FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A police standoff at a home in northwest Tarrant County ended Wednesday morning after authorities entered the home and found the suspect dead. This incident started at around 10:00 p.m. Tuesday night in the 7800 block of Slay Drive in Fort Worth, located near Eagle Mountain Lake.

According to law enforcement officials on the scene, the standoff began when the armed suspect rammed his truck into a neighboring home. When police officers responded, the suspect opened fire with at least a dozen shots.

One of the shots struck a police vehicle, but nobody was injured during the gunfire. There were also people inside of the home when the truck crashed into it, but they too were not harmed during this incident.

“All I know is, I was sitting on the couch watching TV and I heard a big boom,” said Kevin Gerrish, who was inside of the home where the suspect’s truck crashed. “I thought it was thunder because there was lightning in the sky. I kept on hearing a motor run, so I came out and, all I know is, I got an F-250 truck parked in my house. If my kids had been home, they’d be dead.”

The suspect fled to a nearby house – where the truck is registered – and stayed inside of there for hours without any contact with the police officers outside. Authorities acted very cautiously, since the suspect had already opened fire. Police evacuated several homes in the area and monitored the suspect overnight.

At one point during the overnight standoff, the suspect’s mother exited the home to get a few medical supplies for treating her son’s wounds, suffered in the initial crash.

Finally, early Wednesday morning, police officers entered the house and discovered that the 32-year-old suspect had shot and killed himself. Police officers are still working on the scene, but with the suspect dead, it is possible that nobody will ever know his motives for the late night shootout.

More From CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Drip Pan: CBS Local App
Drip Pan: Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE