Dallas Police Officer Fired, Charged With Stealing Driver’s Gun

DALLAS (AP) – A Dallas police officer has been fired and charged with theft and evidence tampering after investigators accused him of keeping a handgun confiscated from a motorist during a traffic stop.

A Dallas police department statement says Officer Lavar Horne searched the car during an April 28 traffic stop and seized the gun and marijuana. Internal affairs investigators say he discarded the marijuana at the end of his shift and placed the gun in his personal bag.

He was fired and booked into the Dallas County jail Wednesday, where he’s held in lieu of $50,000 bond. He’s charged with theft of a firearm by a public servant and evidence tampering. Conviction of either is punishable by two to 10 years in prison.

Jail records showed no attorney listed for Horne.

Comments

1. BOB says:

Yes another case of just slap on the wrist and he will be back to work in no time. These cops need to do twice as much time behind bars for committing a crime then you would not have all these high school picked on kids being hired by all these police station

1. TheGrove says:

I agree with you Mr.Bob.
      “lotto” and michael davison strike me as the kind of garbage who were picked on in high school and see the police force as their way “out.”
      They caused a LOT of trouble in our class at the academy. (class 320) I have no idea why they joined this profession but either way, that’s why we isolated them and stayed away from these fatties at the academy.

2. NiteNurse says:

Bob the chief fired him…uh I don’t think he’ll be back to work.

3. Tina says:

I don’t think he will be back to work and I do agree they should be punished twice as hard. They are to enforce the law not break it. When they found out his drivers license was suspended he should not have been given another chance.

1. Gumby Rules says:

What suspended license? There is no mehtion of the DPD having his license suspended.

1. Tina says:

They said it on the news. He was fired before for no license.

4. Trev says:

I also agree that most cops seem like they were the type of guys that got picked on a lot in highschool.

5. J says:

Well I’m DPD and I didn’t get picked on in high school. Like most organizations, we have some great cops and we have some who are not. I’m all for firing those who dishonor the uniform and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. Happy 4th everyone.

1. Boyo says:

Yessir “J”….

You hit the nail right on the head. Have a good 4th as well.

6. Bob says:

Some people have sticky fingers and regardless of their profession they seem to have problems when temptation comes their way.

Comments are closed.