How Easy Is It For Teens To Get Drugs?

By Jack Fink, CBS 11 News

FLOWER MOUND (CBSDFW.COM) – It’s a sobering message for parents to hear when teenagers talk about their access to drugs. “It’s a huge problem,” said 17-year-old Brigit Manz of Flower Mound, who points out just how easily North Texas teens can get illegal drugs. “It’s everywhere. It’s right down the street. You can do it in 45 minutes. You can go down to your neighbor’s, you make four to five phone calls, and he knows this girl who knows this guy who knows her cousin who knows her brother that has it.”

Manz even explained that drugs are often exchanged at school, in between classes. She said, “You call someone that night and say, ‘I want this. Can you bring it to school tomorrow?’ And they do. And you see them in the hallway and you can exchange it like that.”

Regina Deloach-Bennett is a coordinator of safe and drug-free schools for the Lewisville Independent School District. “Absolutely mind-boggling,” she said about this trend, but adding that she had heard of drug exchanges at the schools before. “One of the things we did this year on a more aggressive level was to have student meetings, so students can share their concerns on what they see on the campuses.”

But homes and schools are not the only problem areas. Manz and other students said that youngsters will also party with drugs in cheap motel rooms along Interstate-35E. “That was a very normal occurrence, because all of the kids your parents didn’t want you to hang out with, that can’t come to the house, you can be with,” Manz said.

Earlier this week, federal prosecutors announced that 17 people — most of them between the ages of 18 and 20 — were indicted for their roles in a heroin ring based out of Flower Mound. (Click here to read more about the arrests.) The defendants did not speak to reporters on their way out of court.

But Kathy O’Keefe had something to say. She lost her son, Brett, last year after a heroin overdose. He was one of three Flower Mound teens to die from a heroin overdose, kick-starting a Drug Enforcement Administration investigation. “Flower Mound is a nice town,” O’Keefe said. “Everyone’s got their problems, but you can’t keep covering them up. You have to address them.”

According to records, between 2007 and 2010, more than 100 people ages 21 and younger died from drug overdoses in Tarrant County, Denton County and Collin County. (CBS 11 News requested statistics for Dallas County, but has not yet received that information.)

James Capra is a special agent in charge of the DEA in Dallas. Capra said that, normally, his agency only investigates national and international drug rings. But in the case of Flower Mound, the DEA made an exception. “We don’t typically do this type of investigation, but it warrants it,” he said. “When we were looking at it, it was like… this is incredible.”

According to Capra, teenagers often start down the wrong path by smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol. But then, those teens will experiment with painkillers, ecstasy and heroin — all of which are highly addictive. It is a series of bad choices that can end in tragedy. “We’re hearing from some of these men and women that it’s too costly. It’s too costly to go buy oxycontin or oxycodone. It costs them too much,” Capra said. “So, they went back to heroin, where they get a dime bag of heroin for $10.”

Some parents in Flower Mound have started a group called ‘Winning the Fight’ to help youngsters and parents battle the city’s drug problem. “The strength he’s given me carries that on,” said O’Keefe, talking about her late son.

Meanwhile, Manz is now being home-schooled in order to avoid the Flower Mound drug problem. “I can’t go back and take anything back,” she said. “But at this point, I can go forward and help other kids.”

Comments

1. Jason says:

Another fear based bs article. A good connection is hard to find these days

2. C Bauer says:

I went to NYC for a week with my high school class during the Thanksgiving break in 1985, and I was approached to buy joints from dealers THREE DIFFERENT TIMES and coke FOUR DIFFERENT TIMES walking from Times Square back to the hotel. I’m pretty sure the ease for teens to acquire illicit drugs hasn’t changed over the years.

1. Tony Panozzo, A Greaseball Italian says:

Well, the challenge has been issued clearly by C Bauer. Is Jerry going to MAN UP? Of course not. By the way, Jerry The Fairy, I think C Bauer would last way longer in NYC than you would. You’re a little troll and if you said that about the Bergin Hunt and Fish Club to ANYONE on Rockaway Blvd., you’d be the next meal for the crabs in the East River.

3. Sam says:

Jason, hit up C Bauer for directions to the people trying to connect him. Better yet, just go to NYC. Best – don’t come back.

4. fred says:

does not matter what you do..they even get drugs in the big house. Instead of taking a percieved problem off the streets, how about parents do a better job of sharing lifes roads with their children… so they can make the right decsion…NOT follow your decsions

5. John Chakarian says:

Dont bad mouth New York,you have more than your share of drugs and crime right here in Dallas.

6. John Chakarian says:

All you people who talk non sense about New York and the northeast make me laugh very hard lol!

7. C Bauer says:

Some of you posters have got to be the biggest drooling mongoloids I’ve ever witnessed. My commentary wasn’t about NEW YORK or the East Coast – it was about how easy it was to get drugs in 1985 (John Chakarian). Second, I never took anyone up on their offers, and believe it or not, I’ve never bought or used illegal drugs (Sam).

1. Jerry Bradshaw says:

1. C Bauer says:

What’s your problem, a-hole? I was explaining how I wasn’t singling out New York, in case you didn’t read that post. Are you even literate? Hey, my Friday is free. Let’s meet somewhere and CHAT. You suggest the place. I’m in the DFW area, if you have any stugotz.

2. Jerry Bradshaw says:

Im in south Dallas near fair park so anytime you want to come to the southside at night for a’chat’let me know coward.

3. C Bauer says:

I’ve got to hit the road for a couple of hours, so when I get back, I’ll expect your reply to include a description better than “the knuckle-dragging half-wit in saggy pants getting off the DART bus”. Looking forward to talking with you!

4. Tony Panozzo says:

Jerry, you gonna have coffee with this guy or what? I don’t see any plans on meeting him for dialogue at his suggested venues.

5. Frederick Larrabee says:

Well, I think we can safely tell who the REAL coward here is, right, Fairy Jerry?

2. C Bauer says:

I live west of Dallas, so let’s meet closer to where you are, but in less of a sh-thole. How about uptown Dallas? There’s an Albertson’s at McKinney and Lemmon. If it’s still not there, I’m sure the parking lot is. I’ll be standing outside my car, wearing a blue ball cap, jeans, and an olive drab T-shirt. Or, if you’re not familiar with that place, I think there’s a big Starbucks near there on Cole Ave. Your choice. Noon good for you? I’d love the chance for us to air our differences.

1. C Bauer says:

2. Tony Panozzo says:

3. Frederick Larrabee says:

Well, I think we can safely tell who the REAL coward here is, right, Jerry The Fairy?

4. Jerry Bradshaw says:

Come to my neck of the woods coward so the police wont be there to save you.

5. Jerry Bradshaw says:

Frederick Larrabee=another gay man from dallas.Hey frederick tell your mother she better have my money right when I go to see her tonight!

6. C Bauer says:

HAHAHA, Jerry. YOU are the PU$$Y in question here. Fine. Let’s meet in YOUR neck of the woods. Where?

7. C Bauer says:

OK. Jerry, this is getting really gay (YOU’RE making it gay). Either put up or shut up. Here’s what I’ve done already, and you better do the same, or STFU and go away:

1) AN EXACT LOCATION TO MEET. Again, I’ve already volunteered a couple of places, you have not.

2) A general description of what you look like, so I don’t talk to the wrong person. Again, I’ve done that as well.

3) A TIME. I have done that as well.

Here’s my picture of Jerry:

Jerry is either a bored, dumb, stoned-out Whigger (by the way, Whiggers were cool for about 5 minutes after Ice, Ice, Baby debuted). He’s livin’ the gangsta life in the southside (south Plano), and has a lot of girlfriends, unfortunately, we can’t see them because the pages of his magazines are stuck together.

OR

Jerry is a drunk, middle-aged white guy who is trying to relive his youth and be a Whigger, not knowing being one is totally gay. He’s divorced or married to a fat sow, and he hates his fuc-ing life. He also has the same girlfriends.

Put up or shut up, Jerry, and prove me wrong.

8. Tony Panozzo says:

Bauer, you’ll never get a real challenge from this “guy”. He’s probably too busy getting his nails done or picking up his ballet uniform. Don’t even reply to this total poser anymore. It’s a waste of time. Jerry is obviously a total girlie-man.

9. Frederick Larrabee says:

I agree. Just look at some of the words and phrases Jerry The Fairy used – “OMG”, “neck of the woods”, and “puke”. When’s the last time you heard a guy from south Dallas use those? Never. Jerry’s a total fraud. PLUS, he still has not shown the cajones to say specifically when and where they should meet, even after many efforts by Bauer, INCLUDING Bauer’s own suggestions. Yep, Jerry’s a BIG PANSY. Let’s all ignore Jerry, the walking, talking MANGINA.

10. C Bauer says:

Well, Big Jere, looks like we’ve seen who the winner is and who the WIENER is.

Let me leave you with your own words, which have come back to humiliate you: “C Bauer your very brave over the internet but a coward in the real world Im willing to bet so talk big tough guy talk big.”

Some advice for you: don’t start something you can’t finish… COWARD.

3. C Bauer says:

Jerry, in case you missed the post below, let me move it up a bit.

1. C Bauer says:

I don’t know what the hell is wrong with the reply feature. It was supposed to post right under the last comment. Surely, he’s reading these invitations regardless.

2. Jerry Bradshaw says:

I see you want me to come to your side of the city in the day time so you can have the police there or save you?Come to the southside brave man or shut up.

3. C Bauer says:

How am I supposed to show up in “THE SOUTHSIDE” without an EXACT LOCATION, DUMBA$$? I gave YOU two locations. Where’s your location suggestion? F-ggot.

4. C Bauer says:

3) A TIME. I have done that as well.

Here’s my picture of Jerry:

OR

Put up or shut up, Jerry. Prove me wrong.

5. Tony Panozzo says:

6. Frederick Larrabee says:

I agree. Just look at some of the words and phrases Jerry The Fairy used – “OMG”, “neck of the woods”, and “puke”. REALLY?! When’s the last time you heard a guy from south Dallas use those? Never. Jerry’s a total fraud. PLUS, he still has not shown the cajones to say specifically when and where they should meet, even after many efforts by Bauer, INCLUDING Bauer’s own suggestions. Yep, Jerry’s a BIG PANSY. Let’s all ignore this big huge MANGINA.

7. C Bauer says:

Well, Big Jere, looks like we’ve seen who the winner is and who the WIENER is.

Some advice: don’t start something you can’t finish… COWARD.

8. Yo Mama says:

I guess maybe it’s time to restrict the access to the Police Property Room. These cops are way over pricing the drugs anyway.

9. Green Tara says:

Someone should ask how easy is it to launder the maney made in flower mound from selling heroin to kids. An accountant brought down Al Capone.

1. Frederick Larrabee says:

What’s MANEY, you hayseed?

1. Green Tara says:

That was a typo. It should have read money ,but you knew that you evil hick. My meaning was clear even to you . Which begs the why do you not want the money trail not followed. Don’t answer I don’t care.

May you be kept very far away from that which you refer to as seeds(good people) for the rest of your life.

10. Frederick Larrabee says:

I agree. Just look at some of the words and phrases Jerry The Fairy used – “OMG”, “neck of the woods”, and “puke”. When’s the last time you heard a guy from south Dallas use those? Never. Jerry’s a total fraud. PLUS, he still has not shown the cajones to say specifically when and where they should meet, even after many efforts by Bauer, INCLUDING Bauer’s own suggestions. Yep, Jerry’s a BIG PANSY. Let’s all ignore this big huge MANGINA.

Comments are closed.