HAZMAT Called To Colleyville Business After Acid Spill
COLLEYVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – An employee at a storage business suffered serious chemical burns after coming in contact with sulfuric acid Wednesday afternoon, said Colleyville city spokeswoman Mona Gandy.
She said 275 gallons of it spilled at Metroplex Self Storage in the 1800 block of Industrial Blvd. at about 3 p.m., causing emergency officials to call out HAZMAT crews and specialists from area departments.
The businesses along with the office next to it have been evacuated. Gandy said the evacuations affected about 30 workers. North Richland Hills Battalion Chief James Brown, whose department assisted in the cleanup, said a company delivering a drum of sulfuric acid spilled it.
He said the spill damaged the container itself, which eventually lost 275 gallons of sulfuric acid.
“It started in the business, it exited the business, hit the roadway and it ran down the road,” Brown said.
An employee of Metroplex Self Storage was the person hurt, Brown said, not one of those delivering the product. Sulfuric acid was being used for water treatment.
State Highway 26, which sits about a half-block from Metroplex Self Storage, has not been closed. Although traffic is getting by, Industrial Avenue is blocked. No residential evacuations have been planned, Gandy said.
“This is a side street and it’s a dead end, so there’ll be no road closures through this particular area,” Brown said. “Based on this location, they’re pretty lucky considering where the spill actually was.”
The employee has not been identified and neither Gandy nor Brown knew the person’s status. It wasn’t clear what the sulfuric acid is used for at the business.