MIDLAND (AP) – A Texas jury that found a former polygamist leader guilty of bigamy is expected to begin deciding his punishment.
Wendell Loy Nielsen could be sentenced early as Friday. He is the former president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and was once a top lieutenant to Warren Jeffs in the polygamist sect.
Nielsen was found guilty Wednesday of having multiple marriages, and testimony in the trial’s sentencing phase ended Thursday. The 71-year-old faces up to 10 years in prison.
Nielsen could have avoided jail altogether. But he renounced his original plea deal with prosecutors last year because he felt the probation conditions were too restrictive.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- PD: Lewisville Man Kills Wife After Dog Defecates In House
- Charges Against JetBlue Captain Suspected Of In-Flight Disturbance
- Dallas Snake Sighting Prompts Park Warning
- 48,000 Sq. Ft. Texas Mansion Heads To Auction
- Perfect Attendance Will Equal New Car For FWISD Student