Police Issue Warning After Several Craigslist Users Robbed

CARROLLTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Police in North Texas have a warning for anyone who buys things from internet sites like Craigslist. The alert comes after several people were robbed.

Police in Carrollton are searching for the armed suspects who robbed at least four people during separate Craigslist purchase meetings.

“When they arrange to meet with the suspects, the suspects will either use some type of deception or they’ll produce a weapon and actually rob the victim of the cash they’re carrying,” explained Carrollton Police Department Public Information Officer John Stovall.

As police began to investigate the robberies they realized the crimes had several things in common, including the fact that the victims agreed to meet someone in an isolated business area. “What makes them unique is that they’re [meeting locations] close to major roadways,” said Stovall. “It allows the suspects to have easy access away from the location after they commit the offense.”

In addition to finding those responsible for the crime Carrollton police are also trying to determine if the robberies are linked. “We have had varying descriptions of the suspects, so that would lead us to believe that either they [the crimes] are not connected or it’s either a larger group that are working together with multiple suspects in them,” said Stovall.

Police advise that whenever you meet a stranger to make sure it’s in a populated area. Stovall advised, “ We want people to use good judgment when meeting with someone they don’t know, especially if they’re gonna be carrying a large amount of cash with them.”

Comments

1. NiteNurse says:

Craigslist, Facebook, and Twitter are beoming the scruge of our society. They cause crime and cause people to have problems with their relationships. We now have to train our children a different way because of all this available Internet media. BOTTOM LINE: young or old don’t talk to strangers because when you do, the Internet becomes an open window into your world.

1. Bob says:

How does a website cause crime? I’m pretty confident it is the criminal that causes the crime.

1. Dave says:

And Craigslist in particular provides the vehicle or conduit for that criminal activity. There are MANY things the site itself could do to promote a safer environment, but why would they? They’re making money hand over fist on their paid NYC property ads.

Time for the FCC to break the back of Craigslist-the SEWER of the Internet.

2. LarryG says:

Think, Bob, think real hard.

3. Barry Bin Inhalin says:

Bob – I agree with you, criminals are the problem and craigslist is just an easy vehicle that gets them closer to thier goal (of robbing you). I hope that you would agree the same logic holds true for guns too (where guns don’t kill people, people kill people).

4. laarry says:

How does a web site cause crime? google black male pack attacks…and you can see the way they are using blackberrys, twitter…to pack attack businesses.

5. cshellz says:

Love craigslist! Bought my house off of it, garden supplies, canning supplies and building supplies. If you’re dumb enough to show up in a dark place with cash then you’re an idiot. Remember…guns don’t kill people, stupidity kills people.

And all you people trashing a WEBSITE… what a bunch a sheeple, sheesh! Take some responsibility for yourself!

6. greg says:

So far I bought and sold 3 houses, 3 cars on craigslist, rented apartments countless times, all furniture, TV etc without a single problem. Leave craigslist alone!

7. Robert Brooks says:

How dare you besmirch the great name of Craigslist. HOW DARE YOU!!! As Bob states, ” it is criminals, that causes the crime”. A poorly worded, tense ignoring statement, but a true one nonetheless. If you don’t want to talk to strangers Nite Nurse that is fine but, most people do not rob you. You blame all humanity for the actions of a few. Are you with the government? Because, that is what the government does. You need to spend some time on the rants and raves section of CL. Everyone is friendly and nurturing on that forum. Especially in Philly or NY…

2. bob says:

These stupid people should be meeting in public places like the library, bank, police station parking lot, or grocery store.

1. Techno Nerd 3000 says:

Dave, I don’t think I’m comfortable with the FCC or any government body trampling our civil rights. However, I do agree with you that Craigslist is the three-week-unwashed-anus of the Internet.

2. Ed Garland says:

Whenever I make a Craigslist buy a take my 12 gauge shotgun along. I make sure to point it at the seller know that there will be no funny business.

3. Checkmoot says:

I’ve bought a laptop computer and a used convertible from Graigs List ads. I prefer it to newspaper classified because of the pictures posted with the ad.

4. Marky says:

It is obviously major roadways that are the cause of crime. As the story says “It allows the suspects to have easy access away from the location after they commit the offense.”

We must close all major roadways so we can all be safe and live happily ever after.

1. Robert Brooks says:

Great idea! I like the cut of your jib… Also, we should definitely eliminate cash too. Since that’s what these darn robbers seem to be after anyway. Then, we get the phones… I mean, Hey, if the craigslister didn’t (CALL) the robbers; no robbery. Our three ideas alone would probably end crime in the US in a week. ; ) You have to think outside the box sometimes…

5. Wyatt Thompson says:

Yeah, and we need to ban guns because they are the cause of crime too. BOTTOM LINE: Instead of trying to ban things, don’t use it if you are scared to.

1. dustin says:

bottom line, get a gun and keep it with you in the car , if the thugs see it it could deter them from trying anything

6. Emery says:

What an ignorant comment. In the first place Craigslist is very different type of operation that Twitter or Facebook. How can an intelligent person make the comparison? I would agree that Facebook and Twitter have no inherent value but they don’t create criminals. You really think there was no crime before the internet? How idiotic. Grow up.

7. Lucas Temple says:

Great point!!!! Cell phones and phone conversations cause people to have problems and can be used to commit crime. Oh, so can mail. Oh…. and I forgot so can talking to people. Lets ban it all!!!!

You know all those people at each others homes talking over dinner could be plotting some criminal activity. Lets ban that too. Newspapers, Magazines, and even books could be used to commit criminal activity. Lets ban that too.

Did I miss anything?????

1. Robert Brooks says:

You forgot cars, I won’t even expand on that one, the list of crimes committed by cars, would fill the Library of Congress… Also, Reading, because maybe criminals are learning how to commit crime from books and It would stop them from perusing the adds on CL.

8. john says:

“Craigslist, Facebook, and Twitter are beoming the scruge of our society.” But commenting on a website messaging board… TOTALLY different!

9. Constitution-Bound says:

There is not a single website or network that “cause crime”, that is totally illogical. It may make it easier to commit, but that is NOT causation.

You are correct, however, about the need to train our children, so that when they are adults, they will have the wisdom to avoid, as far as is possible, bad situations, and relationships. Also, we must, as adults talk to strangers, or we could hardly live or get anything done of significance.

10. Hi Mom! says:

What’s a scruge?

11. Don says:

Outlawing Craigslist would have to include all of the classified ads in the local and national newspapers and the penny saver type fliers that end up in your mailbox. They are the same venue for marketing goods and services.

2. SDZ says:

“…the Internet becomes an open window into your world.” LOL. Yeah, like showing the world you’re an illiterate dunce.

1. Rowdy Boots says:

OH, HOW POLITE YOU ARE LITTLE PERSON!

1. SDZ says:

You should hear me in person!

2. David says:

SDZ wouldn’t have the stones to act in person like the a s s that he is online. That’s another thing the internet does, it allows wussies to pretend that they’re tough guys. Get them face to face and they wouldn’t have more than a word or two to say.

3. SDZ says:

Really, David? How about you and I meet for coffee this afternoon? Where’s a good place for you?

2. Dave says:

I’m sure you’re more polite, perhaps even reserved, in person. Most internet trashy cowards are.

1. Greg says:

So calling an illiterate dunce an illiterate dunce is being an ass? In the real world, that’s called the truth. The world might be a better place if we heard the truth a little more often.

3. JaneSmith says:

NiteNurse may have misspelled a word. But he/she is right on target. Maybe the other commenters have become so corrupted by the Internet, that they have no problem insulting a stranger. Another fallout of the Internet — a lack of etiquette.

4. so it's a different world... says:

It’s tiring to listen to the constant yearning for the days when we left our doors unlocked and trusted our neighbors. So it’s a different world now, thanks to lawyers and frivolous lawsuits, and the perverts and crooks they protect. That’s the “success” of all the protests for personal freedoms… the demise o community.

The only way to combat this is to teach your kids morals AND street smarts. The longer you keep them naive only makes your kids more vulnerable to perverts and hustlers. Give your kids someone they can trust-be a good parent. They’ll be better off than 90% of Americans.

1. John Harper says:

The country was 90% White in the 60’s. The 1965 Immigration “Reform” Act REQUIRED 90% non-White immigration, today it’s over 95% non-White because Europe’s allottment is only half Whites today, and that is all dwarfed by illegal immigration, which is 90% mexican. This all coincides with welfare, desegregation, and the ghetto destruction of all our inner cities in the 60’s, too. Notice there’s no mention of the perpetrators’ race in this story? I wonder why.

2. CommonSense says:

Morals and street smarts. I couldn’t agree more.

On that note, here’s how it works when I conduct Craigslist business as a buyer. When I arrive as a buyer I am polite and give them the benefit of the doubt. However, should they elect to produce a weapon as the article suggests, I would return the favor as a gentleman.

Craigslist is really no different than the classified ads in the paper… and I tend to agree with you – the crimes reflect cultural changes and to blame them on the technology is short sighted.

5. Rowdy Boots says:

I recommend carrying a gun to meet unknown people…maybe they will think twice about attacking an armed person…

OH, I FORGOT…WE ONLY ALLOW CRIMINALS TO HAVE GUNS!

MY BAD!

1. Bob says:

You can carry a gun in Texas.

2. Dave says:

I’d rather be an armed “criminal” than a law abiding corpse.

1. C Bauer says:

Amen to that.

2. Htos1 says:

Roger that!

6. Jody Cox says:

Well said. Substance is more important than style.

1. Boetica says:

Let’s hope voters have learned that lesson by 2012.

1. C Bauer says:

LOL! Well played!

7. a_patriot says:

And the police are doing WHAT to track them down with the EASY trail the crooks leave via Email?

NOTHING apparently.

1. Techno Nerd 3000 says:

I won’t tell them HOW to do it, but it’s very easy to hide your identity online, including IP addys.

8. Hank Warren says:

This is a pretense to shut down the internet. This is all about limiting Free Speech. After all, censorship is everywhere. The gov’t (and their big business cronies) censor free speech, shut down dissent and ban the book “America Deceived II”. Free speech for all.
    Last link (before Google Books bans it also]:

1. Dave says:

Free Speech ENDS at “fire!” in a crowded theatre that isn’t ablaze. TIme to shut you irresponsible liberals up.

2. David says:

Hey guess what? The majority of the 230 plus years of this country existed WITHOUT the internet and we all got along fine, AND we all enjoyed free speech, it just wasn’t nearly as vile, coarse and nasty as it is in this ” age of enlightenment ” they call the internet age. The truth is, the internet could be shut down tomorrow and there wouldn’t be any fewer 1st Amendment rights as any other generation enjoyed.

9. Dumb-kids^ says:

Their both idiotic. Most likely children who have nothing better to do than support excessive internet use. Notice they were quick to challenge the spelling and use acronyms that most people don’t understand. They probably sit at home on the computer and constantly do the new thing they call “trolling”, you know where you bash people for what they say and instead of focusing on facts, point out minor misspellings. They probably dropped out of school with the ultimate goal of becoming a ditch digger. It’s sad really because in reality they most likely work as a pee-on in a retail store and play mindlessly on their game systems that mommy and daddy paid for.

1. SDZ says:

THEY’RE – not THEIR, in this case. By the way, I’m college-educated (MBA), and I live very comfortably off a trust fund.

1. Michael says:

Well, that’s something to be proud of.

2. John Harper says:

Oh, THANK YOU, Spell-checker man. Everyone loves you people who are constantly correcting everyone, as though YOUR the only one who knows the language. And intelligent people misuse words all the time, btw. Do you realize everyone thinks YOUR an insecure loser? Think about it.

3. Tracker3 says:

YOU’RE – not YOUR…easy mistake though. Since we are having fun spell checking.

4. Finbar says:

I think John Harper was being facetious.

2. buddy says:

The “pee-on in a retail store” comment is rather judgmental, is it not? I own a retail store and believe that people working at any job deserve respect. You seem kinda like the trolls that you were opining about!

1. Yaspar says:

Actually, the word is “peon.” It’s Spanish.

10. Peter in newport says:

CraigsList is a waste of time. I put a nice Yamaha for sale and only got 3 responses…from scammers. I used CraigsList for the last 2 1/2 years looking for jobs….probably 450 responses to help wanted ads in there….. 15 return responses, 1/2 of those scams. CraigsList does not ‘police’ it’s own website.

Craigs List is the bottom of the barrel.

11. handog says:

You can Cary a gun in Texas Boots. You are talking about California.

12. handog says:

Edit: carry. Just a typo. Hold your fire gramma
    Police.

13. Michael says:

Hank, I just clicked on your site and read the Free Preview of the “infamous 9/11” chapter. It’s just (sub-par) fiction. Where is the fact in tat story?

Sorry to change subjects.

I buy off Craigslist all the time, but I always make sure I’m meeting in a populated place, during the day, or if it’s an expensive item, I’m going to someone’s home or they are coming to mine. To do anything else is just silly, and practically asking to be robbed. These kids are so naive and soft, and it’s mostly our (America’s) fault.

1. Jonesey says:

A guy in Seattle was murdered in his home by a couple of thugs who answered his craigslist ad. He thought, like you, that he would be safe at home. Be very careful.

1. Mchael says:

You’re absolutely right, you have to treat every transaction with extreme caution. The thing is, I only buy stuff off CL that is kind of related to non-violent people, like synthesizers. I would never buy or sell something over $1000 there. But good point. You can’t be too careful.

14. Dave says:

That’s it genius, keep inviting those people off Craigslist for high dollar items to YOUR HOME…..hehe….MORON! We’ll see your body in the newspaper…..

1. Zef Side says:

Aren’t you the tw@t who just insulted someone else for being a trashy coward on the Internet?

2. Michael says:

Did I mention anything at all about high-dollar items?

And I can see who pulls into my driveway before they ever get to the door. I would never let anyone in who wasn’t actually carrying the item in hand and didn’t look suspicious. But thanks for your comment.

1. Michael says:

When I said expensive, I’m talking about a $500 keyboard or guitar, something I can see in the person’s hand. It’s just common sense.\ to me what will fly and what won’t. Like calling someone “moron” in all caps. That doesn’t fly.

15. Peter in newport says:

I used to limit my buying to less than $100 for stuff like furniture. Not anymore… Nothing but scammers now

16. ChesterJohn says:

they will have to get a search warrant for craiglist and get the ip addresses and see if they can trackthemdown.

1. Techno Nerd 3000 says:

That’s assuming they didn’t use an onion router. If they did, then it’s more subpoenas and snooping.

17. ray says:

So the uninformed want to crack down, regulate Craigslist. What, may I ask, is the difference between placing an ad on CL than the old way of selling or buying of listing an item FS in the newspaper classified ads? Some of you folks need to get a grasp on reality.

18. WuxMoo says:

Just make sure you are ALWAYS armed, ALL of the time.

.total-privacy.se.tc

19. James Woods says:

Common sense needs a warning now. Maybe we can create a government agency for this.

1. ditchdigger2 says:

Where would you find a public official that could counsel in common sence. Thier advice would be, give it up, don’t resist, he’s my cousin.

20. mark Haslem says:

Yeah and this robbery thing works the other way as well. Supposing you are selling a high value item like a gold bullion coin. You would want to be very careful. Honestly I think a good place is to meet the person in a bank lobby. There are cameras everywhere, if they are legit they won’t care and if not they won’t want to, big clue not to do business with them.

21. StanSki says:

I always pack my 9mm in clear view on my hip (open carry is legal almost everywhere) when I’m conducting a Craiglist deal. Everyone stays honest that way.

22. ditchdigger2 says:

I have bought on Graigs list, If we don’t now the same folks, I meet them in a busy, public area, daytime, if a residence, tell someone, and don’t go alone. If an apartment, have them come to you. Think.

23. WJB Clinton says:

I tawt Craigzlist was just for rape.

24. Craig Nowitski says:

Apple justreleased an iPhone app a few days ago called Scam Detector a they have a lot of Craisglist scams. The app exposes in detail over 350 of the most notorious scams in the world. It might be worth checking it out, if you have an iPhone. The app it’s kinda cool, actually.

25. Chicago Nick says:

All these social media things are exploited by the usual suspects in society who prey on people who trust others and when will Americans not of color understand that the majority of those OF COLOR hate you and me and spend their entire existences thinking of ways to separate us from our hard earned money and possessions?

Don’t be suckered into white guilt for these people anymore.

They hate you, not all but far too many to give the rest a pass in my world. And that’s why they’ll never get what’s mine or my neighbors and loved ones without dying trying.

1. John Harper says:

Amen, Nick. You just know it was mexicans doing this, probably robbing other mexicans. The “news” will never tell you that, though. You’re dead-on, all the non-Whites hate us and it’s depressing to see how many White people can’t face that.

26. Craigo says:

People are idiots and they deserve to be robbed.
    Whenever I sell an item on Facebook, I meet the buyer in the parking lot of the nearest police precinct. Most were legit, but two backed off after I made that request.

1. Tracker3 says:

Craigo…No one, absolutely no one deserves to be a victim of a crime. Some folks are naive but that doesn’t mean others have the “right” to steal from them.

27. Craigo says:

Oops, I meant to say Craigslist in the above post. Guess I’m a sleepy idiot. LOL

28. If you can’t trust a stranger you meet off the internet, who can you trust?

People these days…….

29. amplitude jones says:

one or a hundred- WHEN a criminal is caught, execute it. I seriously believe that when criminals hear that getting caught gets you chopped up for parts to worthy kidney patients and liver needs and eye tissue, then and only then, will the criminals find it less worth performing crimes… Same with arming foreign invaders- we know who does it- execute the traitor pigs.

30. seth says:

what a joke…blame craigslist…that is exactly what this country has come to blame everything else…if you are too weak to hold on to your money it may be taken from you. You should be aware of the fact that there are people out there that would kill you for $20 and never give it another thought. I love to hear all of you good Americans calling for government intervention, why don’t we all just get government case workers who can oversee all our daily activities and not allow craigslist or gun possession or too much fast food, that is surely the answer

31. Anon says:

Craigslist is the arsehole of the internets. Obama should have it shut down. It is a danger to society. Craig Newmark should be investigated.

1. Will F says:

The INTERNETS! LOL! I see W is online!

1. Americansareidiots says:

Still pining for W? That’s pretty sad. You should get out more. maybe get yourself laid? Just a thought…

2. Will F says:

I did, and thank your sister and mom for swallowing.

32. CommonCents says:

OKAY FOLKS, LEARN TO READ -BETWEEN- THE LINES of the P.C. Police!

““We have had varying descriptions of the suspects, so that would lead us to believe that either they [the crimes] are not connected or it’s either a larger group that are working together with multiple suspects in them,”

A ‘larger group working together’… hmmm, sounds like they’re NON-white.

Perhaps related to Facebook “mob-rob” groups we’re seeing in Chicago, NYC, etc?

Of course, the police are so manipulated (scared) by the ACLU, ADL, SPLC that they dare not identify the actual RACE of the perpetrators, so they ‘conceal’ it.

33. rik says:

Dave is right..time for the FCC to break the back of
    the putrid SEWER known as craigslist. Get to it,
    FCC.

34. Crazy_Redneck says:

First of all, how stupid do you have to be to meet someone for a purchase in an “isolated business area”? Secondly, this is Texas. If you ain’t packing, you’re wrong. Finally, trust in the goodness of your fellow man, be polite, but ALWAYS have a plan to subdue everyone you meet. You just might have to.

35. dbeall says:

I suppose some of you are the same people that things guns pull their own triggers and kill people. Any tool can be misused. Do we ban hammers when someone hits another with it? Do we ban cars because of a hit and run? Common sense tells you to NEVER meet a stranger in an isolated area. It isn’t the responsibility of the government to protect the stupid. That’s the trouble with too many folks. Let’s look to the government to solve our problems.

36. Emery says:

Craigslist is a great venue to buy and sell stuff but you do need to be careful because criminals will try to take advantage. Criminals will always be criminals – it’s not the fault of Craigslist. Always meet in a public place. I’ve gone to people’s home. I’ve had people come to mine. Someone stole a laptop one time, but I was stupid and allowed to guy steal it. It was my fault not Craigslist. Somehow I wonder how people react with such stupidity. If you put an add in the paper and ay a lot of money you still can be robbed? YOu think getting rid of Craigslist will make society a better place? Grow up folks.

37. Googie Bergdorff says:

Don’t blame Craigslist if people are too stupid to protect themselves. I’ve had dealings with people selling stuff there before, and things went without a hitch. If someone insists on making the exchange in anything but a busy public place and you consent to it, then you’re stupid and deserve to get robbed. If the seller is legitimate, they’re not going to be any more thrilled to meet you in isolation than you are since you’re just as much of a stranger to them.

38. Atlas Shrugged says:

Poorly written article. What area were being advertised in and what types of purchases were being robbed. Model for hire, no kidding, motorcycle for sale, different story.

MORE FACT PLEASE. Need to go back to Journalism 101 and refresh yourself.

1. C Bauer says:

What are you, Ukrainian? YOU have no command of the English lexicon, either. “What area were being advertised in…”

39. Julio Gonzalus says:

I use graigslist a lot. I have bought and sold many items and I meet in public areas to complete the transaction. I ALWAYS have my Glock under my shirt. I don’t need cops that are minutes away, especially when split seconds are the reality. I have a concealed weopons permit and this is a joke, after all, the 2nd Amendment should be everyones legal right to carry. For you confused people that hate guns, my gun has never killed me. See guns don’t kill people, it’s people that kill people. Want to see what happens when you take guns away from a society? Study the prison population. They don’t have guns and murder continues within that society. They fashion their own weapons to kill their victoms. This is enough proof to realize that it’s people killing people and guns have nothing to do with this fact. They are just an instrument in the killing passion. Live next to me and I’ll post a sign in my yard stating that “My neighbor doesn’t own a gun and out of respect for him I will not use my guns to defend his property from theives.” Works every time. I haven’t been robbed yet, but my neighbor can not say the same thing. Oh well, he can deal with his safety and I’ll deal with mine. 🙂

40. CS says:

Common sense would have prevented these robberies.

41. Justin says:

I found tickets online and met a dude in a McDonalds parking lot to buy them just this past Friday. Meeting people strange to you in a public high-traffic place should be common sense. It is safer for buyer and seller. If they refuse then don’t go.

42. wayne says:

come on we all know it is the guns that cause all the crime.

43. Spanky says:

I don’t see what the problem is. These people are just community activists who are redistributing the wealth. Maybe they can run for President.

44. Fife says:

Simple: agree to meet in the parking lot of a major retailer like Walmart, Target, or even a busy municipal parking lot. Daytime. Park up front near all the crowd and cars. If the merchant refuses then there you have it, it’s a setup or a scam. And if they do meet you in such a visible, high traffic area AND try to rob you, they are insane or just dumb and will be caught and identified on the spot. And if you live in a gun friendly state just have it with you in case the very rare but latter scenario happens AND the criminal has a weapon. Happy Craigslist shopping.

45. sistaelle says:

craigslist is awesome.. I’ve gotten the best stuff there for a fraction of the price of new. THAT”S why it’s being trashed.. because it hurts the stores when people buy and sell by cutting out the big boys.

46. sistaelle says:

Just bought a fantastic classic 1970’s solid oak dining room hutch off craigslist today for $300. Flawless..

47. joey says:

Why noy just meet in front of a police Satation to make the exchange- HELLO

48. joey says:

why not just meet in front of a police station to make the exchange – HELLO

49. DDT says:

My next door neighbors are FW police officers. They have different shifts, so there’s always a patrol car in the driveway. I have no problem having people meet me for a deal (for obvious reasons).

50. captainamerica says:

Craigslist is a den of winning, dangerous liberals

Comments are closed.