Texas Group Increasing Amount Of ‘Whites Only’ Scholarships

TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM/KRLD) – Applications are reportedly piling in for a controversial college scholarship that is available for white men only.

The founder of The Former Majority Association for Equality, Colby Bohannan, says the scholarship is not about race. “We just saw an opportunity to help a group that doesn’t have a specific scholarship base just for it and we decided to fill that gap.”

Bohannan says the whites only scholarship is, in part, about getting attention, but not the political kind. “I think it’s a great way to get attention. Especially whenever you’re getting attention to those people who are trying to afford $40,000 for college tuition,” he said. “I think those people need attention. I think they need attention and they need help.”

Many people think the scholarship is doing anything but help. Wayne Krauss, with the Texas Civil Rights Project, says it is in fact racist and regressive. “This is one person who’s trying to take it back to the Jim Crow era and that’s a shame. But, we shouldn’t be distracted by that.”

Krauss thinks the scholarship overshadows the progress this country has made in race relations. “This type of race baiting actually attacks that diversity and tries to create division where there should be none,” he said matter-of-factly.

Bohannan claims that the intent of the scholarship is clear. “Our organization attempts to find four people out there, who are trying to go the school and better their life by getting an education, and give them financial aid,” he said.

But Krauss questioned, “If it’s not about black and white then why is he preventing all people of color from receiving this scholarship?”

Bohannan says he purpose of The Former Majority Association for Equality is to draw focus to the high cost of tuition and the inability for people to pay for college without help.

Thursday night the board for the group voted to increase their goal for the fall of 2012 from scholarships of $500 per student to $5,000 per student.

Comments

1. Friendtoall says:

Dear wayne Krauss and any other white people haters,

Why is It ok to have the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (naacp) and any other organization, which I am sure there are many more, that are exclusive to promoting a race other than white, but as soon as white people try to advance themselves it becomes racist. Just remember, white people aren’t the only peole who are racist. I’ve known plenty of Black folks who are racist as well as mexicans. I get damn sick and tired of being a target because I am a white male. If you start to push people around to much they are going to start to push back. If you want to lower the amount of racism, quit making everything about race. There is some point in your life you have got to realize that though some people in this world will be against you because of your race, not everyone is, and that you have got to start taking personal responsibility for your life and stop trying to make others promote yours. Pretty soon we, “white devils”, will run out of “white guilt”. Stop pushing your anti white agenda so hard and maybe it will get you farther.

1. tracey watts says:

As far as the scholarship is concerned, it IS racist. True, it is no more racist than the others mentioned, but for/ with a different purpose. Those other mentioned groups/ societies/ scholarships were formed to help decendants of those who were/ are, at best, second-class citizens in a “White” society. The American Indians were killed/ died by disease/ driven off their land by who? The English/ Dutch/ Portugese, etc. slave traders who brought the majority of slaves to America(s) were…? The minorities previously mentioned have been given recent consideration because they are STILL at a disadvantage in this society. Example(s): Native Americans (in the US) are all but EXTINCT. Even those who remain dont look Asian, but White. US prisons are ~70% African American. Yet, African Americans make up 14% of the population. It’s not that whites don’t commit crimes, or that they are not caught, but that they dont suffer the persecution, proscecution, or the punishment of non-whites. It has been shown that “white” crimes (those committed by whites) recieve a lesser degree of punishment than those committed by non-whites. The face of the welfare system is a single, African American mother. Most recipients are actually white females. I could do this, all day. My point is that the “other” scholarships were intended to help “even” the playing field through education. The new “whites only” scholarship only serves to make the victimizer seem, somehow, like the victim. No, whites are not evil. But in the words of the great Charlie Sheen, Whites are “Winning”. In truth, ALL pointers to race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, etc… should be removed from ALL applications that seek “fairness”. There should be no personal interviews, no employer perusing of Facebook profiles, etc… nothing that would serve to help identify and classify a person with a particular group. Then “scholarships” could be based on “merit”.

1. Jason says:

2. trey says:

You need to check your stats and apply those numbers per capita of the race. You can’t keep blaming someone else for all of a persons problems. Obama rose above it all so yes it acan be done. I agree with you in one area… all jobs , scolershipts, welfare, bank loans, grants and permits should be awarded on merit… should never be asked what race you are… no more naacp, lulac, or any organization who promotes one race above another… Until then, I see nothing wrong with this scholarship.

2. LEROY says:

If you are white you will never understand the generational pain of slavery, Jim crow and the vicous racist of the south; moreover the institutionalized racism that the supreme “lilly white” courts agreed existed. We have a president that had to prove over and over that he is an american and you can not tell me that a lot of white people to this day still do not believe he is an amercan, Have you seen any black people attacking whites for this sillyness or ignorance? No we have for the most part been silent, but it’s people like you who destroy this country with your white Supremacist belief, We did not ask to come here, but we are here now DEAL WITH IT.

1. uncle says:

You sound like a real die hard racist who will never stop hating. Why do you continue to fan the fires of long ago ? You have never been a slave so stop acting like you are living in the pain of slavery!

2. letsgetoverourselves says:

You don’t understand slavery first hand because you were not one. I don”t understand slavery first hand because I have never had a slave. This has never been a silent issue.

Maybe you could answer this…..If there is an AFRICAN AMERICAN HEALTH EXPO and I am white does that mean I am not welcome there! And just a news flash….if you are white I’ll bet you won’t be hired at WILLIAM’S CHICKEN! Wassup with that!
        All of this stems back to the “KIND” of person–NOT the COLOR! And as for the President …they need to leave him alone …and I am white! (And I never have received special consideration for it! Ihave had to work hard and make my way!) Live and let live! God doesn’t see us as a color…we are all his children! Let’s start acting like it!

3. uncle says:

You hit the nail on the head, its about time someone spoke up for us white devils. I am tired of being bashed by black people because of my skin color ! If black people dont stop hating on white people, white people will start to hate back. Its a good time to look to the future, not dwell in the past!

2. Finally. says:

White are the minority now, so get over it everyone. About time.

3. bertha jones says:

Thank God someone is taking the initiative to even out the playing field. You cannot say that there is an overbundance of priveleges and handouts available to blacks and hispanics. Not only that our universitites and colleges, courts, government entities and legiislatures all discriminate against whites one way or another. So, good for The Former Majority Association for Equality of encouraging white maies to pursue an education and to not be discouraged by the discrimination that they encounter when they apply assistance. If I had money I would contribute to the cause.

1. Bertha jones says:

Wait, I spotted an error in my statement. Second sentence should say “You cannot say there is NOT an overabundance of priveleges and handouts available to blacks and hispanics”.

4. mrs.magee says:

There are blacks-only scholarships available through the United Negro College Fund, correct? Are we still paying for an atrocity that ended 150 years ago? My daughters are of Native American descent and you can bet we’ll take advantage of the college money offered to them. If there are scholarships and grants available to blacks and Native Americans, why not whites? There are thousands of scholarships out there for everything under the sun. Get over it.

1. 2blue4u says:

I could not agree with your more. You can not hold a country hostage forever because of the atrocities committed by our forefathers..

2. uncle says:

Right on Mrs. Magee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep telling it like it is.

5. zanupf says:

Now we want a group to fund shelters for abused husbands; marriage and benefit rights for heterosexuals who are suffering from the persecution of gays, and a group to advocate for white protestants who have been barred from the presidency of the United States by the Roman Chatolics.

1. william says:

How about these Mormons and Muslims who dominate the presidency of the United States, that we only 43 of our 44 presidents are protestants. Protestants are suffering in the US.

6. Steve says:

Racist?????? What the hell are the United Negro College Fund, the Black Caucus, the Mexican American Chamber of Commerce, the Black Chamber of Commerce, and on and on and on. I get sick of hearing every white person being called racist. And I’m sick of hearing that our government owes black people for slavery that occurred 150 years ago — there’s not a black person alive today who had to live through that period, so get over it!!!!!!!!!!!

1. blondie says:

AMEN!

2. uncle says:

Steve, all i can say is you get a big Amen from me !

3. Sandee Jones says:

you go Steve!!!!

7. Whwlf says:

Finally. I’m tired of the “black” only and “hispanic” only scholarships that “whites” cannot apply for. What is wrong with this group filling a much needed gap. Get over it people.

1. David says:

Actually, Hispanic scholarships go to both whites or blacks…since Hispanics can be of either white or black.

8. david says:

Fair is Fair

9. underground_predator says:

hmmmm, i am detecting a lot of panic going on, who cares who gets scholarship.

1. uncle says:

Predator, its not panic its a very real and growing dislike about the way whites are being treated today.

10. Cavan Dierckman says:

Finally! What’s the difference with all the specialist groups do this for there so called ” people “

11. RussP says:

I doubt if we’ll ever have a totally equal society, whether based on race, class or nationality but as long as people continue to feel the need for identifiers as African American or Latin American; we’ll never get there. Every citizen needs to just consider themselves an American. Until then, the devisiveness of groups like LULAC, the NAACP and even the KKK will openly continue.

12. rick says:

It’s about time someone stuck up for us! I’m sick and tired of all the oppressive institutions and centuries of inequality. We have been kicked around and left out in the cold. Sure we’ve had every single president until this one but what if it happens again? We CANNOT let it happen again! I’m seeing more and more corporations (surely through affirmative action) hire more minority executives and leaving more and more of our kind out in the cold. I’m seeing all these “minorities” whining and complaining about their government representatives supposedly not “reflecting” the actual communities they serve. Whatever! I can’t wait for more heroes to emerge like this guy to help lead our disenfranchised and horribly underrepresented people into the promised land! And don’t get me started on illegals!

13. JimBob says:

~ Any Black only event is OK” But turn it around & it’s racist” You can CRAM your racist double standard there Black Folks or whatever you demand to be called this year ~

1. uncle says:

JimBob, your ok !

14. Komer says:

Get a grip and grow up.This is a free country is it not,tired of all the drying .Good God ,is this all you have to worry over.!

15. JimT says:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

When we stand before God in the judgement, will we be able to say we loved one another…..simply, loved one another.

It is a trick of the devil for us to see race and the devil uses race to keep us divided. Show your neighbor that you love him/her and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how infectious it can be and in your neighborhood at least, you will defeat the devil’s schemes and plots that keep you divided.

16. Coconut says:

I’m Hispanic (of Mexican descent) and I am all for this scholarship! I hear of black this, Hispanic that, Asian this, etc., but there is not one set for white Americans. And no its not racist!! Call me a sell-out but I’ve had enough of non-whites pulling out the race card every time! Its racist when you have an only black, Hispanic, asian, Yellow, brown group and not allow the whites to have their white only group. Get over it and be an adult about it!

17. Hawk11B says:

I goggled ” college scholarships for blacks” resulting in 69 pages covering scholarships for blacks in every condition imaginable. Blacks, black men black women, black Caribbeans, etc.

18. tracey watts says:

“Jason

Im not sure when the last time you applied for scolarships was but when I did in ’03 there were plenty of scolarships that were for “African-American” students only in fact seemingly more than the ones available to the general public. But no cry of foul was shouted then….so please, with all due respect shut up. Its not racist…”

Jason, calm down. Your response was rude. I don’t mind discussing anything with you, but the conversation will be respectful. Again, it IS racist. Please see the definition below:

” 2. racist – discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion”

It is racist because it is discriminatory, based on race.

19. Rick McDaniel says:

Nice to see something being done, about equalizing things again.

20. darrell says:

Great ideal. now if we can just get a holiday that celebrates a white guys birthday and a national honky month all that leaves is reversal of affirmative action.

21. TXmama says:

Although it appears the scholarship is only for 4 white men, at least it’s a start, and I’m glad to see most of the comments here are in favor of this. As someone stated previously, fair is fair. College is expensive for everyone, not just minorities.

I’d also like to reach out to Mr. Krauss…and slap the spit out of him. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended).🙂

22. Mr. Blue says:

*Tracey-
    Based on the definition you posted, all scholarships that are only available to Africans, Hispanics, Asians, etc would also, in fact be racist. Because they are discriminatory to caucasians!! So please continue arguing that this new scholarship is racist, just makes you sound like more a hypocrite.

1. tracey watts says:

wow. did you read the second sentence of my original post? i stated what you just wrote. let’s not hurl insults, but have an intelligent conversation. i am anything but a hypocrite.

April 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm
      “True, it is no more racist than the others mentioned, but for/ with a different purpose.”

1. tracey watts says:

Better, yet, below is the last portion of my original post.

“In truth, ALL pointers to race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, etc… should be removed from ALL applications that seek “fairness”. There should be no personal interviews, no employer perusing of Facebook profiles, etc… nothing that would serve to help identify and classify a person with a particular group. Then “scholarships” could be based on “merit”.”

23. HooDatIS? says:

AS A BLACK MAN I DONT SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS, I THINK IT TEACHES OTHER COMMUNITIES THAT SOMETIMES YOU GOT TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN, NOTHING WRONG WITH IT….I WISH I COULD SOCIALLY NETWORK WITH THIS GROUP AND FIND A SUCCESSFUL WAYS TO DO THE SAME THING…..QUIT CALLING PEOPLE RACIST…IT AINT ALWAYS ABOUT RACISM…
    VISIT MY BLOG

24. Reeper says:

Not much help towards the tuition thus it is only racist founded statement or it would pay a lot more for tuitions. Top that it excludes some whites because they are not the right sex? How many whammies does that make on people of their same race?
    Just because there are others out there doing the same thing does not make it right for any other good human being to repeat it. I do find humor in the fact for years on end those in the minority’s were left not helped (women, races) and now I guess the shoe is on the other foot and your screaming foul? Those other organizations formed for a reason back when it was their only way to get in.
    It was never right in the first place either way in current times after there was a balance.
    When society gets to the point all people can apply for tuition without any discrimination no matter what their grades where like (they will bomb out if they don’t get help or bring them up fast) then it will be news worthy. Aught to be a law everyone that wants to go gets to go or nobody does. Anyone providing tuition must be willing to give it to anyone or not be allowed to give it to anyone. That is how you end stupidity, not by he did this or they did that. Can’t change the past, only the present and the future.

25. les says:

i just read an article about “there’s nothing new on earth ” this means that the earth is self contained . this being the case , we all must be related . now where is your racism now ???

26. trey says:

I know a good number of people who couldn’t get a higher education because the money was not there… Why is it a bad thing for a minority not to be able to go to school, but its not a bad thing for a white person not to be able to? I can say I am very offended by the raciest remark made earlier of ” the lilly white courts”.. But why can a black man make those remarkes and its ok?

27. tracey watts says:

“trey

May 2, 2011 at 10:41 am ”

Trey,

Below, I will re-post a response to a similar bit of confusion about my comments.

““Jason

” 2. racist – discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion”

It is racist because it is discriminatory, based on race.”

“Trey
    You need to check your stats and apply those numbers per capita of the race. You can’t keep blaming someone else for all of a persons problems. Obama rose above it all so yes it acan be done”

To what “stats” (posted by me) are you referring? When did I blame ANYONE for ALL of another’s problems? Obama (and many others) are not the norm…

28. Reeper says:

By definition any that asks race, religion, sex, etc. is discrimination.
    People of all races and sex have those that make crude remarks, yet it never makes it right to do just because someone else does it.
    If it is ever to stop then it starts with us by making funds available to everyone without listing these and out-law all scholarships that do, again we can only change the present and future.
    None of us have been slaves or owned slaves unless we have broken our laws, yet we are all slaves to the fact we pay taxes.
    America consists of people who lived here before all others (Indians), immigrants that chose to come here and slaves forced to come here (if left in Africa they would have still been slaves there also or killed as foes). The new kind of slavery is illegal immigrants living in very poor housing and not making min. wages and no race/sex/religion has put an end to that. We cannot help what those before us have done or change it, yet we can control what happens today. I think many have found out by returning to their homelands they are happier living here instead of there unless they came here in more current times and they do want to go home when things get better in their homelands or the fights for change start.
    As someone else stated all life forms started from the same sources, thus we are all mutations from the same source no matter what race/color it ended up as.
    You are either a part of the problem or a part of the solution no matter what race/sex you are. This and other similar scholarships are part of the problem.

29. Allison says:

A white scholarship is racist? Well have they not heard of scholarships only available to mexicans and blacks, (or sorry that is apparently racist in itself yet white is not), I mean african-americans? At my school now and all 3 of my high schools, being a white woman, I can’t apply for the vast majority of scolarships available because they are race specific with, you guessed it, white being the only one discluded. So just because I am white I am being held back from a lot of opportunities… Is that not what most people are fighting for? Equal opportunity? Equal opportunity does not go ONE WAY or for ONE GROUP OF PEOPLE, hence the word equal. Scholarships should be merit based REGARDLESS!

And Tracey Watts? Wow… “The new “whites only” scholarship only serves to make the victimizer seem, somehow, like the victim.”? I don’t know how you developed your twisted logic but people who talk like you really hold our country back. And to quote you again…”let’s not hurl insults, but have an intelligent conversation”… Well, I think the people you are talking with might start when you do.

The only way to move past racism is too stop singling ourselves out and just look at the person next to you as a person, not black, white, brown… or whatever color, but as just another person on this planet. I think it may take awhile but my generation (I am 20 years old) is a generation I have high hopes for because the problems of our fathers, their fathers, etc. are becoming more and more irrelevant to us. Meanwhile, we just let the adults argue because the future is in our hands.

1. Reeper says:

Nice to see some logical young people exist and there is good hope for a better future.
      Times have changed even within my 57 years from what it was like when I was a child.
      Often things run from 1 extreme to the other (Europe’s slaughter of people to not having a death sentence now) when it comes to all kinds of problems, yet in time newer generations do take steps which will make it end up being a better society.
      Women did not have an easy time getting the right to vote and even in my time where you can get better pay there are still things to make better. How co-workers can relate to one another of opposite genders also went over board, but at least today you don’t find many in charge making a pass at you which happened to me when I started working a few times.
      I just hope I can live long enough to see the future you are striving for.

2. tracey watts says:

Allison,

I took the liberty of placing your some of quotes next to mine so that you may see that our ideals are not disparate. Other quotes by you are followed by my comments.

“Your response was rude. I don’t mind discussing anything with you, but the conversation will be respectful. Again, it IS racist. Please see the definition below:
      ” 2. racist – discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion” – Tracey

” Equal opportunity? Equal opportunity does not go ONE WAY or for ONE GROUP OF PEOPLE, hence the word equal. Scholarships should be merit based REGARDLESS! ” – Allison
      “The only way to move past racism is too stop singling ourselves out and just look at the person next to you as a person, not black, white, brown… or whatever color, but as just another person on this planet.” – Allison
      “In truth, ALL pointers to race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, etc… should be removed from ALL applications that seek “fairness”. There should be no personal interviews, no employer perusing of Facebook profiles, etc… nothing that would serve to help identify and classify a person with a particular group. Then “scholarships” could be based on “merit”. – Tracey

And Tracey Watts? Wow… “The new “whites only” scholarship only serves to make the victimizer seem, somehow, like the victim.”? – Allison

Yes. Again, it has been realized that the best way to create a more level field is through education. Slaves and freedmen were killed by whites because of the knowledge of this fact. The atrocities of our forefathers survive because we have (often unwittingly) perpetuated their prejudices. Minority scholarships were created so that we would have no need for this discussion we are currently having. I wasn’t around when the first minority scholarships were created but I speculate that they were not intended to be perpetual. I would think they would only be necessary until they served their purpose. We have not, yet, reached that time. Therefore, a “whites only” scholarship only serves (at this time) to set race relations back to a period similar to the 1960’s. I wasn’t there, but, from what I’ve heard/ read, I don’t want to be. You may have a different opinion of race relations….

“I don’t know how you developed your twisted logic but people who talk like you really hold our country back.” – Allison

“twisted logic”? Please explain. “hold our country back”? I’m probably one of the more unapologetically progressive thinkers on this blog… And that statement was meant as a slight to no one.

“And to quote you again…”let’s not hurl insults, but have an intelligent conversation”… Well, I think the people you are talking with might start when you do. ” – Allison

Your comments mirrored mine. Do you still see my conversation as less than intelligent?

“I think it may take awhile but my generation (I am 20 years old) is a generation I have high hopes for because the problems of our fathers, their fathers, etc. are becoming more and more irrelevant to us. Meanwhile, we just let the adults argue because the future is in our hands.” – Allison

I agree with what I think is the intent of this quote. We are not there, yet.

30. darrell says:

scholarships for minority blacks and hispanics were designed to afford low income minorities the opportunity for higher education. the key term in that sentence is “low income”. these have been very successful and have broadly expanded over the years. while on the other hand, “low income” whites have been denied this special class of scholarships and thus have been denied equal opportunity for access to higher education.
    therefore if one is racist, all are racist. its a matter of economics.

also, just as a matter of historical fact since the subject came up. the first slaves in america were white. the first black slaves in the colonies arrived in virgina in 1619. whites came over from europe with the colonists. some served as indentured slaves for 5 to 7 years, others were for life as well as their families and served in full slavery. whites were phased out of slavery when black slaves became available because of the cost.

Comments are closed.