TEXARKANA (AP) - Dallas billionaire Ross Perot has visited his hometown to donate $1 million to a financially struggling Texas college he attended.
Perot on Thursday visited Texarkana College and attended a rally where he challenged the community to raise $4 million more. The 81-year-old founder of Electronic Data Systems has offered matching funds over the next four years.
Texarkana College has been facing a more than $3 million budget shortfall.
Perot was born on the Texas side of Texarkana, a city that also is part of Arkansas.
He attended Texarkana College, formerly known as Texarkana Junior College, from 1947-1949 and went on to graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy.
Perot followed his business career with two failed runs for president in the 1990s.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- AA Passenger Causes Disturbance After Leaving DFW Airport
- Bieber Tweet Overwhelms Dallas Grandmother With Frenzied Fans
- Viewers Get Phone Bill Credits After CBS 11 Investigation
- Carjacking Victim Wants Dog Back For Special Needs Brother
- Doctor Discusses Computer Vision Syndrome