10. In memoriam: Terence Newman. After his nine-year career ended in Dallas with his release Tuesday, the cornerback’s career lay uncomfortably between a bust and underwhelming. Players taken 5th overall in the draft should at some point be among the best five players at their position. Not so for Newman, who bottomed-out last January when he was outraced on a long touchdown by Victor Cruz and infamously hurdled by Giants’ tight end Bear Pascoe.
9. Pencil in Kyle Orton as your backup quarterback for 2012. Which is okay. He sucks, yeah, but not worse than Stephen McGee. The Cowboys tried to claim him off waivers last year, but the Chiefs snatched him up. Orton as 80 touchdowns and 57 interceptions with the Bears, Broncos and Kansas City. In an emergency, he can be Jon Kitna. Nothing more.
8. Look for Newman to try and catch on with the Bengals, and former Cowboys’ defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.
7. Why are the Cowboys scrambling for cornerbacks? Because they failed in their bid to land Nnamdi Asomugha last August, and because they swung and missed on draft picks since ’09 named DeAngelo Smith, Mike Mickens, Jamar Wall and Josh Thomas.
6. At Valley Ranch today: Panthers’ linebacker Dan Connor and Bears’ tight end Kellen Davis. Conor, an inside linebacker from Penn State, would fill the holes left by Keith Brooking and Bradie James. The 6-foot-7 Davis caught five touchdowns with Chicago last season and would step into the role polluted by Martellus Bennett.
5. Speaking of Marty B, good riddance. Here’s hoping he tricks the Giants into signing him. With all that God-given talent, he’s never worked hard enough to transform it into refined skill. No touchdowns in three seasons. What a waste.
4. Kicker Dan Bailey is more trustworthy than the released David Buehler, pretty simple.
3. The Cowboys desperately need to re-sign receiver Laurent Robinson, who led them with 11 touchdowns last season. But it’s a competitive market, what with the Cardinals and Jaguars majorly interested. At receiver the Cowboys also have no interest in bringing back Kevin Ogletree or Jesse Holley.
2. Free-agent Brandon Carr isn’t Asomugha, but he’d be an immediate upgrade over Newman. First of all, Carr will be 26 in May and Newman 34 in September. Carr has started 64 straight games since the Chiefs drafted him in the 5th round in ’08. The Cowboys could have three cornerbacks – along with Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick – in the prime of their careers. By the way the Cowboys won’t be getting Courtland Finnegan, who signed with the Rams. Or Saints’ guard Carl Nicks, who this morning signed with the Buccaneers.
1. Hindsight is always 20/20 – especially when it comes to the NFL Draft – but just think, in 2003 the Cowboys selected Newman (5th) over Terrell Suggs (10th), Troy Polamalu (16th) and Asomugha (31st). Ouch.
(Copyright 2012 CBS Local. All Rights Reserved.)
Also Check Out:
- Texas Nurse Accused Of Killing Patients With Bleach IVs
- 55-Year-Old Grandma Wants To Be Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
- Parents Use Hidden Camera To Capture Abuse Of Autistic Son
- Fort Worth Naked Man Sentenced To 18 Years In Prison
- Fed Up With Menu, Students Stage Lunchroom Boycott