Harvard Study: Kids At July 4 Events More Likely To Side With GOP

FLOWER MOUND (CBSDFW.COM) – Celebrating independence seems as natural as baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie, but a Harvard study of voters born between 1920 and 1990 suggests attending just one July 4 celebration under the age of 18 has an effect.

These children, the study says, have a two percent greater likelihood of growing up identifying themselves as Republican, and four percent will vote Republican. North Texas families attending similar events weren’t so quick to buy into that, though.

“Oh, I would be suspicious of how the study was conducted,” said Mario Covarrubias, whose wife and five kids joined him at the Children’s Independence Day Parade in Flower Mound. “I think that Republicans and Democrats both celebrate the 4th of July; I think patriots are on both sides of the aisle.”

Parade attendee Abbey Stanford agreed with him.

“I don’t think it really makes a difference. I celebrate all the holidays with my daughter, because she gets into it, I think it’s something to celebrate because it’s the independence of America. I don’t really think it has a reflection on whether you’re a Republican or a Democrat.”

Harvard is hardly a conservative think tank. So why this conclusion?

“I don’t think Democrats should be tremendously worried about it,” said UNT Political Science Professor Valerie Martinez-Ebers.

She teaches American government, and she believes the Harvard study over-samples whites and under-samples lower income workers as it depends partly on an earlier study of American voters, the American National Election study.

“We don’t know what their partisanship is of their parents, we don’t even know where they lived as children; we just know where they live now – which is in Republican-dominated counties, which is where they find the effects.”

And she believes Independence Day celebrations are important – no matter party affiliation – and that’s what residents should see as the bottom line.

“The importance of parents teaching their children about what a national holiday is, and the significance of what the 4th of July is, of course. “

Back in Flower Mound, one of the primary July 4 sponsors is the Summit Club of Flower Mound, which gave away 3,000 hot dogs at the event.

It says specifically in its literature that it is a “non-political organization.”

Club member and Vice President Claudio Forest said political involvement has nothing to do with the club’s service.

“I can’t say that I’ve voted strictly Republican or strictly Democrat, so I don’t think that’s a valid point,” he said.

Cooking hot dogs alongside him was Scott Baker, who added, “in this area no matter whether you’re a Republican or a Democrat, if you love your country you’re out here and you’re enjoying your community, your friends, and your family.”

Comments

1. Hoo says:

This is one time I hope a Harvard study is correct!

2. Annoyed says:

Being from Flower Mound, this reporter is most likely republican, Baptist, and white. Well, one of those things can be verified. Clearly, not much goes on in Flower Mound if he decides to write about something as controversial as 2% and 4% chances. I bet the study has a margin of error of 5%. This article is laughable. I wouldn’t submit this writing into a high school English class for a grade. Keep writing maybe you will get a better story one day.
    And I wanted to read something interesting or at least patriotic about the 4th of July.

3. Trey says:

Oh give me a break ! Republicans do not even like American let alone this country.If they did they would not be destroying this country with their racist ways.

4. Mrs. Bell says:

I can tell you now, as a mother of four. What we believe and think, our children isn’t going to necessarily think the same. Look at the vote during the Obama election. Most kids 23 to 18 voted for him. I think Harvey study is incorrect, Texas being a Republication state at the moment is correct,but not for long. Our children is going to change the future. There a lot of political things happening that my 10 year old ask me about and when I try to explain it to her. She doesn’t understand , her thought are more direct more every one gets a fair share.

So Harvey your wrong this time.

5. UR STUDY IS STUPID says:

THIS STUDY MUST HAVE BEEN CONDUCTED BY METH HEADS AND CRACK ADDICTS
    BECAUSE AS A KID ALL I DID WAS GO TO FOURTH OF JULY CELEBRATIONS AND I HATE THE GOP
    NOW ADD THAT TO YO STUDY

6. FedUpTxn says:

Any study can be swayed to suit the purpose of those conducting it. The Republicans have done nothing but attempt to divide and conquer since Obama was elected, creating chaos and misinformation everywhere. It’s obvious they are getting desperate. This is from someone who voted primarily Republican for 20 years, but won’t any more due to their immoral and destructive tactics.

7. Hemroidious says:

Let’s see , dividing and conquering, creating chaos, misinformation everywhere, immoral and destructive tactics, don’t like American, let alone country. Did I forget anything? Oh, yes, less patriotic. Wow! These comments are doing exactly what they say the Republicans are doing, except with more hate and anger.

Comments are closed.