Texas ACT Exam Scores Below National Average

DALLAS (AP) – Texas members of the high school class of 2011 have posted ACT college entrance exam scores slightly below the national average.

Officials with ACT Inc., the Iowa-based not-for-profit that administers the test, reported Wednesday that the nationwide average composite score was 21.1 on the 1-to-36 scale.

The Texas average composite score was 20.8, which is the same as last year.

Twenty-five percent of ACT test-takers across the country met the college-readiness standard in the four core subjects of English, math, reading and science. In Texas, the rate was 24 percent.

Comments

1. C Bauer says:

Well, this will certainly help Rick Perry’s chances – of losing.

One thing I did take comfort in from this story is the average score. I scored a 26 when I took it many moons ago.

2. SmartMom says:

my kids made 32 and 30. you are welcome, Texas. Education is important people. I made a 29 in 1981. Got some great scholarships from that score.

1. Herr Schadenfreude says:

Congratulations to your children being exceptions to the rule. I made a 34 only seven years ago, and I’m in Mensa. Most of it, in my opinion, is in genetics and parenting. Well-disciplined children in stable households do better than the general populace whether in public, private, or home-school environments. I’m, a product of the latter. It doesn’t hurt to have bright parents, either.

1. Herr Schadenfreude says:

Why the hell did I put a comma after “I’m”? More coffee is needed.

3. Rick McDaniel says:

The question is……..how much has being a border state, impacted on those scores?

Is anyone aware, of the fact much of the low performance in our public schools is related directly to illegal immigration?

Of course not…….that would require people to admit, there’s a problem with illegal immigration, now wouldn’t it?

It would also force people to take into consideration that all of the border states are being negatively impacted, in the school systems, because of language and cultural barriers to learning, due to the high percentage of illegal immigrants, in the public schools. (Not to mention the improper use of taxpayer dollars, to educate citizens of a foreign country.)

1. Ana says:

I never thought of it that way, but I think you are correct.

Comments are closed.