More Than 10,000 Attend 17th Annual Dallas Comic Con

By Selena Hernandez, CBS 11 News

IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) – It’s a bird! It’s a plane!

Wait, it’s just thousands of Dallas Comic Con attendees who busted out their capes and masks and briefly became their famed comic book heroes Sunday.

The 17th annual convention drew more than 10,000 people. Event organizers say Comic Con has grown so much over the years they had to move into the new Irving Convention Center.

“There’s a lot of people that are here from all different kinds of backgrounds,” attendee Chad Elijah said.

Welcome to Comic Con – a playground for collectors, enthusiasts and even the comic curious.

“I’ve been into Batman for years so I go to about six to seven conventions a year it’s just for the fun – to meet all the comic creators spend all of my money,” Desiree Preston said.

Comic heroes from the strip and set were also on hand.

“I was Miguel in episode four of ‘The Walking Dead.’ They traded me for a bag of guns after I was screaming, trying to fight off the character ‘Darly,'” actor Anthony Guajardo said.

But by far the biggest appeal and draw of Comic Con is the opportunity to meet comic icons like Stan Lee – the mastermind of Marvel Comics and notable illustrator John Romita, Jr.

“What happens is when I’m doing a certain page, or even a certain panel – it triggers a memory of what was going on at a certain time – so every time I see a comic, it brings back a memory of that certain time- absolutely,” Romita said as he signed copies of his books.

Comic Con allows participants to embrace their inner comic hero. And for many attendees, even after all this time, these books prove quite entertaining.

“It brings about certain morals and ethics people have. They may not be able to give them in their own lives they can at least live vicariously thru a comic book hero,” attendee Thomas James said.

Leonard Nimoy, of Star Trek, and Princess Leia herself, Carrie Fisher, were both at this year’s Comic Con. They signed autographs and met with fans.

“It’s indescribable – when you see all these people about work you’ve done over the years – you feel very grateful. It’s just a warm, wonderful feeling – it really is,” Lee said. “I never dreamed comics would be that important to people – – but they’ve touched a lot of people and I’m delighted.”

1. CB says:

GD, that’s a lot of socially-inept nerds.

1. ryan says:

…says the guy obviously curious enough about it to read the whole thing then reply…

2. Outspoken says:

What a bunch of nerds

1. ryan says:

I’d rather be a nerd than an @ss that judges people by something they enjoy. Stan Lee changed the world for the better….what have you done lately besides post comments on a message board?

3. Troy Brakefield says:

Need to correct the broadcast version of the story to say John Romita Jr. instead of John Romita (stated by the reporter and in the graphic under Romita Jr.’s face when he was on interviewed on camera). As one would expect, John Romita is Jr.’s father and a former illustrator (and art director) at Marvel.

You also might want to check the tape as the fan dressed as a Green Lantern was identified as Thomas Jane. In the text above, it states he is Thomas James, which I find more likely. Thomas Jane, the actor, portrayed the Marvel Comics character the Punisher is a recent movie.

In the text of the story above, it states that Lee was the founder of Marvel Comics. A quick check of any comics history book (or the wikipedia entry for Lee or Marvel Comics) will let you know this is incorrect. Lee began working at Marvel Comics’ legacy company Timely Comics as a teen under its founder Martin Goodman.

I get that the annual comic con story is a feature reserved for the “B-list” reporters and they probably didn’t want to be there, but I still expect accuracy, fact checking and a bit o’ research.

1. DropD says:

You’re 45 and live in your mom’s basement don’t you?

2. Alexander Burns says:

“Also, if the reporter is going to hold up a comic as an example of good reading, perhaps she could’ve held up one a bit more historic/popular than a G.I. Joe spin-off comic worth little.”

Nonsense. Those Joe comics in the ’80s were solid, and got a lot more people into comics than you probably think.

4. Rick Davis says:

What happened to Scott Sams

5. coretta says:

looks like fun.

6. Rev Kicks says:

It’s a little disturbing to me that you would show PEDOBEAR at the end of the clip. even more disturbing is the people taking their pictures with him!

7. Mark Walters says:

The Dallas Comic Con was actually started in 2002, held once in that year, then twice almost every year following, so “17th Annual” isn’t correct… sad to say. We’re very excited about next year being our 10-year anniversary.

Mark Walters