Irving Middle School Briefly Evacuated Following Gas Leak
IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) – Sam Houston Middle School was evacuated Wednesday following a gas leak, district officials said.
More than 1,000 students, teachers and staff were moved to the gym and football field, said district spokesman Pat Lamb.
“They were moving gas lines and one of the lines fractured … and the odorant filled the space where the students were,” he said.
Press secretary Billy Rudolph said the leak originated on the roof.
“There is a strong odor of natural gas in the school,” he added.
Rudolph said the leak was fixed at about 2:30 p.m.; students will be released at 3:45 p.m. like normal.
School will not be delayed Thursday.