CBS 11 Header TXA 21 Header MeTV Header KRLD Header The Fan Header

Local

Fire Officials: 3-Alarm Blaze Started By Man Grilling With Gasoline

By Carol Cavazos & L.P. Phillips, CBSDFW.com
View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – An apartment resident triggered a three-alarm fire at a complex in the 12500 block of Audelia Road when he tried to start his grill using gasoline Monday afternoon, fire officials said.

The blaze spread quickly from his balcony, igniting both the man and the entire apartment building. The man was the only person injured in the blaze. He suffered minor burns to his legs and feet.

At least four units at the Huntington Brooks complex have been destroyed and 12 were damaged, said American Red Cross spokeswoman Anita Foster. The blaze began at 1:38 p.m. and was out in about an hour.

Foster said the Red Cross is assisting 16 people who are now displaced. Residents reported smelling the fire before evacuating.

“Our little girl told us she smelled something like burning marshmallows,” said Valerie Fuller, a resident. “I went out to see what was going on and I went outside and saw the apartment next door to us was on fire. Our apartment filled with smoke.”

Dallas Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Evans told KRLD News Radio 1080 that it is against city ordinance to grill on an apartment balcony in the first place. Using gasoline, he said, is just not smart.

Investigators will determine if any charges will be pressed. The resident has not been identified.

View Comments