Fort Worth Council Approves Modified Wal-Mart Plan

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – With a last-minute compromise, Wal-Mart won a contentious battle Tuesday night to build a new Neighborhood Market store in one of Fort Worth’s south side neighborhoods.

The city council voted 7-2 to approve Wal-Mart’s plan to build a new store at the corner of Hemphill and Berry. It will not be allowed to build in any fuel cells that would pave the way for gas pumps. It also has to leave green space along Berry Avenue for another building to be constructed.

That last portion of the agreement was intended to satisfy requirements of the Hemphill/Berry Urban Village, one of 13 a city task force identified in 2002. The concept promotes dense development that is favorable to walking and biking over driving. Buildings are not supposed to be more than 20 feet from the street, and there is supposed to be no parking lot between a building and the street.

The vote followed nearly two hours of public comment from a split crowd that filled two-thirds of the council chambers. Councilman Joel Burns originally proposed a compromise that would have also required Wal-Mart to forgo the use of 25 parking spaces that would be shared with the future building along Berry. The move was intended to encourage Wal-Mart to quickly find a developer for the space. A Wal-Mart spokesman, however, came back to the podium and said “This does not work for us. I’m sorry.”

That response prompted comments from Councilman Sal Espino and Mayor Betsy Price that a few parking spots should not hold up the potential for new development. The council voted to let Wal-Mart have the parking with only Burns and Jungus Jordan voting no.

Burns said after the vote that if the city did not intend to support its urban village plans then they should all be abolished.

More from Jason Allen
Comments

1. calvin says:

The city needs to do away with the urban villages, if the concil will not support them.

2. fabian says:

hoodies or illegals? really bert? im from around there and i served our country, i went over seas and went a whole tour in iraq. what have you done besides be an ignorant person whos scared of the outside world and judge people based on your experiences. how bout we just put this walmart around the TCU area, next to all the privilaged kids who were caught using drugs. they dont know how lucky they are to go to that school

3. Kate says:

Lol that place is going to be chaos. I’ve been over that way and it’s sooooo freaking ghetto. Sorry to say. I honestly don’t go over that way after dark though. I suggest they get a very large loss prevention team and make sure police are there A LOT.

4. Tisha says:

I just recently moved over off of S Jennings and I would love to see a Walmart nearby. For the record Bert, I am not a “hoddie” or an “illegal”. Thank you very much.

5. Tisha says:

*hoodie*

6. Tisha says:

The propensity for violence and or crimes can/does happen ANYWHERE. A few weeks ago several TCU students were busted in a huge drug operation. Now was that surprising? lol It’s not “the people” it’s the person. Oh my not in THAT neighborhood. lol Please step out of the box people.

7. PCHEZZ says:

I AGREE WITH TISHA. WE NEED A NEIGHBORHOOD SUPERMARKET IN THIS AREA. IT IS ABOUT TIME. WE ARE HOMEOWNERS AND TAXPAYERS.ALSO.. PROPS GO OUT TO THE FW POLICE DEPT. MAYBE NOW SOMEONE REALIZE THAT THE “RICH” DOES DRUGS TOO. NOW ARE THEY CALLED “HOODIES OR WHAT?.

8. MS. TAYLOR says:

IF ANYBODY REMEMBERS THERE USE TO BE SAFEWAY THERE .. AND I LIVE IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD AND I DO GO OUT AT NIGHT AND IM NOT A HOODIE OR ILLEGAL I LOVE TO CALL SOUTHSIDE MY HOME AND MY CHILDREN WENT TO PASCHAL AND I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THE BIG DEAL WAS ABOUT PASCHAL

Comments are closed.