Arlington Tree Cut Down In Favor Of Dallas Cowboys Sign

ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – A tree preservation group is outraged over a new Dallas Cowboys digital sign in Arlington.

The 54×20 foot sign went up along southbound Highway 360, but a large tree blocked part of the view.

The ‘importance’ of the sign won and the tree was cut down.

Janette Monear, the executive director of the Texas Trees Foundation, says losing a large tree like that is disheartening. “It is a mature tree and it looks like it’s probably 75 years old or older,” she said.

According to Monear, there are often a number of options that can save older trees from destruction. “A lot of times there is very good solutions to that in corrective pruning so you don’t have to take the whole thing out.”

A Dallas Cowboys spokesman says they have a mitigation plan in place that will either replace the decades old plant with other trees or contribute to an Arlington tree fund.

Comments

1. YRofTexas says:

I always get P-O’d when “progress” destroys something that God made.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah…blah blah blah Jerry Jones can plant some new trees.

Thats not the point!

I can NOT tolerate what I call as “Visual Pollution”.

There seems to be limited respect for the beautiful legacy of a majestic tree!

2. Gwen says:

It should have been preserved.

3. LeEura says:

They are killing the trees.

4. Glenn says:

We talk about the air quality in DFW…but everyone cuts trees down at the drop of a hat–developers, TXU, or Cowboys. Its a wonder we have oxygen at all.

5. Texas Technoman says:

So, the cowboys need a billboard to advertise…like maybe someone in this state has not heard of them? Even if we wanted to go to a game, who could afford it!

1. YRofTexas says:

GOOD POINT, or should I say….TOUCHDOWN comment!!!

6. oldman says:

and who says MONEY doesn’t rule this society-just another example-what a loser we have in this society

1. Gayle Harris says:

And Jerry Jones strikes again. I have no respect for the man at all – and have not watched a game since he fired Coach Landry. Just another example of his complete egocentric personality.

1. YRofTexas says:

Hey, Gayle!
        It’s nice to know that I’m not the only person who has held Jerry in low esteem since he fired ole Tom! Jerry is the epidomy of self-absorbed lunacy! I watch, but my heart was with Tom and the boys…not Jerry and his toy-boy spoiled-brat Tony the Roma…

2. Rob Long says:

Gayle,

Its a Tree, we have more trees in the US now than we did in the 30s. Forests have been replanted and replinished. This was 1 tree. A windstorm could have blown it over, then who would have cared? Nobody. Its 1 tree. If you want something from Jerry, just ask him to go plant another 10 somewhere and see that they are left to grow until their natural demise. Dont be so 1 sided or holier than thou on this. God made the earth for man to use, not to be dominated by it. Americans take better care of the enviroment now than they did in the 70s and we constantly work to be greener. Dont let nature rule us, we are still the humans.

2. Rob Long says:

Were you trying to be profound or were you fighting a compulsion to come online and post something? Of course society is ruled by money, but you like having it when you do, dont you? Jerry has it and he’s given you a very entertaining football team to watch and cheer for. Be thankful, it could be worse. You could live in Houston.

7. ILR1950 says:

Why the hell didnt some idiot notice the tree when they were putting up the stuipid sign? But people were run out of their homes, people were robbed of their homes, they were robbed of their property, just so that disgusting obscenity football stadium could be built. Every game makes life for the people who live close to the stadium an absolute nightmare They dont dive a damn about people or trees. They care about the money which goes to a very tiny percentage of the people in Arlington.

1. YRofTexas says:

Oh OH OOOOHHHH !
      You are so on the mark!
      Yes, Jerry with his “eminent domain”, kicking those home-owners off their land, destroying trees, homes & memories…all for WHAT? So that Jerry can build his little dream machine, live his fantacy…
      And didn’t some cities also SUBSIDIZE this rich moron?
      Sometimes, I just want to just throw up. He makes me SICK.

1. Rob Long says:

Arlington has lower taxes and better schools because of him. Just like they do because the Rangers are there. Did you see the homes he took from eminent domain? Obviously not. I used to live about 3 miles down the road, and honestly, im thankful the neighborhood has improved with Jerry there. Arlington is prospering because of it. Children are getting better teachers and better education in that city because of it. You can be short-sighted and ignorant, or you can do some research and expand your factual basis. Dallas, that mayor, she was an idiot. That city could be catching this windfall, but no, ignorance failed that city as well.

2. Rob Long says:

3. ilr1950 says:

RobLong NOTHING about Arlington is ‘better’ because of Jerry Jones. I HAVE done research and know how absurd and ridiculous and how ignorant your assertions are. There is no ‘windfall’ involved except for a rare few individuals who were already rich to begin with. Trying to pretend that the football stadium is an ‘improvement’ for all of Arlington is laughable absurd and more than a little ridiculous.

8. Rick McDaniel says:

That’s the power of stupidity………the stupidity of humans putting ball games ahead of the environment.

Precisely why pro sports should be done away with. Too much waste of resources, all the way around. Really glad that the NFL is in lockout.

1. YRofTexas says:

Well, Rick McDaniel, I would not go so far as to eliminate sports. It does have its purpose (distraction from boredom, let out energy, community involvement, income/tax source for cities, etc.).

I thought it so, until I heard an editorial from Brad Sham back in the mid 1980’s.

As far as the price charged, the fans who are members need to set limits that they will pay; sponsors back off…there are ways to help the commoner such as myself, be able to afford going to a game. At this point, I will never live to see the day I’ll every see a professional football game. It’s ok. Thanks to TV & cable!

9. DD says:

Well, I can not imagine why the COwboys signe is more important than a tree of this age! I am sure, mr smartie patns, Jones, could have figured out something beneficial to both……He is an ego driven nut. I like him less and less…..

1. YRofTexas says:

DD – I’ve NEVER liked the man! LOL
      You’re ahead of me on that one!

10. Kay says:

What? You can’t find the stadium? Got a better one…..I could not stand Jerry since he got off the plane!

1. YRofTexas says:

What plane?
      I thought he arrived by broomstick!

11. Schroeder says:

Being complete jerks comes so naturally to the Jones family that it’s members don’t know they are not normal. If they were forced to go through one day acting only in a humane and decent manner they would be paralyzed because they would have to stop every time it was pointed out that what they were about to do did not qualify as humane or decent. Psychopaths like the Joneses rule everywhere. They do whatever they want whenever they want and never suffer any negative consequences.

1. YRofTexas says:

Not so fast…even the wealthy have their skeletons, their burdens, ill health and pass away like us all.
      The only difference is that their Orbits are written up as “news” with no charge to the family…
      And us po’ folk have to cough up $700 for an orbit in the Dallas Morning News!

PS – I love to watch shows about the murders & scandles of the wealthy on RealTV! Its the great “equalizer” !

1. Cassandra says:

Schroeder didn’t say anything about “the wealthy.” It is interesting that when you see “psychopath,” you think “wealthy.” People who aren’t wealthy can be psychopaths and jerks. I’ve had more than a few bosses, rulers in the context of work, over the decades who qualified.

12. DH says:

Hoping an F5 tornado will come along, rip that sign up and drop it on JJ’s house!

1. Heather says:

That or take out the stadium without touching the nearby houses as a tornado is wont to do at times.

13. darrell says:

Jerry Jones, who convinced the leadership of Arlington that its taxpayers needed to build him a new stadium isnt going to let a single living organism stand in the way of promoting anything he wants to do. It wouldnt have surpised me if the mayor of Arlington himself personally went out with a chain saw and cut it down while the city council chopped it up and ground it into mulch for Jone’s flower beds.

the tree never had a chance for any alternate plan to work. and we will never see this so called “mitigation plan”.

14. Todd says:

I hate these type of people but they could have moved the tree instead of cutting it down

15. The Wind says:

Why couldn’t they move the sign?…or would someone have to grow some cojones and say no to Jerry?

16. dave scott says:

RULES
    rules are for the people of arlington and CLUCK has another set for his pets

17. jerry says:

Who said money do not grow on tree? The Jone Family motto.

18. Mike G. says:

honestly, do the cowboys REALLY need a sign or advertising???

19. Captainodg says:

Holy cow! I like to read comments after news articles to broaden my knowledge of issues and to help gauge the feelings and thoughts of others. I have NEVER seen this kind of vitriol outside of discussions on how certain murderers and pedophiles should be punished. While I am not from Texas, I felt compelled to send an email to the Cowboys-maybe someone from that organization will read your comments and force a change, although from the general opinion in the comments, I doubt it will happen. I am so sorry that once again we see short-sighted, money grubbing elitists destroying whatever part of the world they can.

20. cynthia says:

Just another reason to dislike the Cowboys. If ever a franchise had a belief they are above the rules and considerations of ‘the little people’, its the Dallas Cowboys.

21. angrycandy says:

At first when I read this article, I was spellbound at the sheer sterilization and parochial arrogance of Jones and his supporters.

Then,,I realized, after all,,this is texas.

22. Jim Luna says:

Some day the Cowboys will be cut down just as that tree and it won’t be 75 years from now. Jerry Jones proved that any idiot can own an NFL Franchise but “only God can make a tree.”

Comments are closed.