Bill Jones’ Cowboys Mock Draft 2012

You heard it here first…on February 23rd.

With the 14th pick of the 2012 National Football League Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select:

Dont’a Hightower – LB – Alabama

124049323 Bill Jones Cowboys Mock Draft 2012

Linebacker Dont'a Hightower #30 of the Alabama Crimson Tide (Photo by Greg McWilliams/Getty Images)

Hightower played inside linebacker in Nick Saban’s 3-4 defense at Alabama.  He was the unquestioned leader of the defense, calling all the plays, and playing some as a rush defensive end in passing situations.  It’s that latter role that I project Hightower, at 6-4 and 260 pounds, playing with the Cowboys – a hybrid OLB/DE/ILB who can be used wherever Rob Ryan wants to in his front seven.

Hightower is projected as a late 1st round or early 2nd round selection by most draft analysts.  I presume that’s because they don’t believe he will run fast at the combine this weekend.  We shall see.  I also assume those draft analysts have yet to do their research on Hightower’s intangibles, which include leadership qualities and a work ethic that Nick Saban and Hightower’s Alabama teammates rave about.

Much more analysis to come after I watch the combine, but here’s my Pre-Combine Cowboys Mock Draft:

Note:  I anticipate the Cowboys will sign a veteran cornerback and offensive guard in free agency prior to the draft, and I also expect the Cowboys to be awarded a supplemental 4th round pick after losing Stephen Bowen to a big Redskins contract in free agency last year.

1)     Dont’a Hightower – LB – Alabama – 6-4, 260

2)     Dwayne Allen – TE – Clemson – 6-4, 255

3)     Harrison Smith – SS – Notre Dame – 6-2, 212

4a)  Kirk Cousins – QB – Michigan State – 6-2, 209

4b)  Ryan Broyles – WR – Oklahoma – 5-10, 188

5)     Derek Wolfe – DE – Cincinnati – 6-5, 286

6)     Ron Brooks – CB – LSU – 5-11, 178

7)     Greg McCoy – CB – TCU – 5-10, 182

More from Bill Jones
Comments

1. Bryant says:

Worst mock I’ve seen this year!

2. Bud says:

If the Cowboys go this route does it mean that Jason Garrett no longer has a say in the draft room? The author talks about late first round draft grades on Hightower, well first of all, the Cowboys’ first round choice is in the top half of the first round; secondly, I haven’t seen any many mocks with him anywhere in the first round.

3. E-ROC says:

I can not argue with the hightower,smith or cousins picks but the rest i totally disagree with this would be a horrible draft let’s keep in mind bill smith can not even pick football games therefore his mock daft picks has no crediability.Don’t take them seriously !!!!!!

4. E-ROC says:

OOPS !!!!! I MEANT BILL JONES

5. E-ROC says:

I MEANT BILL JONES !!!!!

6. chris says:

if he projects hightower as a late 1st or early 2nd . than why would cowboys take him at #14 . why not trade down and acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd rd pick and really stock up . i like the hightower pick just not at #14

if i could get an extra 2nd rd pick than i would grab either vinny curry or bruce irvin

i also don’t see harrison smith lasting till our pick in the 3rd rd either . from what i’ve read we’d be lucky to get him with our pick in the 2nd rd

Comments are closed.