Kimbell Art Museum Acquires Poussin Painting

FORT WORTH (AP) – The Kimbell Art Museum said Friday it had made one of its most important acquisitions, a work by French painter Nicolas Poussin.

Poussin’s “Sacrament of Ordination (Christ Presenting the Keys to Saint Peter)” is from his famous first set of “Seven Sacraments” and will be on view at the Fort Worth museum starting Wednesday.

The painting depicts the gospel account of Christ giving the keys of heaven and earth to Peter.

“The series is among the landmarks of European paintings,” the museum’s director, Eric M. Lee, said Friday. “These paintings were celebrated from the time of their creation.”

Lee said Poussin is considered the “father of French painting,” and without him, there would be no Degas, Cezanne or even Picasso.

The Kimbell said that the series was commissioned by a Roman collector between 1636 and 1642. In 1785, the 4th Duke of Rutland bought them, bringing them to England.

The paintings were on display at the duke’s Belvoir Castle for more than 200 years. From 2003 to 2010, they were on loan to the National Gallery in London.

Of the original seven works, the Duke of Rutland still has four. One was destroyed in a fire and another was acquired by the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., in 1946, the Kimbell said.

The Kimbell said in a news release that the painting was offered for sale by the trustees of Belvoir Estate.

A document from Great Britain’s independent Museums, Libraries and Archives Council, which reviews export licenses for works of art, listed the agreed sale price as about $24 million.

Lee said the process to get an export license for the work of art was nerve-racking. The council had a three-month period where they would allow a British institution try to raise the funds to keep the work in the United Kingdom.

“I was so relieved when we got the export license,” he said.

“Sacrament of Ordination” had gone up for auction at Christie’s in London December, but didn’t sell.

Comments

1. C Bauer says:

It’s KIMBELL. Can you illiterate dunces in the news room not even read the sign in your own photograph? JEEEEEEESUS!!!!

1. C Bauer says:

My reference was to the headline. The copy body is correct in the spelling. Check your home page, also.

1. NiteNurse says:

Geez BOWZER…you’re getting a little OCD about spelling. Up the meds okay?

2. C Bauer says:

Pardon me for having a good education and some sort of standards. The effing photo was right in front of the reporter and that reporter STILL misspelled the name of the museum. I hope you don’t have the same lax standards when you’re nursing.

By the way, OCD is nothing to make fun of. You as a healthcare professional should know that. My brother committed suicide in June because of his crippling obsessions. NOT COOL.

3. DDT says:

Disregard any and all comments by NiteNurse. He/she is a known troll and a certified moron on these comment boards. God forbid any of us have to be treated by this drooling illiterate ‘t@rd (probably an immigrant as well).

4. Oy Vey says:

Wow, NiteNurse, you’re a real jerk.

5. Howard Sterno says:

I agree. Just disregard. I’m sure NiteNurse is working in some indigent-care dump, providing “care” to the trash of the earth. NiteNurse is probably a Filipino (the dogs of the Asian world – ask any non-Filipino Asian), and got training in said third world toilet country. Let’s all laugh at this miserable loser and pay no more attention to said moron.

6. NiteNurse says:

Being a good speller has nothing to do with your level of education I know tons of physicians who are horrible spellers and they grew up in this country. The last several spelling bee champs had parents from other countries. I just feel that there should be freedom of speech here without a bunch of spelling and grammar Nazi running the place. As far as your brother, believe me if I was related to you I would kill myself!!!

2. Otto Larry Engologee says:

Did you just refer to NiteNurse as a health care “professional”? LOL. Glorified phlebotomist is more like it. Ask the $3000-a-day radiologist or anesthesiologist who the real health care professional is. Professional… LOL. That loser has ample time to comment on every story on this web site. That’s a real professional we have here.

1. NiteNurse says:

Maybe I organize my day a little better then you Blotto. I don’t spend a zillion hours in bed like some of you shlumbs. BTW you must have allot of free time because you check on me!!!

1. CRNA says:

You are one sad, pathetic person NiteNurse. I almost feel sorry for you. Almost. You must be a really miserable, unhappy person inside. What are you going through or have gone through that makes you so repellant? I bet you don’t have any mirrors in your house. I’d be ashamed to look at myself and what I’ve become if I were you. Thankfully, I’m not you. Have a great weekend, if you can.

2. Otto Larry Engologee says:

I check on you? Are you insane? That was my first post ever to this web site. You need help. Can someone say paranoid schizophrenic?

3. NiteNurse says:

I love the racist comments here. The Filipino nurses are some of the finest nurses we have in this country. They are helping a nursing shortage in this country because nursing is such a stressful and difficult profession that allot of lazy Americans don’t want to do. You all wonder why Americans are unemployed it’s because they are too scared to work hard for their money.
        PS: Congratulation KIMBELL and your new aquistion. I have loved your museum since it first opened.

4. Boats and Hos says:

Notice the insecurity of this book-book seagull when she mentions going to the museum at the end. “Oh, I can afford the Kimbell!” Like who can’t? Dumb flipo Chinese wetb@ck.

3. Sue Sudio says:

Wishing really bad karma on you, NiteNurse.

1. NiteNurse says:

Thanks Honey and the same to you!

2. C Bauer says:

You’re WAY overdue on that. Bad karma is why NiteNurse is such a miserable, lonely, bitter b!tch.

3. C Bauer says:

You’re WAY overdue on that. Bad karma is why NiteNurse is such a miserable, lonely, bitter b!t¢h.

1. C Bauer says:

Oh, they DIDN’T filter the original. Nice! Duplicate comments in this case is gravy!

2. NiteNurse says:

(smiling broadly) I’ve gotten under your skin haven’t I?

3. C Bauer says:

Kind of like your mother’s herpes?

4. DayDoc says:

KIMBALL is a major street near my house in Southlake. The KIMBELL is a museum. Although Bauer is the official spelling and grammar Nazi on this web site, and really anal-retentive, I will have to agree this time with the call. The photo of the museum’s sign was RIGHT THERE in the story lead. There’s no excuse for that.

1. NiteNurse says:

So an occasional typo is never allowed. I guess you live in a perfect world with BOWZER.

1. DayDoc says:

You’re a real loser, NiteNurse. A real bona fide loser. I’m leaving my office for the day. Have fun with your $h!tty night job.

5. I'm Not Prejudiced - I Hate Everyone says:

DayDoc, C Bauer, et. al: You should read her comment today about General Patton on the “9/11 stigma” story. She’s a real idiot.

Comments are closed.