NFL: Dallas Cowboys preseason football on CBS 11 & 105.3 The Fan | Dallas Cowboys News | Training Camp Updates | Dallas vs Seattle Preview | Pregame on 105.3 The Fan | *Texas Rangers on 1080 KRLD

ID Theft Victim Shocked By Find In Apartment Dumpster

NORTH RICHLAND HILLS (CBSDFW.COM) – Geraldine Zillions has two social security cards.  She uses one.  A criminal uses one.

“They have gone and gotten loans, they’ve gotten credit cards,” she said Wednesday.

A victim of identity theft 25 years ago, she is constantly on the watch now for actions that might risk ID theft again.  So when she saw an employee at the Tantara Club Apartments in North Richland Hills dumping boxes of paperwork into a dumpster, she checked it out, then called CBS 11.

Thousands of pages of documents filled the container.  It was years of maintenance records, lease contracts and apartment applications.

Many of the documents were 10 years old or older.  However several contained photocopies of drivers licenses, social security cards and checks.  Many of the applications were attached to full credit reports for tenants.

Texas does have a law about dumping customer data called the Identity Theft Enforcement and Protection act.

It requires a business to “destroy or arrange for the destruction of customer records containing sensitive personal information.”

Businesses that ignore the rule can be penalized by fines of $2,000.

Two employees in the management office, and a supervisor for managing company D.M.J.  Management, Inc. told CBS 11 the document dump was a mistake.  The papers were supposed to be taken to a storage room for shredding.

After CBS 11 made them aware of the information in the container, three employees returned and started filling several trash bags with the papers.

Zillions said it was a relief to see the situation remedied as she regularly see people pick through the dumpsters, salvaging for anything valuable after tenants move out.

More from Jason Allen
Comments

1. Fraud Investigator says:

DMJ is a joke. Several years ago, they filed an erroneous eviction against me, even though the rent was paid on time and debited from my checking account prior to the due date. It was dismissed, but still shows up on various search engines.
    Years later, as a Fraud Investigator, stories like this make me truly worry. There are other DMJ Properties, and one must wonder if this was a “system wide” dumping.

2. Tagg Wilsojn says:

Sounds like a pretty nosey lady to me.

Total-Privacy.us

1. Kali Dallas says:

and if it was your information being dumped in that dumpster for anyone to find and use? or what if it was someone she’d seen breaking into a vehicle or another apartment? i’d call her vigilant, not nosey – and a caring neighbor.

3. GIGI GOFF says:

A MISTAKE??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I LIVED THERE AND IT SUCKED!! STILL IS HORRIBLE!! I CAN’T STAND THE FACT THAT PEOPLE I LOVE STILL LIVE THERE!!! DMJ WAS A CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY…….IT HAS BEEN RUN BY IDIOTS AND I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THESE PEOPLE STILL HAVE THEIR JOBS, ESPECIALLY AFTER PULLING THIS IDIOTIC STUNT!!! WE SHOULD BE THANKING GERALDINE FOR CARING ENOUGH TO HELP PRESENT AND FORMER RESIDENTS OF TAN TARA CLUB APARTMENTS….I THANK GOD DAILY FOR GETTING ME OUT OF THERE 4 YEARS AGO!!

4. Tammy says:

I used to live in those apartments and now I am just wondering if my information is now out there. I wouldn’t put it past the management to have those dumpster diving employees to just put the big black trash backs out in the dumpsters this morning right before the trash man came.
    A follow up report would be great in the next day or two to see if they have the bags of shreds from shredding all that info. Deep down we know they don’t because they trashed them when the cameras were not looking.
    Were the North Richland Hills police called to handle the case? I know they said it was a mistake, but anybody can say that. Will they be charged. I think they should or they will do it again in a couple years and hope they don’t get caught by a “Good Neighbor”.
    Something has to be done because identity theft is out of control.

1. GIGI says:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH TAMMY!!! HEADS NEED TO ROLL!!!!!

5. jerry says:

its not easy to ease your credit. when some low life stole your identity and the credit report agency is a joke too. Need to overhaul everything the government put their hand on . Its a big scam your credit report. “Thank you miss nosey neighbor” U just save alot of people some headach.

Comments are closed.