Update: 3:09 p.m.
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – A two-alarm fire broke out at the General Motors Assembly Plant just after noon on Saturday, causing employee evacuations but no injuries, an Arlington Fire Department dispatcher said.
The blaze was under control around 1 p.m., nearly an hour after fire crews were called to 2525 E. Abrams St. to help put it out.
The dispatcher said flames were in a paint room as well as a rooftop air-conditioning unit. Internal sprinklers doused the fire in the paint room while fire crews contained the flames on the roof.
General Motors spokeswoman Donna McLallen said maintenance workers were changing air conditioning filters when a smoldering ember caught fire. She said on-site personnel responded and the sprinklers were activated.
The fire originated in the body shop where raw metals are welded together, McLallen said. Production was not in process, she said, so operations are not likely to be affected.
That area is closed on weekends, so no assembly crews were in the area.
Footage captured by Chopper 11 shows the charred rooftop AC unit. No one was injured during the fire and crews were seen clearing the scene by 1:30 p.m.