Warrant Issued For Denton Man Who Allegedly Shot Ex

By Selena Hernandez, CBS 11 News

DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Police have issued an arrest warrant for a 27-year-old man they say shot his ex-girlfriend in the face. Coleman Nichols is wanted for aggravated assault, after police say he opened fire on a woman early Saturday morning.

The 32-year old victim and ex-girlfriend filed a protective order against Nichols last month. Even still, police say he showed up at her home unannounced and took aim.

The shooting happened at 4 a.m. on the 600 block of Juno in front of the woman’s home. She was standing with a friend when she was shot.

“He pulled up to his ex girlfriend’s house rolled down the window in his pickup –and fired a shotgun at her,” Denton Police spokesman Jim Bryan said.

“The victim was struck several times in the torso and facial area – she was transported to a local hospital. She was able to speak to investigators and tell them Coleman Nichols was the one who shot her.”

Police say Nichols had threatened his ex in the past. The woman’s mother said the two had been dating for a few years, but the relationship turned sour within the past few months. The couple has a seven-month-old son.

News of the violent shooting has neighbors worried and anxious about their safety.

“I came in around 3:30 – I didn’t hear anything, but I wasn’t looking to hear anything. I never lived in an area where there’s been guns fired. It’s definitely very nerve racking,” neighbor Tabatha Buckingham said.

The victim is in stable condition at an area hospital.

Denton Police say Nichols is driving a 1999 white Chevy pick-up with Texas Plates AC30692. Nichols has previous arrests in Denton for theft, aggravated robbery and criminal trespassing.

Anyone with information is asked to call police.

“We don’t just let anybody come over and we’re definitely going to be way more cautious about who’s over here and our outdoor activity because that’s really scary,” neighbor Samantha Mayfield said. “Really scary.”

1. Mr Black says:

Yeah, like not be walking the streets at 0400 and neighbors coming and going at 0330. Oh wait! Let me guess, they work nights. Yeah they’re working nights alright (wink wink).

1. wyatt says:

I’d say you pretty much nailed it.

2. FedUpTxn says:

I’d like to know why this isn’t attempted murder? Oh yea, he JUST tried to kill a woman. Doesn’t count much…… Texas spells justice “JUST US”, where women are still little more than property!

3. Christina says:

Is he from Grapevine? Would not surprise me.

4. latino man says:

that is not right assult is it because she mexican and hes white i demand are tougher charge! Wake up and smell the roses denton police !

5. BRAVE LADY says:

what if it had been her who had shoot him they would do somthing in a hurry come on denton ! HE AINT NO MAN A REAL MAN DONT BEAT A WOMAN OR HIDE BEHIND A GUN ! GROW UP AND GO CONFESS TO THE POLICE! HE MAY NOT GET JUSTICE FROM DENTON POLICE BUT HE WILL GET JUSTICE WITH GOD

6. Reeper says:

Denton a shotgun is attempted murder (by idiots that are not good shots), not aggravated assault. I don’t care if a person survives being shot or not it should go down at attempted premeditated murder since it is only their bad aim/judgment that keeps the victim alive. If they aim for feet/lower legs then it could be premeditated bodily injury–aggravated assault to me is with hands only and no weapons.
    Protective orders are not really protective unless you have a lot of time to report the violation ahead of time-does take a while for police to show up anyway. They also rarely detour anyone from violating them anyway since they are not good people to start with most of the time, yet at least not many end up attempting murder considering the number of orders given. Even one is too many though. I’ve had a protective order in life, and I knew it wouldn’t protect me way back before cell phones existed.
    If you get in a situation like this self protection is the only thing you can rely on or 24 hour private security which many can’t afford.
    This person looks like he wouldn’t have had a hard time finding another relationship even with his record, so he was really stupid. Anyone no matter what they look like though are stupid for pulling this stunt, because no women or man is worth throwing your life away for period.
    Mr Black yes when I lived in the city I worked the night shift for years on end, so it doesn’t matter what time of day or night this happens in.
    Yes real men never harm females, only cowards do.

7. DannyD says:

I’ve heard he’s in my area somewhere and I think he should turn his self in for what he did and he should be in jail for the other things he’s done bad

Comments are closed.