Luminant May Shut Power Plants Over Clean-Air Regs

DALLAS (AP) – The major electric power provider for much of North and West Texas says it is considering closing or reducing operations at some of its coal-fired plants to meet new federal clean-air rules.

Dallas-based Energy Future Holdings Corp. owns Luminant Generation Co. In a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Wednesday, it said it’s considering the shutdowns or slowdowns of its plants and mines, as well as seasonal or temporary shutdowns. It’s also considering installing scrubbers to remove sulfur dioxide from plant emissions.

It’s unclear from the filing how the company is leaning and which plants are likeliest to be affected.

Energy Future Holdings also owns TXU Energy to transmit the electricity Luminant generates and Oncor to market it.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. S says:

Obama said he would bankrupt electric comapnies that use coal back in 2008.

2. Engrpat says:

Think electric rates are high now, wait. Obama, along with bankrupting the electric and mining companies, he will do the same to citizens of the US.

3. chuck says:

these regs were put into place before Obama came to office, do your homework, besides they have had years to become compliant, made billions but not wanting to clean up their mess

1. Darryl says:

Thnaks for setting the record straight chuck. The unAmerican bigots blaming this President for everything is getting awfully old.

2. Tom E. says:

Chuck,

Your statement is by far the most distasteful here. No one said anything about race, but because people bring up exact quotes from the president they are bigots. Please, take a minute to really examine what you said, and what the president has accomplished.

President Bush was not overly conservative, and it turns out Mr. Obama is every bit of the hawk Bush was (Libya for example).

Back to race; I think Morgan Freeman, (although I do not agree with everything they say), on race he simply says “Don’t talk about it”

1. Darryl says:

Exact quote huh? Cite it then, and a rightwing lying lunatic site doesnt qualify as information. Exactly where does chuck bring up race? Besides you are way off topic, at least chuck is topical. And the citation of Morgan Freeman is ridiculous, dont bring up race..the racist right brings it up all the time.

2. Tom E. says:

Freeman has publicly criticized the celebration of Black History Month and does not participate in any related events, saying, “I don’t want a black history month. Black history is American history.”[34] He says the only way to end racism is to stop talking about it, and he notes that there is no “white history month”.[35] Freeman once said on an interview with 60 Minutes’ Mike Wallace: “I am going to stop calling you a white man and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man.

4. Dale says:

Typical corporate scare tactics. Do you really think these corporate overlords will stop raking in obscene amounts of profit.

5. Darryl says:

Gee that looks like a quote from Morgan Freeman. You said “…people bring up exact quotes from the president…” lets see that citation.
    Do you even know what you say?

6. Darryl says:

“Back to race; I think Morgan Freeman, (although I do not agree with everything they say)…”
    Morgan Freeman is a”they” or did you let your inner racist slip?

1. Tom E. says:

I started the comment referring to both Bill Crosby and Morgan Freeman’s comments about race, but I figured I would simplify it and just go with Morgan Freeman.

Both men have been somewhat ostracized for their comments.

I simply do not care what color you are, but I do firmly believe the race industry (ala Rev. Jackson and the like) rarely does any good. And often harm.

7. grizzleyb says:

Luminent is getting the results it wants. The average Bubba fighting amongst each other and Blaming Obama. This company is hegefund controlled and is only interested in imediate profits. Its not the old TXU

8. Darryl says:

Nevermind, you are hopeless, better things to spend my time on, have a good day.

9. RussP says:

Not sure how a problem with electricity turned into a race issue guys. I’d be more worried that one company, Energy Future Holdings, owns Luminant, TXU and Oncor and has this much control over North Texas’s energy supply. It seems they could pretty much write their own rules and my guess is this threat of shutting plants is to get around the clean air regulations they didn’t want to bother to meet.

Comments are closed.