Suspect Claims Proof Of Innocence In Prosper Assault Case
PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – Arrest warrants obtained by CBS 11 Thursday in the sexual assault investigation of five Prosper teens detail what the two underage victims have told investigators.
One describes in detail a 16-year-old’s allegation that she had her clothes pulled off by Darius Hunter, 17, and another teen in a closet during a May 4 party inside a Prosper apartment.
The teen said she and Hunter kissed consensually before the other teen, who is under 17, picked her up and carried her into a closet. The affidavit says the girl told investigators Hunter then entered the closet and shut the door.
She said she told the two ‘no’ twice before they pulled her shorts and underwear off against her will. She then claims she was forced to perform oral sex on Hunter while he fondled her.
Another teen told police she had non-consensual sex in a bathroom with Garrick White, 17, and another unidentified teen. She says White and the second boy took her to the bathroom and pulled off her shorts and underwear.
In the arrest warrant, the accuser says the two boys had sexual intercourse with her. She said she was too afraid to say anything during the alleged rape.
One of the teens accused and arrested as an adult, Hunter, appeared at a news conference with his father, major league baseball player Torii Hunter, Thursday afternoon.
The two didn’t speak, but their attorney, Todd Shapiro, demanded that authorities drop charges against him and others. Shapiro told a group of reporters the Hunter family recorded a phone call from one of the victims earlier this week.
On the phone conversation that Shapiro said the Hunter family recorded, the alleged victim recanted her story that she was sexually assaulted.
“The questions were, ‘any sex acts forced on you?’ She said ‘absolutely not.’ ‘Did he ever force you to have any sex?’ She said ‘absolutely not.’ She went on to talk about this is blown way out of proportion and she can’t believe all the things that have been said in the media.”
The attorney did not play or release the recording, but did make a public request for authorities to listen to it and take action.
“I would certainly hope now that their key witness has done a complete twist and a turn and has changed her story I would certainly hope that goes into their decision making on whether or not to go forward with this case.”
Shapiro said the conversation is incontrovertible evidence that the case is baseless, but there are questions about whether the call could be introduced as evidence in court.
“We’re demanding that this case be dismissed and that an apology be made to this man and his family and the things that they’ve had to go through the last few days,” Shapiro said.
The attorney says the conversation lasts 10 minutes.