Donkeys Killed With Bow & Arrow On Fort Worth Ranch

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Bow hunting season opened in Tarrant County 10 days ago. But that doesn’t explain the strange deaths of two animals on a Fort Worth ranch near Saginaw where a lone donkey now stands in a pasture, unwilling to leave her young, which were shot dead with a bow and arrows.

“I couldn’t even believe it. I was speechless,” Karen Oney said.

Karen Oney, who works on this ranch her father owns, found the donkeys Monday morning.

“One of them had the arrow in her neck. The other one, the grey one, it had fallen out and some blood,” she said.

The donkey pasture rests between two active roadways, Highway 287 and Old Decatur Road. Karen Oney hopes someone saw something.

“There’s no trees.There’s a subdivision over here.So it had to be at night,” she said.

Police told Oney they think the suspect or suspects bent the barbed wire fence so they could get inside the pasture and closer to the donkeys, which were shot 10 feet away. The Game Warden added, “With arrowheads sharp as knives, meant for killing deer as quickly and humanely as possible.”

Oney thinks these two were singled out.

“The white one is five months old and the grey one is a year and a half,” she said.

Who would do such a thing?

“I tend to think it might be somebody with time on their hands and a new bow and arrow thing,” Oney said.

Because it really isn’t hunting when you deliberately shoot someone’s livestock. First time adult offenders convicted of cruelty to livestock animals face a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $4,000 dollar fine. Juveniles could face time in a detention facility.

But investigators may get a break in the case: Neighbors say they found a discarded bow and arrow in their yard.

Comments

1. CSI: Podunk says:

There will be fingerprints on the arrow’s shaft, or a unique brand of bow or blade or something else that will help in tracking down this person. If it’s a juvenile who did this, the dumba$$ has probably told a few friends already, so it’s just a matter of time.

1. Jason Martin says:

Maybe it was someone out of state, I live in NY and every year someone kills livestock and it’s almost always someone from the city or Jersey shooting something that isn’t what they thought it was. We had a guy come into a check point last year all proud of the albino deer he had shot and it was actually a large goat…. who knows hope they catch who did it though

2. bjefflamb says:

We had two of our horses shot and killed just last week, out in Springtown. We didn’t make the news. I hope the two cases aren’t related. My heart goes out to Oney, to have your pets taken from you is simply heartbreaking.

1. buddee86 says:

bjefflamb, I’m sorry for the loss of your horses. I have two myself and I can’t imagine the pain I would feel from such an act of cruelty! I would just be devistated! Sorry also for the donkey owners and I really hope they catch whoever is doing this, although the punishment sounds like a slap on the wrist for torturing and killing living beings!!! Unbelievable…just crazy…

3. Lois M says:

It is just horrible that someone has to prey on someones livestock. I really hope they catch them soon and bring them to justice. We live across the street from these donkeys and they are so much fun to just watch as they run and play. There are some sick sick SICK people out there. I am also sorry to hear of bjefflam’s horses that were shot and killed, that’s just sad sad sad. I am sorry to hear of your loss as well as Karen’s.

4. Traci L Robbins says:

Special place in Hell for people like this ! Thank-you Lord.

5. TFO says:

Please do not let let law enforcement handle this.; they typicaly do not share the affection for animals that others posess. If the animal’s owner will contact me I will do everything possible to find out who is guilty of this hedious crime.

1. HDW says:

Thats a baseless assumption. According to the Fort Worth Police Department, they have a Detective specially trained in Animal Investigations. I would bet they do this because they value animals as much as you do.

2. Your superhero cape is done drying says:

…and how can they contact you to remedy this HEDIOUS crime, Captain Drunkie? You left no email or anything in your post.

Glug, glug, glug…