am more embarassed that you live in the US

3. wallace1303 says:

CBS11 has done nothing but run this parade of liberal bleeding hearts in their “Crises in the Classroom” every day. It is not “news”…it is not “journalism” It is propaganda…and they know it. The US is second only to Luxembourg in spending per student in the whole world and number 28th in education in the world. Where is the money going???

If it were not for Larry Mowry’s weather I would never watch them.

1. Carl says:

2. Martha says:

Government spending is news. Don’t you want to see how the Republican politicians in our state government are sticking to their fiscal ideals and to hell with those who object to them? They are your ideals, right? Cut spending and services. To hell with those who lose their jobs, lose the help they cannot afford on their own, and to hell with the children who will not be helped by an already over-burdened agency (child protective services) and who will receive less than acceptable education. This does not affect you. So to hell with everyone else. Right. Oh yeah, Larry Mowry’s weather – it is all the news you care about.

3. Carol says:

It is going into Slick Ricks pockets !

4. CB says:

Hey, as long as they aren’t the Street Taco Trio tacos from Taco Bueno. Those things are tiny, and a RIP OFF at $4.69.

5. mark reynolds says:

Formal letter writing is one of the tasks you must deal with at FCE. Let’s have a look at some essential tips on paragraph organisation, layout, standard conventions & appropriate vocabulary and expressions.

Comments are closed.