10. Take all the Mavs, Rangers and Stars drama the last week and it wouldn’t be half the entertainment provided by Augusta National’s Sunday second nine, otherwise known as the most compelling 2 ½ hours in sports.
9. Bubba Watson gives us all hope. First of all, he smashes stereotypes in that he’s a “Bubba” from the South not afraid to wear pink. Or cry. And the guy has never had a golf lesson, much less a golf coach.
8. Best player in the tournament all week was Phil Mickelson, except for two holes. Mickelson finished only two off the lead despite carding two triple-bogeys — on No. 10 Thursday and No. 4 Sunday.
7. Shame on CBS for not giving us a report on this guy, who was hit and downed by Peter Hanson’s drive on No. 8. I guess if he’d died we’d have heard about it, but still, I’m curious.
6. Watson’s shot on Sudden Death hole No. 2 — the 10th — is one for the ages. Having pulled his drive way right, his ball came to rest on some leaves on top of the pine straw, 155 yards from the pin. No worries. He calmly launched a blind wedge, and hooked it 40 yards, mind you, onto an elevated green and merely 11 feet from the hole. Spectacular.
5. Weird that, because Spring sprung early in the South, there were no signature azaleas this week. There were, however, a plethora of birds chirping. Gotta be recorded, right? I mean, who does CBS think it’s fooling? The same bird can’t be signing the same song on four different holes.
4. Great weekend for University of Georgia alums. Tennis’ John Isner leads the U.S. Davis Cup team over France and Gerry “Bubba” Watson wins The Masters. Somewhere, UGA is smiling.
3. Didn’t miss Tiger Woods one time this weekend. The guy who was supposedly “back” two weeks ago was a non-factor, hooking drives left all tournament and finishing a hapless 15 shots behind the leaders.
2. Even if you don’t like or even know golf, you have to appreciate Louis Oosthuizen’s double eagle — er, albatross — on the 2nd hole. Dude hit a 4-iron from 253 yards that hit the front of the green and rolled more than 100 feet into the cup. Watch golf 50 years and you won’t see a better, more breathtaking shot.
1. Pink driver = Green jacket.
(Copyright 2012 CBSDFW.com, CBS Local a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
Also Check Out: