WACO (AP) – Brittney Griner and the Baylor Lady Bears are headed to the White House for a Rose Garden ceremony.
The national champion Lady Bears, who were undefeated with the NCAA’s first 40-win season, are scheduled to meet with President Obama next Wednesday. They will also visit with the Texas congressional delegation while in Washington.
The 6-foot-8 Griner was The Associated Press women’s basketball player of the year. Baylor’s Kim Mulkey was the AP coach of the year.
It will be the second time Mulkey takes a team to the White House. Baylor was also honored at the White House after its 2005 national championship. The Lady Bears were then greeted by President George W. Bush, whose Crawford ranch is only about 25 miles from the Waco campus.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- North Texas Middle School Principal Indicted
- Dallas Mavericks: Destruction Complete!
- Motorcyclist Dies During Garland Police Chase
- Drivers Stop I-30 Traffic To Watch Fair Park Fireworks
- Children Stranded In Dallas After Mother Dies