Man Fined By Arlington Over His Foreclosed Home

CROWLEY (CBSDFW.COM) – David Englett walked around his front yard Wednesday afternoon picking up trash.  He lives in Crowley, and understands that comes with being a homeowner.

But what he doesn’t understand is being responsible for something that’s no longer his.  “I feel like I’m being punished for something I didn’t do,” said Englett. “It’s really frustrating and costing me a lot of time.”

The truck driver used to live in Arlington, but two years ago his house was foreclosed.  Englett hasn’t lived there since.

Last July when he tried to renew his license he found out he had outstanding warrants.  “I don’t want to go to jail over nothing – never been to jail – don’t want to go to jail.”

The warrants were for operating an alarm without a permit, another for an old fence and one for the grass not being cut.  “I didn’t live there, so why would I worry about it the bank foreclosed on it,” explained Englett “Even when I lived there we never activated the alarm.”

According to the City of Arlington, if the title hasn’t changed then you’re still the owner and responsible for everything on the property.

CBS 11 Legal Expert Jerry Loftin says the city just wants someone to pay the fines. “If it’s foreclosed, it’s not his,”

“You have to remember cities are all about grabbing money from you I mean they try anyway they can,” said Loftin.

Clearing up the confusion is costing Englett money.  He’s already paid the city $150 dollars to remove a hold on his license, and he says he owes the City of Arlington hundreds more.

Englett has a hearing on the issue on Friday morning.  He’s hoping to clear things up.  The City of Arlington says they’re looking into his case.  “I don’t understand why the City of Arlington wants to keep on with something when I showed proof and the bank owned it and not me,” said Englett.

Also Check Out:

1. LynnM says:

Sounds like he should have just stayed there for the last two years. If the title was still in his name !!!!

2. NiteNurse says:

I’m sure if he shelled out a couple of bucks to a local attorney he could get this problem fixed.

1. Greg says:

Hey NutNurse. You clearly don’t know how to read; ever news report I’ve read has mentioned that the clear facts were presented to the city and they didn’t dismiss. You’re suggesting they should have to PAY an attorney? Makes sense coming from someone who works in the second biggest overcharging, rip-off industriues next to legal!!!

2. crowbird3 says:

That’s not the answer. The real answer is the people of Arlington need to oust their facist city politicians and clean house. As mentuioned in the story, all these crooked cities are stabbing the ones in need and others in the back by finding ways to steal from them.

3. Lisa Englett says:

We did have an attorney & he presented them with all the paperwork showing we didnt live in this house anymore & they still wouldn’t drop the case against my husband! & whats crazy the bank had the alarm turned on not us! So the BANK should beliable for this no permit ticket NOT MY HUSBAND!!!

1. Andrew says:

What bank foreclosed on you, and what police officer issued the fines? I’d like to know who I should have a word with.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow says: