Nets 93, Mavericks 92: My Top 10 CBS Contemplations
10. Brendan Haywood might have had his best game as a Mav, but then again Dallas’ interior defense turned Brook Lopez into Elvin Hayes. 38 points? Most by a Mavs’ opponent this season. Unacceptable.
9. Mavs started the post All-Star break with a baseball-like nine games in 12 days. Needed to go 7-2, as only two of the nine are against teams with winning records. But after this loss, they gotta beat Memphis or OKC to get back on track. Figured the Mavs would lose one shocker in this stretch, but not the first one.
8. Mavs lost to a Lottery team on a night when Jersey star Deron Williams missed his last 10 shots. Only thing uglier was the obese, gruesome woman giving a back massage courtside to her more obese, even more gruesome husband at the start of the 4th quarter. Heebie. Jeebies.
7. Dirk Nowitzki produced a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds, but the Mavs won’t really be clicking until he starts making free throws. 7 of 11 isn’t good enough.
6. At the game was newly christened Daytona 500 winner Matt Kenseth, and two dudes wearing Nets No. 72 jerseys with “Kardashian” across the back. Funny. I think?
5. Haywood was so good it was almost unbelievable, even more so with some of the catches he made in traffic. I’m working on a theory in which he received a pre-game transplant from the Brown Hand Center.
4. Mavs are 0-2 since Lamar Odom decided to grieve his father’s stomach virus in L.A. He’ll miss tonight’s game in Memphis with what owner Mark Cuban is now calling “personal issues.” At some point Odom will return to the Mavs, right? “That’s the assumption,” said Cuban. Weird that Lam Lam’s problems aren’t serious enough for wife Khloe to not Tweet pictures of giraffes or appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
3. Thanks to an amazing steal-and-save by Jason Terry, the Mavs got a final chance for the win. But, let’s face it, Dirk and Jason Kidd – two future Hall-of-Famers – produced a miserably inept final possession. The Nets’ DeShawn Stevenson sagged off Kidd and doubled Dirk near the left elbow. The result was Dirk forced to defer and Kidd hoisting a scrambling, desperation heave at the buzzer that grazed nothing but air. Down 1 with 17.9 seconds on the clock, you’ve just got to get off a better shot. Inexcusable for a veteran team.
2. Lottery team or defending champs, you’re going to lose a majority of the games in which you start the 4th quarter by missing your first 13 shots. Mavs held Nets to 37 points in second half. And lost.
1. Sorry, but that’s the worst loss of the Mavs’ season.
(© Copyright 2012 KRLD FM / 105.3 The Fan, CBS Local. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out: