TSA Agents Demand To Search Woman’s Afro

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A Dallas woman claims she was humiliated at an airport when TSA agents patted down her hair.

Isis Brantley was headed down an escalator at Hartsfield-Jackson International airport in Atlanta, after she was screened a the initial security checkpoint, when she says two TSA agents came after her asking to check her hair for explosives.

Brantley says the agents began patting down her large afro in public as she waited on a train platform.

She claims she was so embarrassed and couldn’t understand why they checked her again after her initial security screening. Brantley says she couldn’t believe it was happening to her. She says she wouldn’t have minded if the TSA did the hair pat-down at the security checkpoint. It was the public display that upset her.

Isis Brantley on 1080 KRLD

After it was over Brantley complained to a TSA supervisor who then apologized. The TSA issued a statement saying “Additional screening may be required for clothing, headware or hair where prohibited items could be hidden. This passenger left the checkpoint prior to the completeion of the screening process.”

The TSA also claims that the agent offered to take Brantley into a private area, but she says that’s not true.

Brantley is a hairdresser in DFW and says this has never happened to her in the 20 years she’s been wearing her hair in this natural way.

Comments

1. NiteNurse says:

I personally spoke with a nurse who took care of a lady who was brought in by police to be checked for drugs. The airport dog alerted them to something she had on her. She was xrayed but founded nothing inside her. Only when an alert staff member spotted something peeking through her hairdo did they find several bags of drugs stuff in it. White or black if you have a very full or unusal hairdo expect to be searched. You can hide allot of things in hairdos.

1. Did You Even Go To College? says:

Yes, allot of drugs stuff can be founded.

1. NiteNurse says:

Good morning Brauer1

2. NiteNurse says:

PS I worked all night but I’m glad you are always checking my work.

2. kirk says:

You should not expect to be search at all. Unless you are living in a fascist state! What are you saying????
      In order to be searched according to LAW and the 4th amendment. They need a SEARCH warrant than needs to be OKAY by a judge , and it has to be supported by oath and affirmation of the reason, the place and things to be search .
      But it appears we now live in a fascist state…

1. Chris McPhail says:

You are exactly right! Well said!

2. NiteNurse says:

Then let’s go back to how it was before 9-11 or even before that when no one was searched before they boarded a plane. I’m sorry but if you are going to be on a plane with lots of people who are flying in plane with tons of jet fuel over populated areas you need to be searched. I hope we all have to fly naked with just a paper gown covering our bodies because I am that distrustful of everyone I fly with. I trust no one I even worry about the pilots that fly the plane, I feel their credentials should be given to you prior to flying.

3. rd says:

Have you even READ the Constitution? It doesn’t say you are free from searches, it says you are free from UNREASONABLE searches. In this day of idiots hiding things in their underwear, it is not unreasonable to be expected to be searched before going on a plane. And sorry, lady, searching your hair is only “humiliating” if you are looking to play the race card. If you don’t want to be searched, drive. Having your hair patted down is a small price to pay to not be blown out of the sky.

4. rocky says:

not when it applys to homeland security according to the constitution we are allowed to defend ourselves from enemies foreign and domestic

3. royce says:

I’m surprised they didn’t find a anchor baby mexican in there.

4. Rey says:

I sort of have to agree with you. Because judging by your comments, I would NEVER feel safe in a plane with YOU. Really, I don’t know how you are even a nurse. You are insane.

2. RR Worker says:

For a supposedly educated person as you would expect a nurse to be, you sure use some bad grammar. The word is “Found”, not founded. The word “Allot” means to portion out as in “That lady just got her monthly allotment of government cheese.” I hope you meant “a lot” because there is no such word as alot. I hope you don’t work at any hospital I might get deposited in after some major mishap.

1. NiteNurse says:

I’m a product of a public school education what can I say. I really want to see how well you spell after 12 hours on the night shift working with very sick people. I’m glad RR your world is perfect and your spelling is always always dead on. Whether you believe I’m a nurse or not it doesn’t matter Forgive my lack of proofing my posting. I just wanted everyone to be aware that there are many places a person can hide weapons and to be prepared to be searched…hair and all. RR Honey no matter how you feel about my grammar or my spelling you will always get excellent care from this nurse.

3. RR Worker says:

I think that’s funny, the people who complain the most and never have time to wait for anything took off before she was free to leave the check point. The only thing that would be funnier is if the TSA agents had great big afros thenselves.

4. david says:

shave you head and you won’t have to worry.

5. Texas says:

RR Worker
    What do you mean by “The People”? Is this you way of referring to blacks without saying it? Regardless, it is still being racist and is not needed in America. Once people like you can get past race, America will be a better place.

6. Clifton Abraham says:

I was a witness to this event!!! The TSA Workers did it out of Curiosity. To see if her HAIR was REAL. NO LIE

7. Martin K says:

Sounds like this was a case of someone covering their own butt, especially after officials found a knife in a guy’s luggage the other day(after he boarded no less!). Bet it went something like this:

“Hey, did you remember to check her hair?”
    “Sh*&, no, I didn’t.”
    “Well hurry up and get her before she boards!”

Whoever it was probably didn’t even think about how it might make her feel, probably just didn’t want to get in trouble.

8. ImReallyMe says:

So many stupid people in this country we call America. A country where are children are forced to pledge allegiance. I’m learning that white people are angry ugly people who feel excused from every ugly thought that comes from there mouths. Every topic where someone black is involved you can sense they evil hatred in their voices. Just makes me sick. I just go to post and just wait for the worthless idiots to get involved with an opportunity to be racist behind words…most likely because in real life the run the risk of getting knocked out!

1. HumanRace says:

ImReallyMe- Do you not see the irony in calling whites an “ugly, angry people who feel excused from every ugly thought that comes from their mouths”? As long as people of ALL races continue to walk around with a chip on their shoulder, pulling the race card instead of taking responsibility for their actions and treating others as they would want to be treated, racism will persist. And, as far as there being “so many stupid people in this country we call America”, please do us all a favor and learn to use spell check before posting your views and making it apparent that you are included among that number.

“A country where are children”- OUR, not are
      “every ugly thought that comes from there mouths”- THEIR, not there
      “you can sense they evil hatred”- THE, not they
      “most likely because in real life the run the risk”- THEY, not the

9. Nicole says:

Sure..Dont Check..Let everyone go and Crash planes into buildings where inocent people work and live.

10. Valerie says:

She was SOOO humiliated about it that she decided to make her story public…hmm…

11. Patriotic Girl says:

NiteNurse is a pro Bama / Homeland agent obviously. 4th Ammend. right sticks no matter what post 911 events happen. Was given to us for a reason. Get over it and prepare to fly next to potential hazzards. You can be just as easily hit driving down the road.

1. NiteNurse says:

Wasn’t the Homeland Security agency created under George W. Bush? And Honey for your information I voted for W. in his first run for president. Only when I realized how stupid he reallly was did I wise up. Actually I have voted republican in all the presidental elections except the last two. BELIEVE IT OR NOT! Sweetie this girl is sticking to the road, no flying for me until they get this security stuff figured out.

12. Reg says:

A suicide bomber killed a afghan official less than 2 years ago with a bomb planted in a turban. A suicide bomber had a bra made of explosives and killed several people around her. Wake up people this isnt Mayberry any more there is a lunatic fringe out there.

13. darrell says:

what is scary is the people here who think security is not needed, their rights are being violated or whatever little agenda they have can be pushed are so stupid. you do not understand what you are up against.
    when you talk about islamic terrorist, you are talking about a people over a billion strong of which some are willing to strap a bomb to their body, go into crowd and blow it up just for the sake of killing people. to them, it is the greatest thing they can ever do. you cannot fight that sort of dedication without drastic measures.
    we are at war with someone who realizes its a war. people like you are have a serious reality problem and i hope you are amoung their next victims because i dont want you leading this nation in the future. your way too stupid. people need to realize there can be no peace with someone who from birth has their life dedicated to killing you.

14. forresn says:

Wow, this is horrible. the TSA is over stepping there limits. Isnt a full body scan that shines damaging xrays through our bodies enough????

15. DESTINI says:

I AM ISIS NEIGHBOR AND THE PROBLEM IS SHE WENT THROUGH PROPER SCREENING AND AT HER GATE WAS THEN RAN DOWN BY TSA TO PAT HER HAIR…IN PUBLIC, IN FRONT OF EVERYONE…NO PRIVACY NOTHING MIND YOU SHE HAD ALREADY GONE THROUGH SECURITY…JUST FYI TO THOSE WHO HAVE NO CLUE

16. josepe says:

the problem with america is not white , black or Hispanic,you think it might be, but is not, that’s how big brother is keeping us apart, remember divided we fall, it has been proven that all of this tension is not cause by color is cause by the government and in the meantime we are been kept separate like if if it was a problem with race but no is a problem between rich and super rich, remember our neighbors don’t have anything we want because they are just like us poor, dirt poor , so instead of picking sides(races) fight your government because it has done nothing for us

17. scanpruf says:

Seriously, if people are so terrified of all these terrorists that they allow a stranger to look at them naked and/or touch their private places just to travel, they need to stay home, cower in a corner, and suck their thumbs. Let me and others like me continue to live our lives FREE and UNAFRAID. You do realize that you’re FAR more likely to get killed in a car wreck than to die in a terrorist act, right? What happened to the land of the free and the home of the brave?

I, along with many others, have quit flying because of these “enhanced security procedures”. And there’s something wrong when people are fleeing the very organization trying to protect them.

1. darrell says:

scanpruf, you sound like a young narrow minded fool. prior to 9/11, which seems to be the type of security you would like we were not afraid. without security precautions like we have today it could happen again and again and again. if you want to get yourself killed why not just jump out in front of a car and become an auto accident. its about your intelligence level.

18. NiteNurse says:

Poor TSA agents they are in trouble if they do and in trouble if they don’t.

Comments are closed.