NFL: Dallas Cowboys football on 105.3 The Fan | CHI vs DAL Preview | Dallas Cowboys News | NFL Scoreboard | NFL Power Rankings | Live Pregame on 105.3 The Fan | FOOTBALL CONTESTS: Pro Football Challenge | Knockout Pool | *Listen to Texas Rangers on 1080 KRLD

Teen Receives 25 Years In Smothering Incident

FORT WORTH (AP) – A Waco teenager has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for trying to smother her infant son at a Fort Worth Hospital.

A Tarrant County jury deliberated more than three hours Friday before sentencing 18-year-old Shantaniqua Nykole Scott. The same panel deliberated about 30 minutes Thursday before finding Scott guilty of injury to child/serious bodily injury.

She was accused of trying to smother the 4-month-old by pressing a blanket and then her hand over his face while he was hospitalized at Cook Children’s Medical Center last summer.

The child is now in foster care after emergency personnel rushed in and revived him. Scott told a police detective that the stress of raising a baby was too much.

She had faced a maximum sentence of life in prison but was also eligible for probation.

Comments

1. sheila scruggs says:

she should gotten life sentence. if she didnt wanted the baby. she should being taking birth control. caught myself screamed at tha tv . she need life lfe hope somebody smotherd her.

1. 2sister says:

She could have given the baby up for adoption. What she did was sick, sad, selfish, and wrong. It isn’t right, however, to hope someone smothers her. I agree, however, that 25 seems kind of light. I hope the baby has no permanent problems as a result of what she did.

1. darrell says:

2sister, your telling me its ok when this woman gets out on parole in 12 years, has another child and abuses it, that its ok?
        in 12 years, after spending 40% of her life in prison she only knows this.
        who is in control, and who is not in control.
        the only time in her life that “she” was in control was when she had a small child and we know how that turned out. its human nature to need to control people, things, events. as a parolee her ability to exercise control will be very limited. except for a small child.

2. 2sister says:

darrell, where in my comment did I say what she did was okay? Of course, I don’t think it’s okay. I never even implied that.

2. Nina says:

She is a teenager for god sakes! How can we take away woman’s choice than leave them all alone when it is so hard while her hormones rage and she is sleep deprived and all alone in a such a mess. 25 years in prison is not going to fix it. Besides she didn’t even killed the baby, thank GOD. Give her another chance on life. I am appalled by the cruelty and judgement of the society. Have compassion and help those in need!

1. 2sister says:

I agree that we should have compassion, but compassion doesn’t mean condoning what she did. Also, I realize the baby wasn’t killed, but he could have brain damage that has yet to be detected. Sometimes, things like learning disabilities and other disabilities aren’t noticed right away. In fact, some might not even be noticed until a child starts to school.. I hope she is helped and changes her life around, but again I can’t condone what she did.

2. Heather says:

There is no compassion to give for someone that tried to take a life that hasn’t been lived yet. The baby was in the care of Childrens medical, if she didn’t want the child, she could have said so. It appalling to see people feel sorry for her own actions!

1. 2sister says:

Compassion doesn’t mean condoning what she did. It means caring and having agape love for a person. I don’t feel sorry for her actions. I feel sad that she decided to live this kind of life. I think she deserves the prison sentence, and that nothing excuses what she did. I hope she changes her life around, and repents of what she did. I feel sad for what this baby had to go through, and hope he has no lasting affects from the abuse.2

3. u dumb says:

Uhh hello? Anyone home?? If the doctors hadn’t rushed in the baby WOULD be dead. The only thing that stopped her from killing the baby was the doctors.

1. u dumb says:

This girl deserves everything that is coming to her.

2. 2sister says:

I don’t know which comments you are referring to, but I agree that the pay would probably be dead if she hadn’t been caught by the doctor. The baby could still have some problems as a result of what she did. It’s kind of hard to say if he might have some learning problems caused by lack of oxygen. Sometimes things like that aren’t noticed for some time.

3. viola marie says:

im a 30 yr old woman who desperatly wanted kids but could not have them when i found out i couldnt due to cancer and i tried for years with my husband who is still with me and loves me no matter what happened….and coming to read this story it makes me very angry and upset to know how a mother could do that to her baby when there are people who cant have kids and want them…i say if u dont want them give them to someone who does….they are angels of life….dont be stupid do the right thing…..some peolpe got punished and some got blessed….lets do the right thing if you are pregnant talk to someone like in church they can help you find good parents for your angel….love a message from someone who loves kids but couldnt have them….

4. darrell says:

some people should not be allowed to reproduce. she should also have been sterilized.

1. 2sister says:

That would be a dangerous precedent, and is why it should not be done.

By the way, I don’t agree with what this woman did.

1. Alicia says:

But this young woman has proved she cannot take the stresses of motherhood, to the point that she tried to murder her baby.

Rather than 8 years or whatever portion of her sentence she serves, I would think that giving her the option of 3 to 5 years in prison and tying her tubes would be a reasonable approach.

2. darrell says:

2sister, the comment i made in question should have fallen under this “reply” not the one it ended up on by my mistake. here is that comment reposted;

in 12 years, after spending 40% of her life in prison she only knows this.
        who is in control, and who is not in control.

3. 2sister says:

darrell, I never said that what she did was okay. I don’t think she needs to have another child unless she repents and changes her life around. I don’t, however, think sterilization should be performed on people like her. Anyway, the U. S. Supreme court says that you can’t perform compulsory sterilization on inmates, and so it’s not going to happen unless she decides to do that voluntarily.

Our country used to practice such things, and they didn’t just use it on criminals. They practiced Eugenics. After World War II, this started changing.

5. Alexander Perry says:

Good she deserves t be locked up behind concrete and steel! If it was so hard to raise a child properly for this “child” then she should have thought about that before conducting an adult act. People like this is why the world is going down the drain. This world of instant gratification is teaching society nothing about responsibility. A person choice has consequences good and bad. Thank you to our justice system for not applying a band-aid to this issue and making a statement about responsibility and showing society that there are consequences in life. Please continue to publicize these types of stories and maybe just maybe this will help one person think before they act.

6. upchkn says:

So, she would have been legally responsible for this baby for 18 years…let’s waterboard the sow every year on the child’s birthday. Just so HE’S glad she’s not a part of his life!

7. VinGee says:

Wow, 25 years huh? Thats insane. Looks like the kid will have plenty of time to think about it.

1. 2sister says:

Why is it insane? She could have killed the baby, and he still could have brain damage as a result. Some kinds of brain damage are not known or discovered for some time.

8. coretta says:

this is really sad, were was the help for it is terrible that she thought that this was was the only was out.

9. diminished capacity says:

The infant was probably being physically abused at home from the mom’s stress. She could’ve just as easily killed the baby there. But when the “opportunity” presented itself, for the baby to die while in hospital care – the mom saw dollar sign$ from a lawsuit. It’s all about money folks. There’s the Haves & the Have Nots. And the Have Nots are coming after yours.

1. u dumb says:

Yep, agreed. This is one messed up chick,

2. 2sister says:

Maybe, maybe not. She might have thought that if the baby died at the hospital that no one would suspect her and would think he just died from an illness. Anyway, it’s a very sad situation. I hope the baby has no lasting effects of the abuse.

10. lisa says:

bless the baby an 4 her she need all the pray she can get cause u dont do bad by a child of god she a child of god an how she did what she did thats not 4 me to know god is who she need to talk to for giving an god bless her an my pray go out 2 her an the baby

11. Donna says:

Why do we not have any compassion for anything anymore in our society? This poor infant was placed on this earth for a special reason. Just hope he will be okay. Mom was too young to begin with. Why nobody talked to her about birth control is beyond my understanding? What about safe sex? HIV preventation? If she would have been practicing safe sex to begin with, none of this would have ever happen.

Comments are closed.