Arlington Teen Killed While Crossing The Street

By Bud Gillett, CBS 11 News

ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Police are trying to find the person responsible for the death of a 15-year-old girl who was hit by a vehicle while attempting to cross the street.

The incident happened just after 9 p.m. Monday in the 3000 block of South Cooper Street, near Mayfield Road.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office has identified the teenager as Jennifer Herring. Police said Herring and her boyfriend were trying to walk across the street near her home when a vehicle hit her and then fled the scene.

“She was transported to an area hospital where she later died,” said Oz Flores, with the Arlington Police Department. “The vehicle did not stop and render aid.”

Flores said her boyfriend was “well ahead of” Herring and had already crossed the street when she was hit.

“Once that individual got to the other side, he turned around and looked and did not see her there and at that point noticed she was laying on the ground,” Flores said.

The boyfriend is cooperating with police, however Flores said investigators still do not know the make or model of the car that killed the 15-year-old.

Herring’s parents showed pictures of a girl who loved animals and who won awards for riding, even though she didn’t get a horse of her own until this month. She planned to begin barrel racing lessons this weekend and held out long-term hopes of becoming a veterinarian.

According to the Arlington Independent School District, Herring was a sophomore at Bowie High School. Administrators said she excelled in creative writing and photographer.

School counselors and staff will be available on Tuesday to help students cope with the tragedy.

“It’s very somber,” said Arlington ISD communications director Leslie Johnston. “All her teachers say she was a unique and independent student and was well-liked by everyone on campus.”

Meanwhile, Arlington police are trying to find the driver responsible for Herring’s death, and would like help from any possible eyewitnesses.

“We certainly are reaching out to the public for any passerby’s who may have seen something, or anyone who was walking by who may have witnessed it, to provide us some information,” Flores said.

Flores asks anyone who may have witnessed the incident or have any information that may help authorities with the case to call Arlington police.

“I know that the students are upset, of course, over the loss, and they’re working through that with the counselors on-site,” Johnston said.

This marks the 10th traffic fatality in Arlington so far this year.

Comments

1. laura field says:

wow…sick just sick…to hit a child then leabe the scene…someone saw it ….call the police..what if it was ur family….geeeezzzzz

2. MELISSA JENKINS says:

I AM NOT PERFECT, BY NO MEANS, I HAVE MY FAULTS, BUT I WOULD NEVER HIT A CHILD, AND THEN FLEE THE SCENE. GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR THAT. IF YOU HAVE ANY CONSCIENCE AT ALL PLEASE TURN YOURSELF IN, SO THE FAMILY CAN BEGIN THE GRIEVING PROCESS. YOU DIDN’T MEAN TO DO IT, I’M SURE, BUT YOU DID IT NEVER THE LESS, AND NEED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE CRIME. MAMMA SAID IF YOU RUN FROM HER THE WHOOPIN’ WILL BE 10 TIMES WORSE THAN IF YOU JUST STAND STILL. COOPER AND MAYFIELD IS A BAD SECTION ANYWAY FOR DRIVING. PLEASE PLEASE TURN YOURSELF IN. THE PUNISHMENT MAY NOT BE AS SEVERE , BUT IF YOU TRY TO HIDE IT AND WAIT, YOU WILL BE SHOWING YOU ARE CARELESS, THOUGHTLESS, SOUL LESS INDIVIDUAL. AND IF ANYONE SAW WHO DID IT, OR THE TYPE OF CAR/SUV, PLEASE TELL THE POLICE. IF YOU SAW ANYTHING YOU DON’T THINK IS RELIVANT IT MAY BE, TELL THE POLICE. IT COULD JUST AS WELL BEEN YOUR FAMILY MEMBER.

3. MELISSA JENKINS says:

I USED TO WORK AT THAT 7-ELEVEN ON THE CORNER OF COOPER AND MAYFIELD, AND WE WERE ABLE TO SEE MANY THINGS GO ON ON THAT CORNER, ACCIDENTS, DRUG SALES, ECT. SO I AM SURE SOMEONE IN THE 7-ELEVEN SAW IT, OR HEARD IT, OR A CUSTOMER SAW IT. PLEASE ,PLEASE, HAVE A HEART . I AM CERTAIN SOMEBODY SAW IT, AND MAY BE IN FEAR OF RETALIATION, BUT THE POLICE HAVE A TIP LINE THAT IS DISCREET. YOU CAN CALL IT AND LEAVE TIP.

4. wolfspirit says:

This is so sad and my heart goes out to the family. I bet the driver was drunk. I hope he or she is found and goes to prison.

5. Brandy Pandora Beall says:

omg she was one of my bestfriends we known each other sence we where 5 i just cant beleive it i just saw her in class yesterday and we where haven fun talkin!!!! i could not stay at school i was cryin so bad i could not see str8! i hope they give u the death penalty u took my bestfriend away from me u took her from her family!!!! how could u sleep last night???? ur sick i hope they find u!!!!

6. Brandy Pandora Beall says:

u dont know the pain u just cased her friends and family i hope u trun urself in!!!!!!! or they find u!!!!

7. Beanz says:

Brandy: Im so sorry for the loss of your friend honey. Stay close to your other friends and family during this difficult time. Try to let go of the anger I know you feel. I’ll be praying that your friends killer is brought to justice.

8. Connor Dalton says:

Brandy from boyfriend’s account: Thank you beanz. it is very hard to deal with and none of my friends understand. i am holding it in. I just cant believe that she is gone. so do I

9. Connor Dalton says:

i knew her well and she did cross at the light……….

10. Brandy Pandora Beall says:

“I have some information concerning Jennifer. If you guys would, please pass this on to as many people as you can. The viewing is Thurday from 6pm to 9pm at Moore and Sons Funeral Home, S. Arlington at the intersection of Bowen and Pleasant Ridge Rd. Jennifer’s Dad, Thad, has ask that if there is something special you would like to sen…d with Jennifer to bring it then and it will be buried with her. He also said that there would be sharpies to write a message to her own casket. The funeral is Friday morning at 10am at Woods Chapel Baptist Church located at 2400 California Lane which is the intersection of Bowen and California Lane. She will be buried at Tate Springs Cemetery. I don’t have the address on it. I will provide more information as I receive it.”

1. Thad Herring says:

Viewing is from 6:00 to 8:00 pm

11. Brandy Pandora Beall says:

pplthat know her

12. NATHAN WENDELL TORRES says:

jennifer was by far the most outstanding character i could ever ask to meet in my lifetime, i’ll be missin her but one day i know ill see her again, as for the person who just made anyome who love or ever will love charish her even more, i hope you believe in god, know that some things are better left unsaid, i dont have the words to convey my personal message to her friends and family, however i feel like im right there with you. i spent some time talking to jennifer reacently, and i know that if i spent my whole life serching the world for some one like her, i would die trying, she was the one of a kind person in this world, and to her parents i am forever greatful, that i had the privledge of meeting and knowing your daughter, she truly was gods great gift, to all of us..

1. Thad Herring says:

13. Marilynn says:

To the Herring family. May you find peace in knowing that you had a daughter that touched the life of many. I didn’t know her but my grandaughter knew her thru a friend. I will pray for your family and the person that caused her death. May they turn to God

14. Brandy Pandora Beall says:

u will be missed jenny we all love and miss u!!!!!!!!!!

15. Devon Brewer says:

I knew Jennifer for awhile when I went to Bowie High School and she was one of the most kindest studerts I made friends with and I just want her parents to know that I am sorry for their loss and that she will never be forgotten in my heart!

16. Charles Michael Tankersley says:

in the time i known this girl i have grown to love her and she broke a special hole in my heart. i spent many hours talking with her i told her to stay safe. told her to stay home and not get in to trouble.. always called her a stupid girl for not listening.. i gave her warnings tried to point her in the right direction.. she must have a hard head she just never listened to anyone.. i loved you girl i was to weak to go see your burial.. i couldnt do it.. im trying not to go on thinking it is not real.. i dont want it to be real yet.. just not yet.. ill see you soon.. ill miss and love you girl.. i made you stick by me while crossing.. but i cant protect you from afar.. im sorry.

good news they say if it rains after a death you go to heaven.. its been storming.. they must love you there.. good Bye little one. Good Night.

1. Mark Omata says:

thanks charlie, for making me feel horrible, i gues i deserve nothing less

17. Elizabeth Jetton says:

Wow my thoughts and prayers go out to her friends and family. I hope when they find the driver that person is set life in prison or death penalty!! God bless to all these people that are thinking and caring about this beautiful girl thats life been taken by such a foolish uncaring person!! RIP you will never be forgotten

18. Mark Omata says:

Jennifer Davina Herring was the whole reason i was living my life, now that she isnt by my side, makes things more difficult than ever. she was everything a boyfriend/ fiancée could ever wish for in a woman, going to her funeral was definitely not the easiest thing, but it was what she would have wanted and no matter what it would have been, id do it without hesitation! she definitely had a bright future, she was remarkably smart and im more than sure that she could have done anything she could have wanted, i was the luckiest man to spend my life with her and like some one once told me, “she not in a better place, she in the BEST place!” and that I know is true! i will always love you Jennifer Davina Herring, no matter what.

19. Mark Omata says:

I will play your favorite song on the guitar every chance i get to visit, i know i couldnt finish it that day, but one day ill sooth your soul will music you always loved to hear!

20. Brittany Howard says: