North Texas State Judge Convicted Of Bribery

MCKINNEY (AP) – A North Texas jury has found a state district judge guilty of accepting a bribe that boosted her 2008 election bid in exchange for future favorable rulings in her court.

The Collin County jury in McKinney found state District Judge Suzanne Wooten guilty Tuesday of six bribery counts and one each of money laundering, record tampering and engaging in organized criminal activity. The penalty phase is scheduled to begin Monday. She could receive punishment ranging from probation to life imprisonment.

Prosecutors alleged the judge’s campaign consultant took six payments totaling $150,000 from a couple locked in a bitter child custody battle with the husband’s ex-wife.

Wooten was suspended with pay after her indictment last year.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)


One Comment

  1. joan says:

    she should have to return the pay, i can’t believe they continued to pay her and she should get life in prison.

  2. Plano Mom says:

    She should have never even been brought to trial. The whole thing was a political witch hunt by corrupt Collin County men ticked she unseated the judge before her. She recused herself from the case she is excused (and now convicted) of taking bribes for!

  3. kentex1146 says:

    It has been said that 99% of all lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. If judges are just lawyers wearing black robes and this is a logic problem, what’s the answer?

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Drip Pan: CBS Local App
Drip Pan: Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE