Ashton Kutcher Lands ‘Two And A Half Men’ Role

NEW YORK (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – It’s official – the hit television comedy “Two and a Half Men” is replacing troubled star Charlie Sheen with Ashton Kutcher.

“Ashton is a pop culture triple threat—film star, cutting-edge producer and a social media pioneer,” said Nina Tassler, President, CBS Entertainment. “He brings creativity, energy and personality to everything he touches.

Producer Warner Bros., which makes the series for CBS, said Friday it had signed the comic actor for next season. The deal apparently came together quickly, following reports that negotiations with film actor Hugh Grant for the role had fallen through.

Warner cut short the show’s eighth season and fired Sheen two months following his public implosion through hard partying and angry criticism of show creator Chuck Lorre.

“I can’t wait to get to work with this ridiculously talented 2.5 team and I believe we can fill the stage with laughter that will echo in viewers’ homes,” said Kutcher. “I can’t replace Charlie Sheen but I’m going to work my ass off to entertain the hell out of people!”

Kutcher is familiar to television audiences through his role on Fox’s “That 70s Show,” film roles like the romantic comedy “No Strings Attached” with Natalie Portman and production of shows like MTV’s “Punk’d.”

(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. C Bauer says:

I’ll tell you who’s NOT winning – the viewer. Ashton “I’m A Total Tool” Kutcher? Really? REALLY?! Hey, CBS, why didn’t you ask Tom Green while you were at it, since you want to alienate your audience? Ashton Kutcher? REALLY? Count me out.

2. The Ents says:

He was funny in “Dude Where’s My Car?” and “That 70’s Show”, and that’s it. Now he’s just an obnoxious d-uche nozzle. Done! Not watching.

3. whitneymuse says:

Who would want Charlie Sheen’s inevitable critique in the background?

1. The Ents says:

His critique will be deafened by everyone else’s.

4. Coretta says:

Can’t wait to see the show…

5. Mimi says:

I think they should have let the show die a peaceful death. I won’t watch it anymore.

1. Whitney Muse says:

Mimi,
      I’ll watch once, but if it doesn’t work…bye bey.

6. Elmer says:

Kutcher is a “girly-man”.

7. Frederick Larrabee says:

I wonder how much Demi had to “negotiate” with certain producers to get this done?

8. Keeping it real says:

If this show makes it for one season I will be amazed. If it does, expect Demi to be the mommie in the second season.

9. not really! says:

2.5.2 men? The show was great for years, but now it’s over! All good things must end. Time for the writers, advertisers and viewers to move on…

1. That's news says:

I heard from a friend in el Lay that Tommy Chong turned the role down first, gotta be a sign they were seriously trying to keep the money guys contributing.

10. Whitney Muse says:

What is sad, this means they’ll probably pull the re-runs from FOX and FX at pre-prime hours.

11. Carrizales-Mendez Lydia says:

I will NOT watch the show because Charlie is the best. Ashton can NOT act-he never could and how he got into show business one will never know. So if Charlie is not going to be on the show then I definately will NOT watch it. I will miss you Charlie😦

12. Russ says:

I am not a fan of Kutcher at all. I think they should have just ended the show since it just won’t be the same.

13. Patty says:

Kutcher is a boy who can’t act & Charlie is a man that can!! One fan lost.

14. Tim says:

The show has been finished for sometime. The story lines were getting worse as the show went on. Allen was getting cheaper and cheaper and becoming a bigger idiot. It just wasnt making sense anymore. They should just end it. I usef to love and was actual hoping it would end. How can anybody say Ashton kutchet eill be great fir the show? We dont even know what part he plays and how he enters the scene and charlie disappears. I will watch pne show judt to ser how they transition it. Charlie isnt winning and neither is this show by continuing.

15. mark says: