DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A 50-year-old man was hospitalized and four apartments were damaged in a three-alarm fire at a complex in the 10000 block of Royal Lane Tuesday afternoon.

The injured resident was lighting a tea candle when it ignited a potted plant at about 2:30 p.m., Dallas Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said. The fire quickly spread throughout the unit, starting in the bedroom.

Firefighters arrived to smoke and flames coming from the first-story apartment. Officials called for three alarms and began working to put out the fire. They contained in that unit, Evans said, and had the fire completely out just under two hours from when crews arrived.

Four units were damaged, two by fire and another two by smoke and water. The 50-year-old, who has not been identified, was taken to the hospital. No other residents or fire fighters were injured in the blaze.

The victim did not suffer any life-threatening injuries, Evans said.