Easter Eggs Will Fall From The Sky In McKinney

McKINNEY (KRLD) – Leaders at one McKinney church decided they wanted to hold more than just the run-of-the-mill Easter egg hunt.

So, Community Life Church will stuff plastic eggs candy and prizes, but they won’t hide them.

“We are dropping 30,000 Easter Eggs from a helicopter and then allowing children from the ages of one, all the way on up to 15 [years old], to go on out and collect as many of those eggs as possible,” explained Pastor Mike Banas.

Pastor Banas says ‘Operation Egg Drop’ and other Community Life Easter giveaways are being done for a very specific reason. “We have a lot of people in our church who would just like to give back to the community and so we thought this would be a good way to give back,” he said.

‘Operation Egg Drop’ starts at 9:30 Saturday morning at Community Life Church, just north of McKinney High School.

This event is free and open to the public.

1. Matt Bowerman says:

The first thing that came into my head was the line from WKRP in Cincinnati. “As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.”

1. Susan M. says:

LOL !@ Matt.. that’s the first thing that I though of too.. funny🙂

2. Lisa says:

Great minds think alike. “Oh, the humanity!”

3. 2sister says:

Actually, turkeys can fly if they don’t weigh to much. They can’t fly very high. My dad’s family used to raise turkeys when he was growing up.

2. rd says:

how is dropping plastic eggs filled with candy “giving back to the community”?

1. Heather says:

Maybe it just brings some joy, that’s all. Nothing wrong with that. Don’t make the assumption that they don’t do other community service things either. They sound connected with the community.

3. Patricia says:

Good idea. I remember way back when the shopping center in my neighborhood did that at Christmas time, and all the stores participated, in that they donated gift certificates and such..It was a blast.

4. Patricia says:

oh, they dropped ping pong balls with prizes, not Easter Eggs.

5. meadow says:

I was thinking of WKRP where they dropped turkeys from the helicopter.

6. fran says:

this will be a wonderful thing to do. the fun is wourth it all and will be in minds for a very long time.. from that far up will these eggs hut when they hit someone?

1. Lisa Owens says:

I imagine they will drop them before they let the kids loose.

7. mark says:

dumbest thing ever. I can think of about a million ways better to spend the money. I am sure there are people in that congregation that are having a tough time feeding their kids or paying their rent. If you want to give back to the community help them.

1. fred says:

SO TRUE… I was going to type what you did. I agree… how pitiful. If I ran a church… I would be feeding as many kids as I could year round… and not some “plastic egg” celebration for a feel good day

1. Pookybear says:

well aren’t you all just a freaking ray of sunshine? What makes you think that the church doesn’t have a planned lunch for those to show up? It’s a freaking easter egg drop for KIDS, it’s not a Nobel Peace Prize project….lighten up a little!!

2. msrosiee says:

Thank God for his kind Wisdom for not letting you have a church.How do you know that the Helicopter Co didn’t donate the time and GAS yes Gas to make some people young and old just a little happier.How do you know that the members of the church didn’t give lunches or some other treats also.If you can’t do Good things or Say good things about what others are trying todo to bring some cheer to a trying time put one hand over your mouth and the other over your eyes and Just Listen.Thank you Easter Bunny’s helper(smile).

3. jermaine says:

That is ignorant. If we lived in your world any time someone did something that helped one person but not society it would be madness.

you have $10,000.

Option #1
        you spend it on renting a helicopter to throw candy down for a bunch of kids who would also be super pumped to get candy that was lying on the ground.

Option #2
        You spend it on
        a family of 5 that is going to a food shelter because mom and dad just got laid off.

sure you make it on the news doing the extravagant fiesta but that family is struggling.

8. Nicole says:

Absolutely Dangerous

9. Old Texan says:

Typical church thinking. Completely out of touch with reality. I agree with Mark.
    There is at the present time large areas in Western Texas, within a hundred miles of that church that the people need to re-build their lives, having lost everything in fires. I wonder how much this church contributed to the fire efforts? Or perhaps they are helping re-build the churches that burned? I doubt it. The rent on the helicopter would have paid hours of helicopter use at the fires. But celebrating fertility rites of the old Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring is more important. Now that they have had their moment of glory for the Easter egg hunt, perhaps they should burn some books. Keep themselves in the spotlight and news a bit longer. I think Jesus had a few comments along that line.

1. BUNNY'S HELPER says:

Old Forts never die they just smell away,If the Heliopter Co donated the time whats nexts to complain about,How do you know that the Co didn’t help with the fires.WHAT DID OR WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HELP.???

10. Beanz says:

Damn, I hate to see some of yall Scrooge’s at Christmas! They want to have an event for the kiddies…is that SO wrong? With all thats going on, it’d be nice for people to get out and have a little good clean fun. And every Scrooge above me has no idea what this particular church does with their money so until you get some bank statements, keep your mouth shut. SMH.

1. taylor says:

it’s because they envy it, since they are “out of touch with reality”, the church isn’t considerate of others..

those same people pointing fingers, don’t do anything to help either.. They talk about what they should do with that money.. And it’s to help kids! There is nothing wrong with that!

Is God limited by money to help others?? Absolutely not, it will get done..these people limit God’s ability without even realizing it!

11. B says:

Great idea, Beanz! Let’s see some church bank statements! I’m sure they’d reveal plenty!

12. bob m says:

Sounds like hard hats are in order. I am shocked that the park would allow the easter bunny to have a flying sleigh. revisionism everywhere

13. jenn says:

I bet someone will sue, b/c their kid got hit in the head with an egg.

14. Shelly W. says:

Why are you questioning what the church is doing for the community? Why don’t you worry about what you are doing. I do my part to contribute to the community, help out with the local United Way and ALSO take my grandchildren to Easter egg hunts. I read this article and thought what a wonderful idea. Why would you want to take this away from them. After all they are just CHILDRED.

1. mark says:

Children deserve to have Easter eggs way more than shelter or food because no one needs that right?

1. fred says:

Mark, once again..you are right on target..I shake your hand. Glad to see there are at least TWO rational humans here

15. Shelly W. says:

Sorry Mark, I meant Children. I do sometimes get in a hurry when I type.

What do Easter eggs have to do with shelter or food? Absolutely Nothing!
    And by the way it is as you would say good that I go to bed each night knowing that I have done everything within my means to help people (including the fire victims and fire fighters). Just makes me wonder how you go to bed each night.
    By the way, my daughter has friends who are victims and we are taking their young children to an Easter egg hunt. The parents feel it would be good for them to get away from everything that has happened. They are young and don’t understand.

1. mark says:

No Shelly I totally understand. First off I think It is wonderful that you do what you can to help people. I also think that it is a wonderful thing to make children happy especially after such a traumatic loss be it with an Easter egg hunt or any other way. My point is not that these children do not deserve to have a great time celebrating the holiday. My issue comes down to what connects the Easter eggs and shelter and food and that is money. Renting the helicopter costs money. Feeding people costs money. I think there are more rational ways to use funds. I would argue that 90% of kids would enjoy a regular easter egg hunt almost as much. So is this event for the kids, or for publicity?

And again I am not critiquing you, I am sure you do great things, I just think there may be a more responsible way of spending money.

16. Lynne says:

I’m with Mark and Fred. I understand that Easter egg hunts are fun for little kids, but in a week or two, they aren’t even going to remember the helicopter, so why waste the money? They could donate that money to schools that are facing budget crunches, feed and clothe the homeless, etc. And don’t they realize that as soon as those eggs hit the ground they will pop open, ruining the fun of the surprise inside? After all the kids are gone, dozens of volunteers are going to have to go pick up every piece of chocolate on the ground so animals don’t eat them and die. At least with traditional egg hunts the cleanup is a lot easier.
    No one ever said not to do the Easter egg hunt at all, but the idea of a helicopter is ridiculous. In no way is dropping eggs out of a helicopter giving back to the community.

1. mark says:

Yea what she said

17. gimmepeeps! says:

Those of you pointing fingers of judgment might want to take a look at that same hand because there’s three other fingers pointing right back at you, last time I checked there was only one person qualified to judge. Unless you’re an actual member of that church, you’ve got no clue what type of community projects this church is involved in, you’re just making a bunch of assumptions..and we all know what happens when you assume…oh..you can pick any of the listed nicknames for yourself…wet blanket, stick in the mud, party pooper, negative nelly, overall sucker of life out of the party..geez..it’s Spring and Easter, guess you forgot what it was like to be a kid. GET A LIFE!

18. P.N. Elrod says:

Isn’t Easter about Jesus getting resurrected and telling us to be NICE to each other in His name? What’s with all the name calling?

When did littering a field with plastic eggs (Hello: Earth Day!) full of tooth-rotting, animal-killing candy, followed by greed in action with a race to grab more of it than the next kid come into things?

Why not scale down the hunt, then have the kids help out by hosting a dinner for the homeless, or is that too much real life for them?

Just keep the dears out from under the ‘copter when it takes a dump on that unoffending field, lest we have an eggy version of that WKRP “Turkey’s” episode.

PS– Bunnies can’t fly. Not even a little. So don’t try it.

They’re very good in a stew, though.

1. CD says:

1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
      3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

19. 2sister says:

I wonder if many of those plastic eggs will break or fall apart? I mean they are going to be dropping them from a helicopter.

20. Paula says:

I do attend Community Life Church and I understand some of the concerns about how money is spent. Let me just say, however, that Community Life Church is also VERY intentional about helping the poor in the community as well. We partner with a group called 3E in McKinney which is involved in helping the community of McKinney in a variety of ways. We also are very involved with the Samaritan Inn in McKinney, (the local homeless shelter.) as well as other things such as partnering with Kohl’s in their annual Clothe a Child.
    In short, our pastor is totally into trying to help the community, not just with the gospel but in many tangilble ways as well, as with the gospel which is what ultimately changes lives.
    Regarding the safety concerns, those have been addressed. No one will be allowed on the field during the egg drops and we have a security team to see that this happens. The local police are aware of our intent and they are good with it.
    I would invite anyone with reservations or criticisms to come by and check us out. I think you would find us a pretty likable bunch!😉

Regarding safety concerns,

1. jeff says:

Well said Paula! I invite everyone to come and check this out!!

21. Paula says:

I forgot to add that we have tested the eggs with some harsh treatment and they are pretty tight. We don’t feel they will burst apart. Also, we have a volunteer clean up crew if any candy or litter is left on the field, it will be removed immediately after the event!

1. 2sister says:

I was just curious, because some brands of those plastic eggs are pretty flimsy.

22. Jonathan Hutson says:

I am about to date myself here BIG TIME, but that is okay.

I am reminded of an incident that occurred back in the “Cabbage Patch Doll” craze in the mid 1980’s, two disc jockeys in Green Bay, Wisconsin, announced that anyone who wanted (but was unable to locate) a Cabbage Patch Doll (which was about 90% of little girls everywhere) simply needed to go to Lambeau Field on the Saturday before Christmas at 3:00 p.m.

They further announced that an Air Force B-52 would be flying over, dropping Cabbage Patch Dolls with parachutes attached to each doll. Payment, they said, would be accepted by the pilot, who would simply scan the buyer’s credit card, which would be accomplished by the buyer simply holding up the card for the pilot of the B-52 to see, and then scan.

Because of this announcement, the televison networks and radio stations were flooded with calls. Switchboards were jammed, and a major traffic jam was reported om the parking lot of Lambeau Field.

People finally went home when it was announced that it was a hoax…

23. jeff smith says:

As another member of Community Life Church.I would like to see anyone with concerns for our finances or any other concerns to come down and speak with our Pastor! He will be glad to clear the air for any concerns! Mark I personally invite you and would love to speak with you personally about your concerns.

24. mark says:

Wow my opinion really got blown out of proportion. I am not criticizing the church rather I am throwing another opinion out there for discussion. I am sure that the church runs a very tight ship and helps many, many people out. I just feel that it is important to think more deeply about events than what the story held. I did not intend to offend or upset anyone. I am even planning on driving my kids up there for the event, I am sure it will be blast, but rest assure I will also talk to them about how important it is to think about other who may be less fortunate.

25. michaeljk says:

Easter Eggs? Seriously? A church buying into the ‘Easter Bunny’ Which by the way is a christian corruption of a pagan holiday. What happened to the Easter Passion Plays – or gee how about the church offering easter dinners to the homeless in their community? Or they could help some of the elderly with spring cleaning. But candy eggs served up via heliocopter to kids already too overweight for their own good health? Come on people!

26. les says:

i have read these comments . this Easter and it’s for kid’s , don’t ruion for the kid’s !!!!!!!!! if you are so worried about feeding the homeless , then you do it !!!!!!!

27. michaeljk says:

Wow les, what a truely Christian thing to say, tell me how many homeless are you feeding this Easter?

28. Clint says:

Paula and Jeff,

Good to see you guys on here putting in a good word for CLC. I thought the event went awesome today! We had a blast and heard numerous people asking what time our services are each Sunday, so I know the community outreach was a great success. Only thing I had a beef with…….wasn’t the iPad giveway rigged in lieu of Eric winning?? haha…just kidding😉

I also invite anyone reading this to come to CLC tomorrow for our Easter service. We hope to see you there!

Comments are closed.