AUSTIN (AP) – A Texas court has dismissed the appeal of Warren Jeffs after the convicted polygamist sect leader made almost no progress on his case.
The 3rd District Court of Criminal Appeals on Thursday wrote in a two-page order that Jeffs has failed to meet filing deadlines and has altogether not responded to notices from the court.
Jeffs is the head of Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He is serving a life sentence after being convicted last year of sexually assaulting two of his underage brides at the remote West Texas ranch built by his followers.
Jeffs has represented himself since firing the last of a revolving door of lawyers during his criminal trial. He also refused to acknowledge the judge then and often sat outside the courtroom.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Also Check Out:
- PD: Lewisville Man Kills Wife After Dog Defecates In House
- Charges Against JetBlue Captain Suspected Of In-Flight Disturbance
- Dallas Snake Sighting Prompts Park Warning
- 48,000 Sq. Ft. Texas Mansion Heads To Auction
- Perfect Attendance Will Equal New Car For FWISD Student