SMU Grad Found Dead In Italy

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – At first officials in Italy thought a Southern Methodist University grad had been kidnapped, but after finding the 23-year-old dead they now believe she was the victim of a hit-and-run.

Allison Owens graduated from SMU last year and had traveled to Italy to work as a tour guide.

Roommates of the young woman told authorities she didn’t return home from a run on Sunday and a frantic search ensued.

Wednesday her body was found half submerged in a canal near a heavily traveled road in Florence.

Investigators believe Owens was hit by a vehicle and possibly never heard the approaching car because she was wearing an iPod.

Late Wednesday morning SMU issued an official statement that said, “The SMU community mourns the loss of Allison Owens, a 2010 graduate, who has been reported dead in Italy of an apparent hit-and-run car accident. In 2010 Allison was named the Outstanding Student in Non-profit Management in the Division of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs in SMU’s Meadows School of the Arts. We extend our thoughts and prayers to her family and other loved ones during this difficult time.

Owens, a native of Columbus, Ohio, had studied corporate communications and public affairs at SMU and is the granddaughter of the original creator and president of Owens Country Sausage.

1. YRofTexas says:

So, are the Italian authorities looking into finding the vehicle that hit her? There has to be damage to the vehicle. There has to be some forensics in the area; on the body.
    The story is incomplete.
    I hope her family is able to make sure that justice prevails!

Prayers go out to the Owens family!

2. J says:

I didn’t know her personally, but I the same middle/high school as her. I started the year she graduated. And as someone said, this story is incomplete. The police said that they will do their best to find who killed her. What I’m afraid of is that this wasn’t an accident. I hope I’m wrong, but I think it may have been revenge for Amanda Knox getting freed.

1. YRofTexas says:

@ J : Wow. You made a GREAT point…what if this WAS revenge? What if this girl was stalked and they waited for the key opportunity? It would not be an accident, but premeditated murder.

Your comment makes sense. What timing!

1. Mr. Rude says:

The hit and run driver turned himself in after video cameras pinned him to the death. Dumba$$e$. Too many Jessica Fletcher episodes, yes?

2. YRofTexas says:

@ mr rude n crude…
      I reported your rude comment. That was uncalled for. Just because you can hide under a false name…your lack of character still comes thru.

3. Mr. Rude says:

That Dutch kid is in jail in Peru, right?

Comments are closed.